Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake watch busters

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Spocker

HDMI wrote: »
    6 of them in one listing

http://www.adverts.ie/15393808

Nuked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Keyzer wrote: »
    Lovely whatch.

Any chance people would screenshot? The mods are too quick, and I keep missing the ads!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Time wrote: »
    Any chance people would screenshot? The mods are too quick, and I keep missing the ads!:P

Would also be a great way of tracking what to watch out for when trying to avoid knock offs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Fake Patek for €1234 and he bought it for €300 but doesn't know if it's genuine :rolleyes:

http://www.adverts.ie/15492386

And photo for posterity

XpKVn42.png

That dial is horrific, it actually looks like something someone made at home on their printer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Homer

Saw that Mr John O'Citizen and I must admit I was tempted to play along for a while but then I changed my mind and nuked it! That’s one of the more obvious fakes. Had one last week where the seller listed a replica AP and I removed it. They then photoshopped out the AP logo and relisted :cool:
    I know somebody mentioned screenshots of the fakes but in the vast majority of cases they are so blatantly obvious you wouldn’t be learning much from a screenshot. It’s the ones that are priced close to what a genuine one would be that need more careful scrutiny. Might have something worth discussing in the coming days :p

Homer wrote: »
    Saw that Richard and I must admit I was tempted to play along for a while but then I changed my mind and nuked it! That’s one of the more obvious fakes. Had one last week where the seller listed a replica AP and I removed it. They then photoshopped out the AP logo and relisted :cool:
    I know somebody mentioned screenshots of the fakes but in the vast majority of cases they are so blatantly obvious you wouldn’t be learning much from a screenshot. It’s the ones that are priced close to what a genuine one would be that need more careful scrutiny. Might have something worth discussing in the coming days :p

It was myself looking for the screenshots, it was more for entertainment value like the above rather than education. From the state of some of the pictures people put on adverts it’d be hard to tell some fakes

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Homer wrote: »
    Saw that Richard and I must admit I was tempted to play along for a while but then I changed my mind and nuked it! That’s one of the more obvious fakes. Had one last week where the seller listed a replica AP and I removed it. They then photoshopped out the AP logo and relisted :cool:

Thanks Mr John O'Citizen,

Maybe if that seller had listed that at 15-20 grand I would have been a lot more hesitant to comment on his listing. But pricing it at €1234 forced me to ask him a question and his answer sealed it as a total fake.

The bigger brand fakes for most will only be caught by the silly low prices. We know Patek and the likes of AP should be costing thousands so it's easy to call them out. But honestly there are not many who would actually have first hand experience with the brands. Someday a really good fake will appear on adverts with a high price and none of us will catch it. The buyer will get burned badly, not sure how we can stop it from happening.

As for the photo's it will be good to post them just for a laugh more than anything else. I don't expect any education from them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

HDMI wrote: »

Someday a really good fake will appear on adverts with a high price and none of us will catch it. The buyer will get burned badly, not sure how we can stop it from happening.

If I could afford to buy a real Patek or AP I wouldn't have my assistant trawling through Adverts for a good second hand one :D

I get what you're saying though. A good fake Rulex, Omaga or Tag Hewer at the right price could throw you.

oxocube wrote: »
    If I could afford to buy a real Patek or AP I wouldn't have my assistant trawling through Adverts for a good second hand one :D

I get what you're saying though. A good fake Rulex, Omaga or Tag Hewer at the right price could throw you.

If youre in the market for a genuine AP, Patek, Rolex etc... you’d better be doing due diligence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭saccades

OmegaGene wrote: »

Ffs, that's terrific - the brass neck on that claim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

saccades wrote: »
    Ffs, that's terrific - the brass neck on that claim.

Screenshot for posterity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Homer

I will let the good folk here make up their own mind on this one..

Price was in the right ballpark.. seller has decent feedback on adverts.
    However, my spidey senses were tingling so I decided to investigate a little further.. made an offer to take it to PM.. asked them for date and location of purchase, service history and that I would only be interested if they could get a valuation/cert of authenticity from a reputable dealer.
    Then we get the stories about how its belonging to their fiancé.. mom lost the paperwork... :confused:
    Bought it for €4500 but cant remember where and wants to swap it for a car :D
    Then after a few more questions from me the fiance changed their mind and is going to keep it. He really loves the watch and cant let it go :rolleyes:

https://www.adverts.ie/dress/tag-heuer-carrera/15470713

https://www.adverts.ie/15544345

They are like buses lol
    This one is a very good copy
    Didn’t know there was such a thing

There are two forums that update the web address of one firm that churns out any and every luxury watch brand at a really high quality at about 600usd. It periodically gets shut down I presume by firms and lawyers.

You can get Seiko copies too.

I know that I was taking the pi55 that the seller said it’s a very good copy
    Imo any copy is a ****ter and should be smashed on sight

Fair enough, was tad drunk. ;)

Definitely fake, giveaways are the back, especially the movement with the screw in the middle. Bezel is not right either and the numbers on it are way off, can’t see the lugs clearly but from what I can see the entire bracelet is also junk

https://www.adverts.ie/15565180

€500 for a AP Royal Oak in rose gold. It’s like they weren’t even trying with that caseback

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Time wrote: »
    https://www.adverts.ie/15565180

€500 for a AP Royal Oak in rose gold. It’s like they weren’t even trying with that caseback
    Are we allowed a bit of fun before nuking ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

SCREENSHOTS PLEASE PEOPLE!!

Eoin wrote: »
    SCREENSHOTS PLEASE PEOPLE!!

You didn't get this from me....

NTRlYTI0NWRlZjhmNzcxYjU1NzM4ZWIyNGIzZWEyYjNfEZPxMjPbMmTtE7R9VVvvaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZDU4NDE5NzRlY2RjZDdlNzRkY2YxOGUxZDA4NGVkNTVjMmVkNzU5NmQxZDMzYzQzNzE2ZDJjZDAzYzVkY2M2Ni5qcGd8fHx8fHwyOTN4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

that looks like it's made of tin

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

I was finally fast enough to see one :D:D:D:D

452549.jpg

It’s certainly a one of a kind, is that supposed to be a helium valve along side the Tachymeter?

it is a replica sorry forgot to mention but a proper 1

At least it's a proper replica

Eoin wrote: »
    At least it's a proper replica

That must be why it’s “sold” so quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭893bet

He called me a nacker. A little harsh!

He sold this one. It's Quartz and automatic per his comments!

https://www.adverts.ie/15327281

893bet wrote: »
    He called me a nacker. A little harsh!

He sold this one. It's Quartz and automatic per his comments!

https://www.adverts.ie/15327281

As fakes go that’s not the worst, took me a minute to spot the flawed dial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭893bet

I am always suspicious of people whose adds are characterised by bikes/phones/TVs. Very liquid items easily transported!

Advertisement