Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Launch New Asylum Policy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Will the 3 months apply to AS in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Geuze wrote: »

Assume so but Ireland has an opt out of this under Lisbon Treaty but lets be honest I don't see the Goverment using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not a hope we will deportation in 3 months ,
    1400 deportations in something like 20 + years ,yet we've seen 60,000 through dp alone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

Geuze wrote: »

Have you met our Learned friends in the law industry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭FGR

Gatling wrote: »
    1400 deportations in something like 20 + years ,yet we've seen 60,000 through dp alone

This statistic alone is outrageous at the very least.

What is it about this country and an inability to modernise and streamline its legal system?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

We are a weak civilization despite our wealth and technology, in the decadent phase before the fall. it may take a generation or a few centuries, but we will fall just like Rome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

jay0109 wrote: »
    Have you met our Learned friends in the law industry!
    Yep, between the Irish legal profession and the other asylum "business" families, there is way too much money made from the asylum industry. The Irish government will respond to the vested needs in this country, including the numerous CEO-led asylum NGOs, rather than follow a logical approach to the endless stream of non-EU economic migrants who want to come to Ireland in the guise of asylum seekers.

Whatever causes the greatest pain to the Irish worker will ultimately be the government's direction with this new EU policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

FGR wrote: »
    This statistic alone is outrageous at the very least.

What is it about this country and an inability to modernise and streamline its legal system?

Lawyers lapping up the gravy train , appeal after appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Question.
    If we were to follow the EU rules and move to the 3 month decision model. What do you want all the underemployed solicitors and barristers to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Question.
    If we were to follow the EU rules and move to the 3 month decision model. What do you want all the underemployed solicitors and barristers to do?
    Hopefully get deported too.
    We do not want those types of characters in our country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Question.

I’d be quite happy to have them on the dole.
    Or they can get another job like what any other person in life does when they lose their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

airlines struggling , this new policy, I think I have a solution,

Dear Michael O Leary, the Irish government is going to bail you out in the form of paying for 60,000 one way tickets from Ireland to a bunch of countries that are spectacularly too far away to be the first landing point for any asylum seeker. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

No more infinite appeals.
    Applicants with claims examined under the border procedure will only avail of one right to appeal. Stricter rules will also be introduced to discourage unfounded or subsequent applications with the sole aim of preventing removal.

Reading the amended proposal, countries can now rescind asylum statues for sericeous crimes or if the person poses a danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭creeper1

Any asylum policies from EU are designed to give away the homelands of the native peoples. I’m always very, very suspicious of anything coming out from them.

But you know what? Since you are mentioning the fall of Rome. Constantinople stood as descendant of the Roman Empire for about 1000 years after Rome itself fell.

In the long term Western Europe is likely Sweden. Absolutely finished. However I hope Eastern Europe can continue to hold out against the fascist EU.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

creeper1 wrote: »
    Any asylum policies from EU are designed to give away the homelands of the native peoples. I’m always very, very suspicious of anything coming out from them.

But you know what? Since you are mentioning the fall of Rome. Constantinople stood as descendant of the Roman Empire for about 1000 years after Rome itself fell.

In the long term Western Europe is likely Sweden. Absolutely finished. However I hope Eastern Europe can continue to hold out against the fascist EU.

Eastern Europe is holding the line for sure. They value their countries and want to preserve some sort of an identity for themselves. Mainland Europe is a mess now and it's so sad to see.

Europe is acting as a pressure valve for all these terrible countries by taking their excess angry young men. This needs to stop. In effect Europe is being destroyed to protect the elites of the middle East, Pakistan, and Africa.

It's very strange that RTE do not have this story in their main news feed on the app, however about 8 stories down, they are still displaying that 35 houses in Galway have been rented to house ASs. Weird. Why don't they report it on the top of news?

It's very strange that RTE do not have this story in their main news feed on the app, however about 8 stories down, they are still displaying that 35 houses in Galway have been rented to house ASs. Weird. Why don't they report it on the top of news?

The same reason whenever there is crime and stories about gangs who are prodominatly Africans running amok across the country get no mention in the media ,rte then had zero issues running the blm protests here despite breaking covid restrictions but apparently that's a positive story

Probably can't figure out how to spin it, going by the news this morning a lot of the NGO are up in arms about it.

The EU is infallible, migrations is always good, and the NGO aren't a bunch of money grabbing morally superiors zealots. Can't have the EU and the NGOs at odds and no Irish politician from the big parties is going to want to stick the neck out, and the smaller indie/3 letters types won't get on to air their grievances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Nothing in the Journal either.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

Lawyers lapping up the gravy train , appeal after appeal

It's not the lawyers acting on their own to make money. It's the NGO's/activist groups who sponsor the lawyers or have them on retainer. The NGOs have a personal stake in making appeals and keeping the numbers of migrants in Ireland.

We really need to be drastically slimming down on the number of NGO's supported by the State if we expect anything to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

3 months? I have to say i'm pleasantly stocked

3 months? I have to say i'm pleasantly stocked

3 months after 10 years of court actions and appeals

More than likely. Still surprising it says 3 months rather than 3 years.

3 months after 10 years of court actions and appeals

The 3 months is the time limit for the asylum decision, that includes time for a single appeal.

There's no more appeals of appeals, just the original case and subsequent appeals don't give the person leave to remain while those appeals are in play.

I'd love to get a read of the circulars and memos that are being dispatched around law library members on this.
    Both before this week's announcement and since.

I'm not sure what power the lobby here has, but this proposal is a serious threat to many of the law library's poorer quality solicitors and barristers. It won't affect those who are skilled and earn their crust through good law practice.
    However like those who live off the free legal welfare, if enacted here, the 3 month thing, enforced through agreed EU law, would seriously impact on law library members' ability to make a living.

The NGOs surely must be circulating documents internally also. As a poster above stated, they have serious interest at stake. Existential interest. Which in itself is disgusting.

I can't see it being introduced here, the tax payer will continue to have to fund the arriving illegal migrants, the desperate legal teams who sniff around and the NGOs who have nowhere else to get a job.

Unaccompanied, or children under 12 (with parents nearby) would be exempt from the new rules.. so.. nice little loophole there for the NGOs to play with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBeVdy7bU-M

The part about children is at the end. Although I found it amusing that the video in the background shows the NGOs giving life vests to migrants, and bringing them in on rubber boats, while talking about these supposedly stricter procedures, but not one reference to how the NGOs are affecting the migrant transfers...

Sure, the new proposals sound nice but I'm still skeptical. It just sounds like PR spin, since there's not really much that's new compared with previous proposals and what was applied (but not enforced).

Unaccompanied, or children under 12 (with parents nearby) would be exempt from the new rules.. so.. nice little loophole there for the NGOs to play with.

There's gonna be some amount of bearded children!

This policy threatens the livelihoods of a lot of people: providers of AS accommodation, legal profession and NGOs

There's gonna be some amount of bearded children!

This policy threatens the livelihoods of a lot of people: providers of AS accommodation, legal profession and NGOs

You can even see their wisdom teeth when they are laughing at us.
    Does anybody remember when most refugees were women children and old people fleeing fighting, while the men fought a rearguard to get them out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Mick Barry PBP has introduced a bill to overtune the 2004 referendum on citizenship and was inspired by BLM protests. Hope the Green's don't force Goverment on this.

Advertisement