Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

DOCARCH wrote: »
    June 2012....my wettest month on record! What a month. 242.4mm.

Interesting. What was your highest daily rainfall of it?

Rainfall totals for a range of selected Irish stations during 1st-8th June 2012 and 10th-14th June 2013.

Good few stations recorded at least 70mm during the period in 2012 (with up to 137.2mm at Carrick-on-Suir, Co. Tipperary) whilst only Valentia Observatory stands out for the period in 2013.

c2KRc53.png

Data from Met Éireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Great weather, farmers are happy as is my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

RobertKK wrote: »
    Great weather, farmers are happy as is my garden.

Farmers are never happy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Interesting. What was your highest daily rainfall of it?

49.2mm on 3rd.

Had a few other notable days that month. 37.8mm on 7th, 25.8mm on 14th, 37.8mm on 21st and 17.2mm on 22nd.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

latest ensembles are showing a continuation of unsettled conditions into the 3rd week of June. Temperatures look set to remain below average till about the 14th of June, with a slight increase to normal values from the 15th, with no real sign of any proper warmth.

It looks a given that we're in for a largely unsettled and cool month, perhaps next week we may see more positive signs towards the last week of the month.

This is a bit like winter, chasing that cold spell, except here we are looking for signs of settled and warm conditions. We didn't get a sniff of northern blocking all winter, yet now in Summer there is no shortage of it, and that is why we are experiencing all the muck. We need this northern blocking to weaken over the month for a chance of something decent in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

km79 wrote: »
    The rainfall warning issued only a few hours ago and the morning forecast already look wrong
    Clearing to showers with clear spells in connacht and Munster by afternoon ???????
    I don’t think so

Yep - that rain front went about 100km further West than was forecast even yesterday evening.
    In fact it's looking more likely to reach the nw coast and clear from the South East coasts.
    Not the sort of shift from a forecast you want when you've cut silage the day before :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well so much for showers. Never stopped raining since about 9.30am. 10C temp.

Brought wood in for the fire tonight. This is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

We were at 6mm for month but prob another 6mm in past hour. Its been lashing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still pouring here at Dunshaughlin, gutters overflowing. Looks like it's going to stay raining into nightfall with alot more rain to come today.

Despite the unsettled outlook, I still think this will be the worst week in terms of rainfall and low temperatures. Conditions should slowly improve next week. We may even have 1 or 2 dry days next week hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I may not be able to cycle to work all week due to rain, can’t remember this happening before. Did we have weather this bad in winter or is summer more likely to be the rainier season? Shocking stuff though :(

I may not be able to cycle to work all week due to rain, can’t remember this happening before. Did we have weather this bad in winter or is summer more likely to be the rainier season? Shocking stuff though :(

Well we did have one of the most anticyclonic winters of the past decade.. other one was 2016-17.

Thing with summer is that it can be exceptionally wet or exceptionally dry depending on the pattern that develops because the jet stream is weakest in late spring and most of summer (due to little contrast in temperatures between the tropics and arctic unlike during winter) so there is not much to give patterns a push. Some years, blocking sets in the right place to deliver us hot weather like 2018 whilst other times, the blocking is in the wrong place to deliver hot weather like it was in every summer from 2007 to 2012, 2015, second half of 2017 and now early summer 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Irish weather doesn't work like that, we are subject to the movement and position of the jetstream and although temperature profile will on average be seasonal, it is not shocking or unprecedented to get a succession of low pressures at any time of year. This time last year was the beginning of a drought, next year flip the coin again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

But it really seems like I get soaked more on the bike in our so called summer rather than the rest of the year. Last year was a freak year.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭eon1208

A good June is more important than a good July farm wise. I hope this northern blocking somehow weakens.

It is ridiculous that they have not updated the rainfall forecast on Met website given how wrong it is. I would hate to be working in a job that has me relying on it. Mistakes are made as forecasting is not an exact science. But even to my untrained eye it was obviously miles off as early as 8am this morning and yet it is still the same sequence.

It is a bit of a weird day here. Flits between light, very light, very heavy then back to light rain

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It is ridiculous that they have not updated the rainfall forecast on Met website given how wrong it is. I would hate to be working in a job that has me relying on it. Mistakes are made as forecasting is not an exact science. But even to my untrained eye it was obviously miles off as early as 8am this morning and yet it is still the same sequence.

It is a bit of a weird day here. Flits between light, very light, very heavy then back to light rain

Wrong how?

As a case in point, here's a comparison between two different types of blocked summer patterns you can have.

The first chart is from 7th July 2012. There is a trough of low pressure centred over southwestern England with blocking anticyclones out in the Atlantic to the northwest of Ireland and ridging up to Greenland. With a weak jet stream given the time of year, there is nothing to push the low pressure away from the UK and Ireland due to all the high pressure out to the west. Therefore, the low pressure gets stuck around the country for a good few days before eventually getting a push by the 12th July only allowing more areas of low pressure to come in.

CFSR_1_2012070712_1.png

This second chart is from 28th June 2018 (the hottest day of the season). There is an omega block of high pressure dominating the UK and Ireland with the jet stream stuck way to the north. Iceland had one of its worst Junes on record with less than 80 hrs of sunshine recorded at Reykjavik if I remember correctly. Our weather systems that would normally affect us were displaced northwards in 2018 by a favourable blocking pattern (Scandi High and a ridgey Azores High) resulting in the coolest summer for Greenland in quite a while as the vast majority of summers have been unusually mild since 2007 there.

CFSR_1_2018062812_1.png

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Wrong how?

since that time this morning the predictive sequence has been showing the band of rain hugging the east coast leaving the entire western half of the country dry
    Now go and compare that to the radar
    Or look out the window depending on where you are based

• Advertisement

since that time this morning the predictive sequence has been showing the band of rain hugging the east coast leaving the entire western half of the country dry
    Now go and compare that to the radar
    Or look out the window depending on where you are based

It has updated now to reflect the actual weather we have had for the past 8 hours
    And looks like another 24 hours of it
    Could be worse
    Could live in Sligo which looks like it won’t be dry until Friday !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Theres been as much rain in Casement today as in May AND June 2018 combined

If anyone is travelling around Meath, caution should be taken on side roads, some flooding already on side roads, lots of surface water, even on main roads and water gushing down the side of roads. Could be some proper flooding here later on if this keeps up for another 7 or 8 hours with ditches overflowing.

What's starting to worry me is looking at the radar since this morning and very little movement has taken place.The rain seems to be pivoting around the same areas and going nowhere fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The LP is trapped by higher pressure zones on all four sides. It's going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Gonzo wrote: »
    What's starting to worry me is looking at the radar since this morning and very little movement has taken place.The rain seems to be pivoting around the same areas and going nowhere fast.

This - heavy rainfall with brief interludes of showers. Little or no variation with temp and wind throughout the day tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Bone dry in Cork City - was wet this morning alright but most of the rain was overnight.

The LP is trapped by higher pressure zones on all four sides. It's going nowhere.

Indeed.

Just in now too that May 2019 had record -NAO amplitude according to NOAA which I find somewhat odd as Iberia did have a ridge.

https://twitter.com/mikarantane/status/1135937888632344577

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Dry in Cork City but some gusts of wind, it is fairly chilly though for the start of june!

• Advertisement

I think the worst thing about this terrible terrible day is how cold it is

Advertisement