Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thirdfox wrote: »
    And I'm surprised by a price of 225 euro for a single ETA2824 unit - from my factory partner at bulk prices it's still higher than that (not much more mind).

Your factory partner is being screwed. Unless of course there are some pretty bad import taxes on bringing in European luxury goods into China?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Could be the Swiss don't like selling into China too - prefer to sell to EU partners vs HK/China mainland partners...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not for me, but along the lines of Irishplayer's Seiko alarm watch, this Favre Leuba Sea Bird from the 70's is appealing.

s-l1600.jpg

Little known today but once a respected Swiss brand. It's at 50 quid now, I'd reckon sub 300 would get it. Though with import taxes on top. Feckin brexit. :mad: Though as their overseas EU market contracts I could see UK prices softening in the coming months and years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying was in my cart and checked out within a minute because I'm a weak man. €75 shipped from Creation watches.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jaysis 46, you really can't go wrong for 75 quid. :) When I panic buy it's almost entirely down to that third glass of cheeky red. In vino veritas. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Collection-Unisex-Adults-F-91W-1YER/dp/B000J34HN4

£7.50 for an f-91w is surely too good to be sniffed at!

Even ISIS think this is a steal! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

banie01 wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Collection-Unisex-Adults-F-91W-1YER/dp/B000J34HN4

Splash out the extra on a W-800H bigger watch more readable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Collection-W-800H-1AVES-Men-Watch/dp/B000VE5XL6/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=casio&qid=1614861851&s=watch&sr=1-7

If you have prime, Amazon deducts the UK VAT and does not charge Irish VAT, so the grand total including shipping then would be £6.25 :D

I'd nearly buy one because it's such good value, but truth is I wouldn't even want one if it were free :o:p :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cheaper than changing a battery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

unkel wrote: »
    If you have prime, Amazon deducts the UK VAT and does not charge Irish VAT, so the grand total including shipping then would be £6.25 :D

I'd nearly buy one because it's such good value, but truth is I wouldn't even want one if it were free :o:p :pac:

Yeah, just bought one. €7.39 total. Never thought I'd buy a digital but it will make a handy present for a vegan I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Yeah, just bought one. €7.39 total. Never thought I'd buy a digital but it will make a handy present for a vegan I know.

LOL. Don't get me started on those analogue vegans!!! Grrr :D

fat bloke wrote: »
    LOL. Don't get me started on those analogue vegans!!! Grrr :D

It's more the resin strap they prefer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Saw a guy on Etsy doing stealth mods on these and converting them into key-chain watches. €19.

il_1140xN.2915146817_g4y5.jpg

It arrived. €7.39 Brand New with Tags, original box & papers. :D

546064.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

893bet wrote: »

Sweet ****ing Christ!

That is an eye watering amount of wealth in a box!
    That is quite a collection, some absolutely beautiful pieces.
    There's one of the elite, one of the lads that doesn't worry too much about waiting lists.

That's mental. There must be a load that he just never wears. There's a guy on reddit with a serious collection too, tourbillon001

This was a recent post. But I think sells on a lot, so smaller collection

Cienciano wrote: »
    That's mental. There must be a load that he just never wears. There's a guy on reddit with a serious collection too, tourbillon001

This was a recent post. But I think sells on a lot, so smaller collection

Scrolled through his posts.
    I thought one ALS was special, then I saw the pantomatic and the slew of other high end pieces.

Granted he may be flipping, but there is a level of wealth on display there that would need a euromillions win to emulate.

It is lovely to see those pieces in the wild so to speak.

And how lovely is it that we are salivating over 6 figure pieces a couple of posts below a Casio at €7.50!
    This thread is beautiful :D

Him and his mate both had Patek-philippe perpetual calendar minute repeaters. You'll see a ferrari blurred in the background in some photos

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/bpvfep/patek_repeaters_hanging_at_the_bar/

893bet wrote: »

Just wondering, but why on earth would someone pay €70k for that watch? It looks like sh1t and that stretched bracelet will be worse than uncomfortable to wear. The only reason I can think of is pure speculation? Or perhaps snobism? Look at me I am well beyond stage 6 and now into vintage or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

Just wondering, but why on earth would someone pay €70k for that watch? It looks like sh1t and that stretched bracelet will be worse than uncomfortable to wear. The only reason I can think of is pure speculation? Or perhaps snobism? Look at me I am well beyond stage 6 and now into vintage or something?

Genuine rarity.

All them hard to get Rolex are common as muck. This is truly rare.

I agree though. Prefer any modern reference personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I agree with you really, those old "unpolished" Rolex are a bit scummy, but those collectors are just crazy for the patina and originality. That the watch has made it this long without being overhauled is like catnip to this type of collector, and it market value is probably more than 70k.

I dont get it, looks knackered to me but I appreciate the purist collector view.

His collection is above criticism, I can see a journey into high high end horology and exquisite taste. I am unworthy to touch the helm of his garment. There is a couple of unworthy watches in there, but I shall allow it given the average level on display. Those ming watches do nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Cienciano wrote: »
    Him and his mate both had Patek-philippe perpetual calendar minute repeaters. You'll see a ferrari blurred in the background in some photos

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/bpvfep/patek_repeaters_hanging_at_the_bar/

Looks like he has a Veyron too, the lad is not playing around.

Fitz II wrote: »
    I agree with you really, those old "unpolished" Rolex are a bit scummy, but those collectors are just crazy for the patina and originality. That the watch has made it this long without being overhauled is like catnip to this type of collector, and it market value is probably more than 70k.
    Pretty much this. The vintage Rolex crowd go nuts for originality, it seems no matter how tatty it looks. Like you say the fact it hasn't been refreshed by Rolex in the interim makes it rare. Years back on another forum a guy chimed in with enquiries about his dad's Rolex. Turned out it was/is a Milsub his father had been issued with in the 70's. Problem was his dad had sent it in for a Rolex service a few times since he got it. They'd replaced the unique to the Milsub hands and the bezel. They'd even drilled out the fixed lugs. What was left of the original was the dial and case and most of the movement. Now of course it was still a valuable watch, but the servicing had absolutely decimated what would have been the value if had been left alone. Now I can well understand Rolex and this chap's dad not caring about that sorta thing back in the 70's and 80's. It wasn't a thing yet to nearly the degree it is today, but still.

There was a very similar Rolex again years back on teh Antiques Roadshow. Described as an issued milsub, but had the mercedes hands and was on a bracelet so clearly the fixed lugs had been altered. Again I'd reckon through servicing down the years. Could well have been the owners requesting the changes too. Wanting to make it look more like a "proper" Rolex with the right handset and the ability to wear it on a rolex bracelet when vintage was just an "old watch". Getting dials "cleaned" AKA redials was very much a thing in the old days too. Well if a man had a watch for all his adult life and didn't want it looking tatty it's a logical thing to do. Even brands would offer the service.

On the other hand you have the Heuer Bunds where the market wants them to look like they were made yesterday(and many were...).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

One man's patina is another man's "rust" i.e. oxidation - hence me getting the Seamaster relumed - can actually use the lume rather than the "patina-ed" lume.

It can also be dealerspeak too. With added Eastern promise of "Wabi". Tropical dials one example. We can't find a dial that's not fecked so we'll sell it as more "authentic". For me personally if it's pre 1945 some age is fine and expected really. Post that date I'd be less happy, but I would still prefer some age to things. NOS and restored is another minefield. Depends on the type of watch too. I'd take more wabi on a tool watch than I would on a dress watch.

G-Shock Full Metal Ltd Ed €365 Watchia

https://www.watchia.com/eu/casio-g-shock-legend-of-steel-limited-edition-500-pieces-worldwide-gmw-b5000gdltd-1er.html

The only thing "limited" is the packaging; the watch inside is a production model GMW-B5000GD-1ER. Which has a RRP of €550/£499.

attachment.php?attachmentid=546349&stc=1&d=1615292467

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Just in case someone wants a retro feel for little or no money
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000J34HN4/

Now down to GBP5.58 and free delivery if you have Prime. It's absurdly cheap alright. Still not buying it though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Now down to GBP5.58 and free delivery if you have Prime. It's absurdly cheap alright. Still not buying it though :pac:
    My first watch was one of these in the early/mid nineties. I bought with my pocket money at the arcade in Tramore. I loved that thing, especially the light. Wore it for years until the strap disintegrated.

The force is strong with these Casio’s lately. Always wanted a g shock but they were too expensive for me. I remember repeatedly flicking through the Argos catalogue lusting over them as a kid. 25 years on I’m flicking through Internet forums lusting for them again. Some things don’t change.

Advertisement