Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Repair to back door step

• 23-02-2021 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭

We have a step down from our back door onto the patio. There must be insufficient foundations for the step as it has visibly sank away from the house causing some cracks. We can live with this as it doesn't appear to have deteriorated since we bought the house but the edge of the step has also started to disintegrate. Previous repair attempts with external filler haven't lasted (we normally have a mat on the step and only lifted it when doing some gardening over the weekend).

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

Could anyone suggest how best to go about repairing this? As I said we can live with the step having settled but would like to improve the appearance of the edge of the step.

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Pictures please

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Pictures please

Apologies, they were showing to me on desktop earlier but they're not on desktop - will post again in the am

Now with photos:

544783.jpeg

544784.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks, whatever is done , need good care not to mark the nice doors

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

It prob wont sink much further if its been there a while...
    The rest of damage is "erosion".

WHats the gap between the door and the step? Is there enough room to put some slabs down. Can get some nice stone in ~35mm profiles - wouldnt be a huge area to cover, so wont cost the earth, might go well with your doors.

• Advertisement

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    It prob wont sink much further if its been there a while...
    The rest of damage is "erosion".

WHats the gap between the door and the step? Is there enough room to put some slabs down. Can get some nice stone in ~35mm profiles - wouldnt be a huge area to cover, so wont cost the earth, might go well with your doors.

It was only put in in 2012 so not exactly confidence inspiring.

Do you mean the vertical gap between the top of the step and the underneath of the doors? So you mean place new pavers on top of the step? How would I make up the level difference beneath these where the far edge has fallen away? I suppose I could use a paver offcut to hide the front face of the step also.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Alkers wrote: »
    It was only put in in 2012 so not exactly confidence inspiring.

Do you mean the vertical gap between the top of the step and the underneath of the doors? So you mean place new pavers on top of the step? How would I make up the level difference beneath these where the far edge has fallen away? I suppose I could use a paver offcut to hide the front face of the step also.

Exactly.
    Use a good bed of mortar under neath to compensate for undulations in your step, so your fancy new stone doesn't crack. Don't blob!
    Incidentally - who did your doors? Look a bit like mine :) dk windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Could you bond a thin paving stone in,the length of the step with a sand&cement mix or something out of a tube, either the same as your existing paving or as similar as possible or even a contrasting colour to make the step obviously different from the other paving so as not to camouflage it potentially causing trips.

Good ideas, I'll do up a few measurements tomorrow and see. I have some leftover slabs from the patio that might do the job if they're thin enough.

If I don't fancy this myself, who should I get a quote from - landscapers or tilers?!

Doors were from Leinster window, we got them through an seai scheme so didn't have much choice of supplier or spec, bar colours

That looks like a fairly thin space to slot in a paving slab, so that it wont be scrapped by your door, unless your existing slabs are thin enough, they might not fit, measure them up.
    I'd say for a small job I'd be looking at what I consider synthetic adhesives, to see whats available for bonding concrete to concrete (compared to sand and cement, not even sure if that'd be suitable in this instance, if it would hold well enough or hold up to constantly being walked on.

Id be inclined to tackle that myself, as it is a small job, although it depends what tools you have, I have plenty of tools, but wouldnt have a con saw to hand myself. You might get away with needing no tools or to make any cuts. Each to their own.
    If the step is wide enough you could include a cut slab facing outwards under the flat slab partly to support the flat slab/partly to cover the damaged concrete and make it look a tidier job, but that would mean extra work and hiring something to cut the slab.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions, I've just had a play with some of the leftover pavers I have from the patio an they look like they'll fit well in the gap.

545012.jpg

545013.jpg

I'm not comfortable cutting the pavers as I only have a handful left and want to get it spot on as it will affect the look of the patio.

Do you think it's a landscaper or a tiler I should look for quotes from?

Looks like it will work alright, and the step slopes away so it doesnt appear it will snag the door when it opens, although you could make the step level,
    Not sure who would do it, I wouldnt have thought a landscaper, ring around?

What I would say is, if I was doing that job (thats not an offer) Id put the full paving stone towards the edge of the step and the cut paving stone between the outside paving and the door.

Its a matter of personal choice, but for me, Id cut a small strip of the paving to place vertically against the outward looking front edge of the step and Id place the flat paving over that, I'd say I'd do that all along the edge of the step, then do the cuts for the gap between the outside paving and the door,
    once all cuts are done, I'd lay it all out to make sure it fits and bond it in place.

1874 wrote: »
    Looks like it will work alright, and the step slopes away so it doesnt appear it will snag the door when it opens, although you could make the step level,
    Not sure who would do it, I wouldnt have thought a landscaper, ring around?

What I would say is, if I was doing that job (thats not an offer) Id put the full paving stone towards the edge of the step and the cut paving stone between the outside paving and the door.

Its a matter of personal choice, but for me, Id cut a small strip of the paving to place vertically against the outward looking front edge of the step and Id place the flat paving over that, I'd say I'd do that all along the edge of the step, then do the cuts for the gap between the outside paving and the door,
    once all cuts are done, I'd lay it all out to make sure it fits and bond it in place.
    The intention would be to level it absolutely. Agree that I'd like that vertical faces to be covered also

The paver in the photo is only an offcut, the actual pavers are much larger. Will ring around and try get someone once construction is permitted.

Advertisement