Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unqualified subs

• 01-08-2020 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi there,

So today I learned that there is such a thing as unqualified teachers teaching in schools! I'm really shocked that this is a thing but perhaps it's not a big deal.

What are your views on this scenario? Surely not having learned specific teaching skills could be detrimental to young learners, I'm specifically concerned with infant classes. Also, if this situation was in a gaelscoil would this give even more cause for concern given that English etc is delayed as it is, so if there were issues would they be picked up on?

Have any of you experienced this situation, if so what was your experience?
    Also, as covid further complicates the school environment will this become more common place in the near future?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Gaelscoil teacher here , we have never had an unqualified sub, but have used retired teachers . Next year with Covid is going to be very challenging-most retired teachers won’t be willing to step in .

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Bobbins

Gaelscoil teacher here , we have never had an unqualified sub, but have used retired teachers . Next year with Covid is going to be very challenging-most retired teachers won’t be willing to step in .

Thanks for your reply. Without being too specific I think it's a possible situation we will be facing in that setting in a not long established school (a few years). Given your professional experience would you say I have cause for concern?

Thanks for your reply. Without being too specific I think it's a possible situation we will be facing in that setting in a not long established school. Given your professional experience would you say I have cause for concern?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

With Covid , there will most likely be subs who aren’t qualified teachers . Despite what Norma Foley says , there are very few subs. to be had . Those with Irish are even harder to find .

It very much depends on the sub- some may have a degree , some may have experience in working with that age group, some are natural teachers and whilst not totally au fait with the theory , are quite good . And likewise , some of the above will be close to useless.

Our infants teachers ( as do the various class group teachers) do their planning together , so that at least there’s a common standard of work. How it is implemented by a sub may be different, though .

Is your concern about a “ teacher” not picking up on issues ?
    Post edited by byhookorbycrook on

With Covid , there will most likely be subs who aren’t qualified teachers . Despite what Norma Foley says , there is are very few subs. to be had . Those with Irish are even harder to find .

It very much depends on the sub- some may have a degree , some may have experience in working with that age group, some are natural teachers and whilst not totally au fait with the theory , are quite good . And likewise , some of the above will be close to useless.

Our infants teachers ( as do the various class group teachers) do their planning together , so that at least there’s a common standard of work. How it is implemented by a sub may be different, though .

Is your concern about a “ teacher” not picking up on issues ?

I suppose initially I'm just really surprised that this happens, whilst I appreciate people may have natural skills and be an expert in their field I'm just apprehensive that there may be some things missed especially in a setting where I feel I would be relying on the teacher a little more given that I wouldn't be fluent in the learning language. Maybe this is completely unfounded worry. Having met the staff earlier In the year I found them to be very impressive but again that doesn't necessarily translate in practice, plus tat the school doesn't have a proven track record as yet.

To be honest, I'm actually not hugely put off by it, but I'm wondering if I should be!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

I wouldn’t say it is anything to be concerned about. Unqualified subs are a last.resort in schools and if they aren’t registered with the teaching council they won’t be in schools long enough to cause any damage. Final year college students do regularly sub but at that stage they’re pretty much qualified anyway and should be familiar with teaching techniques
    Can’t speak for gaelscoileanna as I don’t have much experience with them though I would imagine that the subs level of Irish has to be pretty good so again nothing to be concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭DubCount

What is a school supposed to do? A teacher calls in sick, and a qualified sub cant be obtained in the time available. The class cant be split between other classes with Covid restrictions. Would you rather send the children home? Most subs have some teaching knowledge/experience. It may not be to a fully qualified teacher standard, but its better than the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MBBrock

Speaking as an “unqualified sub”. I trained in England after doing the Irish leaving cert and all my previous Education in Ireland. I then worked full time for a few years in England before deciding to move back home. As the teaching council takes up to 12 weeks to process an application, I have been working as an “unqualified sub”. I am fully qualified with a good level of Irish and am up to date with the Irish system and curriculum, but still have to wait for my teaching council number and my SGC to be considered “qualified”. Not all “unqualified” subs are a liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

I wouldn't worry about it. To be honest I've found nearly all subs put in a great effort because they hope to make a good impression, get called back for more days, are looking for a job.

It's some teachers at it 20+ years that are worse as some have totally lost interest in the profession and aren't a bit organized, etc. Not the majority obviously but some

Advertisement