Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Online Market For Makers

• 30-07-2020 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

So on the back of a question I asked here I am putting it out for discussion as to peoples thoughts on a dedicated social media platform for Makers of woodworking projects specifically.

I'm thinking Facebook, Instagram, maybe Snapchat and even a YouTube channel.

I am fairly new to woodworking, especially to the idea of selling my projects afield compared to just creating things for close family and around my home, but for the few things I have made recently (specifically during lockdown with all the extra time we had on our hands) I find it particularly hard to find a space online that's Irish customer oriented to try and sell.

I'd interested in creating something if others think it would be a worthwhile idea. Perhaps some would like to get involved also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

So on the back of a question I asked here I am putting it out for discussion as to peoples thoughts on a dedicated social media platform for Makers of woodworking projects specifically.

I'm thinking Facebook, Instagram, maybe Snapchat and even a YouTube channel.

I am fairly new to woodworking, especially to the idea of selling my projects afield compared to just creating things for close family and around my home, but for the few things I have made recently (specifically during lockdown with all the extra time we had on our hands) I find it particularly hard to find a space online that's Irish customer oriented to try and sell.

I'd interested in creating something if others think it would be a worthwhile idea. Perhaps some would like to get involved also?

I think it would work and I still thing there would be a grant or enterprise support for a platform like this.

Yes of course you would need a business plan and the platform it would have to stand on its own, not just an instagram page but a central place for people to engage with and support local craftspeople nationwide could work.

Overheads would be low and marketing supports are available from Enterprise Boards plus a number of enterprise centres already host craftspeople.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Design Ireland would be the closest thing that springs to mind. E.g. https://designireland.ie/products/categories/all and
    https://designireland.ie/experiences/categories/wood-working/

1. As with almost every online business based here that aims to sell physical products, the biggest hurdle is a combination of our tiny local market (e.g. we have a total population the size of a small city in the US) factored against the cost of shipping being so high because we're an island.

So on one hand, you're pitching to a very small pool of potential buyers to begin with, and on the other you're shipping products that can be bulky, heavy and vulnerable to damage through an island based postal system that is sufficiently expensive to put off international buyers when they see the shipping cost.

2. The second major hurdle, is the difficulty of funnelling potential customers into a service providing disparate products.

This is a problem that I have no doubt that Design Ireland above faces, it's visible in the insufficient categorisation approach on their site. Let's say as a shopper that I want to buy a hand made stool. Without MASSIVE marketing having taken place already to ensure that I as a potential customer know about this service, I won't even know that I can go to it, to then search for "hand made stool". Instead I'm going to Google it.. and it is not cheap to get your service to be visible and you're competing with the broader international pool.

Then let's say I have heard of the service, so I go there and search but I can't find exactly what I want because the product is too niche relative to the pool of suppliers (again, tiny island) so I go back to Google.. it's really, really hard to get this right without a sufficiently large population to support the sales, to support the service, to support the suppliers, to provide a sufficiently broad range of products (i.e. Etsy works great in the USA) to entice the sales.

Crack those issues and you're sorted..

and kudos to truirish.com - they're in the first page of results for "hand made stool": https://truirish.com/blogs/tru-irish-blog/handmade-wooden-stools

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

So basically it's a non starter before it gets going then :pac:

I totally agree with you regarding the population, and in reality there are probably far more Makers of wood products out there for the market ever to need. I mean a quick scour of Donedeal or Facebook and you will find many many lads/lasses making wooden things around the country and trying to sell them on those platforms. And I'm sure the ones who have a wide friend base probably do okay and put a few quid in their pocket.

But in a country as small as ours when we have the likes of Harvey Norman, EZ Living and Ikea to name some of the big players selling furniture and wooden goods, surely the market in this country (including Northern Ireland) would support and is just begging for a one stop shop of Irish entrepreneurs making sustainable furniture/home decor/gifts at reasonable prices in most cases?

Maybe as one of these "entrepreneurs" I am somehow deluded to the fact that this is not the case and that people couldn't be arsed buying from Irish makers and nurturing a local societal drive to create, recycle and reuse wood and other materials. Maybe it's just a matter of time.. Or maybe we will never reach the levels that the US or UK has in this department.
    Or maybe the general public just don't realise what wonderful things they could buy right on their doorstep from genuine people with a flair for creating something from nothing.

I guess that's the challenge in a nutshell. Having a dedicated space where makers in Ireland are catered for and can pitch their wares to their own country.
    In reality its probably like that in many situations in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Design Ireland would be the closest thing that springs to mind. E.g. https://designireland.ie/products/categories/all and
    https://designireland.ie/experiences/categories/wood-working/

1. As with almost every online business based here that aims to sell physical products, the biggest hurdle is a combination of our tiny local market (e.g. we have a total population the size of a small city in the US) factored against the cost of shipping being so high because we're an island.

So on one hand, you're pitching to a very small pool of potential buyers to begin with, and on the other you're shipping products that can be bulky, heavy and vulnerable to damage through an island based postal system that is sufficiently expensive to put off international buyers when they see the shipping cost.

2. The second major hurdle, is the difficulty of funnelling potential customers into a service providing disparate products.

This is a problem that I have no doubt that Design Ireland above faces, it's visible in the insufficient categorisation approach on their site. Let's say as a shopper that I want to buy a hand made stool. Without MASSIVE marketing having taken place already to ensure that I as a potential customer know about this service, I won't even know that I can go to it, to then search for "hand made stool". Instead I'm going to Google it.. and it is not cheap to get your service to be visible and you're competing with the broader international pool.

Then let's say I have heard of the service, so I go there and search but I can't find exactly what I want because the product is too niche relative to the pool of suppliers (again, tiny island) so I go back to Google.. it's really, really hard to get this right without a sufficiently large population to support the sales, to support the service, to support the suppliers, to provide a sufficiently broad range of products (i.e. Etsy works great in the USA) to entice the sales.

Crack those issues and you're sorted..

and kudos to truirish.com - they're in the first page of results for "hand made stool": https://truirish.com/blogs/tru-irish-blog/handmade-wooden-stools

I've been working with wood and making bespoke products for the classic car market for a little while now, my market is primarily overseas, generally the US. I find the postal service here fantastic and very reasonable for the service that's provided, compared to courier services the post is good value for money and I've never had an issue using them.

I mainly work through FB groups, off Instagram or eBay. I've approached the LEO and did some courses but have yet to make a serious go at it but as a sideline/hobby it's going very well.

Whilst I used to do furniture/bespoke pieces etc I found the scope was too wide and varied with little income for the amount of work that was going into it. I think you need to identify a specific market, address a particular need and focus on that. A lot of people overseas, especially the Americans like the idea of a product being made for them in Ireland and aren't put off by shipping costs so that's a definite plus!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    I've been working with wood and making bespoke products for the classic car market for a little while now, my market is primarily overseas, generally the US. I find the postal service here fantastic and very reasonable for the service that's provided, compared to courier services the post is good value for money and I've never had an issue using them.

I mainly work through FB groups, off Instagram or eBay. I've approached the LEO and did some courses but have yet to make a serious go at it but as a sideline/hobby it's going very well.

Whilst I used to do furniture/bespoke pieces etc I found the scope was too wide and varied with little income for the amount of work that was going into it. I think you need to identify a specific market, address a particular need and focus on that. A lot of people overseas, especially the Americans like the idea of a product being made for them in Ireland and aren't put off by shipping costs so that's a definite plus!

I'd love to make a few things and sell them. However, exporting is a stressful procedure and really eats into your profits. Perhaps the ideal would be an Irish based website although the sales would be slow. An opening for some entrepreneur out there ?

• Advertisement

That's cool - and a good example of my second point above - you narrowed to a specific niche where the cost of shipping becomes irrelevant compared to the value of the product for the customers, and the customers come to you for something specific to that niche rather than the business relying on open-ended searching (side note: the American factor is a key component in the marketing of sites like truirish.com too; a whole load of shamrocks, celtic symbolism, aran, green and feckin' leprechauns = US sales!).

What type of classic car products do you do? (I have a hunch Triumph might be involved!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Internet Police

Ever hear of Etsy, OP?

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That Design Ireland seems like absolutely mad money for some items.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

If you can keep what you make A4 size and not too thick you have a chance to export but anything more bulky and shipping kills it.

recipio wrote: »
    I'd love to make a few things and sell them. However, exporting is a stressful procedure and really eats into your profits. Perhaps the ideal would be an Irish based website although the sales would be slow. An opening for some entrepreneur out there ?

Guess it depends on if you are selling individual units to a private buyer or bulk to a retailer, but once they are aware of the costs and happy to pay it shouldn't eat into your profits. For the former I've found it fine, but then I suppose it comes down to the size and weight of the item. You can fill out all the customs details online, print a shipping label with An Post and drop your package into the local post office, easy as really.

• Advertisement

That's cool - and a good example of my second point above - you narrowed to a specific niche where the cost of shipping becomes irrelevant compared to the value of the product for the customers, and the customers come to you for something specific to that niche rather than the business relying on open-ended searching (side note: the American factor is a key component in the marketing of sites like truirish.com too; a whole load of shamrocks, celtic symbolism, aran, green and feckin' leprechauns = US sales!).

What type of classic car products do you do? (I have a hunch Triumph might be involved!)

Dashboard and other trim panels, Triumph at the moment yes (Spitfire owner :D) but hoping to expand into other marques and develop custom fittings and fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

awec wrote: »
    That Design Ireland seems like absolutely mad money for some items.

Yes, unbelievably expensive if you ask me. :eek:

I was shocked at some of the prices for what in reality would not be hard to replicate in specific wood species. But then when you're a designer I guess you can charge a premium.

Dashboard and other trim panels, Triumph at the moment yes (Spitfire owner :D) but hoping to expand into other marques and develop custom fittings and fixtures.

Sounds great (I'm a complete and utter petrol head) - there's definitely scope for that kind of business expanding over here, small output and high value. I know I wouldn't have the patience or skill to be honest for doing quality auto trim - yikes!! :D

Side note: I've currently been waiting over a month for a single VW window seal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Just stumbled across this thread.
    I dont have any advice other than we need to question whether or not there is a market for our types of items.
    If you feel you have something that would sell made.com has a talent lab that allows you to apply with one of your pieces and if it qualifies they upoad it online to see if there is a demand for it.

I'm just not sure the handmade wooden items market is all that popular anymore.

Advertisement