Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why aren't there more strong Dublin accents in the media?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I can't win really. I'm from Kimmage and had a stronger Dublin accent. When I got my PhD and travelled to a conference in UCD I remember a girl from a private school in Greystones referring to me as posh. It's all quite ridiculous.

Kimmage accent being posh jaysus I think she was being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Interesting you say 'Dublin accent' as less than half the people in Dublin would have this type of accent. Far more people would have what would be normally described as a Southside accent, which is a middle class Dublin accent.

The accent you are describing is the traditional working class Dublin accent - I dont know any other way to describe it really.

If there is a better way, let us know.

Its a good point though.

The answer really is that most people who work in Media are middle class. Thats it in a nutshell, Joe Duffy was an anomaly and only got into RTE because Gay Byrne took him under his wing. Its not just media though, its any profession that is typically middle class. You wont find too many doctors with strong Dublin accents either, or Dentists or Solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I hate being called "posh" by folk with strong working class Dublin accents, I would regard myself very middling, wouldn't mind having "posh money" though

This - I lived for a long while in an area that had a mix of so-called middle class and working class. The difference 100% was the accent and culture, it had flip all to do with income. A lot of the middle class people would have been teachers and would have damn all cash, while a lot of the working class would have been in trades or construction and would have been loaded, new cars, fancy holidays etc.

And yet some people would still make out the middle class were somehow posh, used to annoy me no end.

The difference is entirely one of culture. A big dividing line for example was voting (FG/ LAB vs SinnFein) or where people stood on things like water charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Kimmage accent being posh jaysus I think she was being sarcastic.

I'm not sure how Kimmage it is anymore to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

I'm not sure how Kimmage it is anymore to be honest.

Oh a fake Kimmage accent.

When the new Luas line gets built in Kimmage your people will be no more. Wiped out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I put this up before but to me, this is the quintessential older dublin accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQobhG6PORA

There was a Dublin trade unionist and signer and irish speaker, can't think of his name at the moment, who believed it was Luke Kelly that made the Dublin accent acceptable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

mariaalice wrote: »

Unfortunately now the Dublin accent has morphed into some bastardization of misprnouncing most words and generally sounding like a junkie.

There is a reason it's not more in the media, to be in the media you should speak properly. They should teach kids to speak properly inschool. It doesn't mean you lose your accent - you can still have an accept but prmounce your works and use grammar properly. I find it a bit sad that speaking proper English and using correct grammar is now considered 'posh'.

Zascar wrote: »
    Unfortunately now the Dublin accent has morphed into some bastardization of misprnouncing most words and generally sounding like a junkie.

There is a reason it's not more in the media, to be in the media you should speak properly. They should teach kids to speak properly inschool. It doesn't mean you lose your accent - you can still have an accept but prmounce your works and use grammar properly. I find it a bit sad that speaking proper English and using correct grammar is now considered 'posh'.

That is why I said older Dublin accent very few under 40 would have that accent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Oh a fake Kimmage accent.

When the new Luas line gets built in Kimmage your people will be no more. Wiped out

I think the culchie brogue has wiped out the accent by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Zascar wrote: »

At one extreme, the 'Dort' accent and at the other extreme the nasal junkie-like whine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's a fella acting.

This is what the old Dublin accent is like:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

It's an atrocious accent.

Bambi wrote: »
    It's a fella acting.

This is what the old Dublin accent is like:

Stanley Townsand the actor in the video i shared is from Dublin I think he nails the accent quite well, your video is a great example very few people speak like that today.

All accents evolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

There was a Dublin trade unionist and signer and irish speaker, can't think of his name at the moment, who believed it was Luke Kelly that made the Dublin accent acceptable.

Des Geraghty I imagine.

Ideal for six one news?

https://youtu.be/8cxNNzdp8eU?t=12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

No offense to Dubliners, but at times how they pronounce certain words confuses me as to how they are actually supposed to be pronounced. Same could be said with certain parts of Tipperary and Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

glasso wrote: »
    Ideal for six one news?

https://youtu.be/8cxNNzdp8eU?t=12

Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Because it would be like a drill into the side of your head to listen to...

I spent a day working in santry as part of my Job.
    That was far too long to have to listen to that accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Fair City actors aren't convincing as humans let alone Dubliners.
    Billy Barry robots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

People with strong accents don't usually make it into broadcasting.

This doesn't relate to Dublin accents on their own. You'll never hear a strong cork, limerick or belfast accent either.

The same applies in the UK.

Ypu'll never hear anyone with a strong scouse, cockney, geordie or brummie accent. This even applies to local and regional radio.

No offense to Dubliners, but at times how they pronounce certain words confuses me as to how they are actually supposed to be pronounced. Same could be said with certain parts of Tipperary and Kerry.

That's a general thing. I'm a dub and I find that with people from other parts of Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I don't know.Some of the TG4 broadcasters and reporters have very strong Donegal accents and it's very hard to understand the "gaeilge" from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

This doesn't relate to Dublin accents on their own. You'll never hear a strong cork, limerick or belfast accent either.

Ypu'll never hear anyone with a strong scouse, cockney, geordie or brummie accent. This even applies to local and regional radio.
    What is the point of having someone with a strong local accent reading the news if the
    rest of the country cannot undestand them?
    There is no shortage of regional accents in drama series on t.v. However if its a Scouse the character is usually a "scally". If its a Dublin working class accent the character is usually a thug or not too bright. Too much stereotyping

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think the UK has regional accents on TV but, as you said, not very strong regional accents. But to be fair, you need to be well spoken to be on TV so even a regional accent sounds milder when well spoken. A well spoken Midlands accent will still sound like a Midlands accent but it is a lot milder than the accent of someone from a rough estate in the same town.

BBC has regional accents. They have laura kuenssberg as a main Westminster correspondent and the main nighttime news reader, Hue Edwards, has a Welsh accent.

When the BBC want to appeal to younger audiences they use regional accents too. Stacey dooley has an Essex accent and yer man Ben Zand has a pretty real Liverpool accent. Though they have to modify their accents to make sure they're understood easily.

Edgware wrote: »
    What is the point of having someone with a strong local accent reading the news if the
    rest of the country cannot undestand them?
    There is no shortage of regional accents in drama series on t.v. However if its a Scouse the character is usually a "scally". If its a Dublin working class accent the character is usually a thug or not too bright. Too much stereotyping

Presumably they'll select people who have clear voices for positions like those.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Channel 4 seems to do regional accents too when they're talking about the next show coming up etc.
    Anyway I don't want to hear strong Dublin accents or any strong accents reading the news etc, most are painful to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Real Life wrote: »
    Brian Kerr represents to the fullest

"..he's after gettin' a right bang in the mush there..."

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

Stovepipe wrote: »
    I don't know.Some of the TG4 broadcasters and reporters have very strong Donegal accents and it's very hard to understand the "gaeilge" from them.

I'm the same but thats actually a different issue. Donegal has its own dialect of Irish (as has Connemara and Kerry).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

crossman47 wrote: »
    I'm the same but thats actually a different issue. Donegal has its own dialect of Irish (as has Connemara and Kerry).

I was fluent in Irish as went to preschool and primary as Gaeilge, but when I went to the Aran Islands when I was 12 I couldn't understand the Fear and Bean and Ti to save my life. It just goes to show how far removed the makey uppy language they unsuccessfully teach kids nowadays is removed from the actual language.

Advertisement