Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Timber

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pmcgowan

dubtom wrote: »
    Found this crowd while browsing.According to their site they supply to the small user, turners/carvers as well as large volume users. Haven't used them yet.
    http://www.irishwoods.com/stockroom/index.htm

I luckily live near them and found them very helpful for my first real home project in a long time; provided me with planed and edged stock as I do not have the facilities myself. Bit pricey, but then it was oak!

For a separate project I currently need 22mm diameter dowel (hardwood preferred for strength); a total of 5m or so. Have a half length from years back but now seem unable to source in usual locations such as local builders' merchants/B&Q. Any thoughts on where I might find some?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dathi

have you ever used a hard wood brush handle as a dowel you can get them in any hardware store think they are 22mm if not you can grind down the edge of a spade bit to suit

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pmcgowan

dathi wrote: »
    have you ever used a hard wood brush handle as a dowel you can get them in any hardware store think they are 22mm if not you can grind down the edge of a spade bit to suit

Never thought of that dathi. Thanks for the tip. In the end I went with 18mm diameter and seems strong enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I'm looking for some air-dried ash, one inch boards.

I intend to steam-bend it so it needs to be air-dried, not kiln dried.

I'm aware that Lisnavagh sell it, but its a bit of a trek to Carlow from here in County Monaghan.

Any ideas where I could try, maybe somewhere up North?

I'm looking for some air-dried ash, one inch boards.

I intend to steam-bend it so it needs to be air-dried, not kiln dried.

I'm aware that Lisnavagh sell it, but its a bit of a trek to Carlow from here in County Monaghan.

Any ideas where I could try, maybe somewhere up North?

Found some in LE Haslett just outside Augher in the North.
    www.lehaslett.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

hey boatbuilder. i'm in monaghan too. have started a boat at present too. I cant say enough good things about murdocks in newry. they are always comin in right on timber prices and brilliant delivery service. about twelve euro at present to deliver to carrick.

1chippy wrote: »
    hey boatbuilder. i'm in monaghan too. have started a boat at present too. I cant say enough good things about murdocks in newry. they are always comin in right on timber prices and brilliant delivery service. about twelve euro at present to deliver to carrick.

Good stuff... boats are great projects.
    I was going to try Murdocks but they wanted me to fill in this massive application form for a credit account (the wood was for work ie school)
    Heres some photos of my boat....sadly sold now :(

http://one.xthost.info/boatbuilder/boat/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I'm looking for a small block of wood, preferably oak or something similar. It's for a small bowl, that would end up being no more than 10cm in diameter (the opening that is, obviously the wood thickness would leave the final dimensions a bit bigger!)

Ideally it would be about 15-20 square centimeters and about 10cm high. It's easy to take more off and impossible to add more on if it's to small! There is a bigger version of a bowl like this at home that an old family friend made. The thickness of the wall of the bowl is amazing and looks incredible, something I'd like to try and replicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Was up in strahan timbers yesterday and they had quite the supply of hardwood. Got a nice piece of walnut,2''x7''xabout 8' for €25 ish,surprisingly,a piece of mapel,1 inch thick,same lenght was only a quid or so cheaper.

They also had a stack of what he said was native hardwood,including lime,which I've never seen any where before, may be interest to the carvers and turners here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 luscaa

any places in dublin north like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭anonanymore

Can anybody help?
    What is the best timber to use to patch and repair Victorian sash windows?
    They are standard 4 pane, painted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Anyone know a supplier of good quality lime, preferably in a selection of different cuts? Dublin/Wicklow/Kildare area preferably, since I don't have a car and there are limits to my powers of persuasion over the more mobile family members. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Probably best to ring around some of the suppliers listed in posts above :)
    Lime wouldn't be a standard timber for most suppliers to carry.
    If you are after a smallish piece another way you might be able to get some is through a tree surgeon.
    Here's one supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

slowburner wrote: »
    Probably best to ring around some of the suppliers listed in posts above :)
    Lime wouldn't be a standard timber for most suppliers to carry.
    If you are after a smallish piece another way you might be able to get some is through a tree surgeon.
    Here's one supplier
    I should have read up a few posts. :o The place you mentioned in a previous post in Rathcoole has the lime I'm looking for, and they're convenient to Blessington!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Good stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 charliejess

Nevore wrote: »
    Anyone know a supplier of good quality lime, preferably in a selection of different cuts? Dublin/Wicklow/Kildare area preferably, since I don't have a car and there are limits to my powers of persuasion over the more mobile family members. :pac:
    contact linster wood turning supplies they will deliver if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 23 anushka

jelly man wrote: »
    could anybody tell me what bass wood is im 8 years at the carpentrey game and veyer heard of it .its ment to b great 4 carving ,so if any one knows about let me know thanks
    I think the botanical name is Tilia Americana. Other names include American Lime, American Linden, Limetree. hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭TheGrump

Hey
    I'm looking for some pressure treated planed wood to build some garden furniture as Christmas presents. Anyone know the best place in Dublin/Wicklow/Meath area? As cheap as possible as I'm on a budget
    Thanks

Here's three in Wicklow:

Larry Byrne just outside Glenealy (very good prices and stock but no website and not inclined to answer the phone if it's raining, or windy, or sunny. Won't do deals - full stop).

Wood Industries Rathdrum (great prices and stock, brilliant to deal with, highly recommended. Will do deals) http://www.woodindustries.ie/

Woodfab in Aughrim (good prices and great stock. Might do deals but only on quantity) http://www.woodfabtimber.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

For those interested-
    Morgan's Timber have moved from the Dublin dock's out to the Naas road as of today.....phone number the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭spartan5397

Anyone know how do get hardwood, would like ash and or Yew, about a 7 foot plank, 10 inchs wide and 2 cm in depth?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mattwoodturner

Kiln Dried Hardwoods in Bray Wicklow. A great place for kiln dried boards and larger air dried planks for turning etc. Friendly service too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Torinfleming

kikel wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Looking for a place to get large piece of wood for a mantle piece ovver a stanley range. Anyone know somewhere i can go look for something suitable. Undecided yet what type of wood i want.

I can make a piece up for you from iroko/ oak etc routered out the back etc if you are up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Hi I want to make some internal doors for my house ,does anyone know where i can get machined stiles and mid rails ex stock. Does not have to be hardwood as painting them.
    Many Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 timberguy

We supply any timber machined to any profile.
    Come and see our showroom or check out our website www.woodcomponents.ie
    Based in Kilcoole, Co.Wicklow but deliver nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

Hi, I need to get about 3/4 inch taken off the bottom of an internal timber door. I'm in Cork. Does anybody know somebody who would do this for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 factor

Hi

Would anyone know where I might get good quality MDF cut to size in or around North/West Dublin or Meath. I know woodworkers.ie do it but they are a bit far for me and dont deliver.

A computer cutting service if possible, as the sizes need to be spot on and square. End product is kitchen doors...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

B&Q Liffey Valley offer free cutting service when you buy sheets from them HTH worth the trip:D

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

Hi all,

I have a project coming up in late spring/early summer.
    It involves building a room inside a room for acoustic insulation.
    Building the frame from 2x4 planks etc...

My question would be, would i need to go to a mill as the building is of a fair size 25msq or would there be a cheaper option for me. am thinking a mill would be my best option?

Thanks
    Peter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 trihy

does anyone know if brooks do 25mm wbp plywood?
    thanks

Advertisement