Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Massive Battery Drain - PlayStore Update (Aug 2020) [Merged]

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Sorry just to ask is it both storage and cache or just cache? Don't want to end up deleting apps or something

You won't delete apps, i just did the cache and it seems fine now but to be sure to be sure I'd say delete storage as well, it'll rebuild the data it needs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Please, can everybody make sure to reinstall the covid app if they've removed it trying to fix this, the reasons for installing it haven't gone away!
    It's a Google Play issue, clearing the data on it seems to resolve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I cleared the cache on all my apps. That should make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

ectoraige wrote: »
    Please, can everybody make sure to reinstall the covid app if they've removed it trying to fix this

I have uninstalled the app and cleared cache as advised. Seems to be ok at present.

Just wondering when I go to reinstall the app will I have to go through all registration steps again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I didn’t go near the Covid app. Cleared all data and cache on Google Play services which was the real culprit and that sorted it.
    I have the Covid app running as normal without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

You don't have to uninstall the app. Just click on Force Stop when you don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Edit: will start a separate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

HSE reporting a google issue - not specifically related to the Covid app
    Details from Newstalk -

https://www.newstalk.com/news/covid-tracker-app-hse-working-google-amid-reports-battery-issues-1058201

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

https://www.newstalk.com/news/covid-tracker-app-hse-working-google-amid-reports-battery-issues-1058201

HSE reporting issue with google - not directly related to Covid app.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Hey guys for the google play app do you have to click into 'manage storage' and then 'clear all data'? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Thanks, glad that is sorted.

Seems like some people tried to blame the Covid App for the issue, which does not appear to be the case

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    Hey guys for the google play app do you have to click into 'manage storage' and then 'clear all data'? Thanks

Yes, that's it, but note it's the Google Play Services app, not the Google Play app.

Thanks, glad that is sorted.

Seems like some people tried to blame the Covid App for the issue, which does not appear to be the case

It seems it's related to the mechanism that Google and Apple introduced to support COVID contact tracking apps, Google made a change in a recent update but it only affected people who were using contact tracing apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

ectoraige wrote: »
    Please, can everybody make sure to reinstall the covid app if they've removed it trying to fix this, the reasons for installing it haven't gone away!
    It's a Google Play issue, clearing the data on it seems to resolve the problem.

+1

My wife works in healthcare in one of the LOK counties.
    She took many calls in the last couple of days from people who got notified by it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Note 7 started this yesterday, play services using 63% of battery, recharged twice in 12 hours,

Play services won't uninstall and revert to previous releases, so I tried deleting cache and data, had to do that more than once to fully clear things out, and for now, that seems to have solved it, play services is now down to less than 1% battery usage.

Watching it carefully to see if it remains stable

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Same thing happened with my s10. Google play services taking 63% of the battery by itself. getting cpu warnings, overheating and battery being drained.

I uninstalled the covid app and wiped the cache which seems to have solved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Did a factory reset on an Xperia XZ2 (before I saw this thread, thought my battery was goosed)
    That should solve the issue as well?
    Would a restore from back up put back the caches that caused the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Google Play Services & the Covid App are both causing massive battery drain over the past two days... Phone depleting in the space of an hour...

Have deleted Covid app and uninstalled updates for Google Play Services...

Anyone else experiencing similar?

Yep, this just started happening on Friday night, I have had the app installed for weeks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,759 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

what's the best option for the galaxy S8 ?

Tried this on my s10 and it worked

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I haven't noticed this issue on a pixel 3a for some reason.

• Advertisement

I haven't noticed this issue on a pixel 3a for some reason.

Do you have contact tracing turned on in the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Apparently Nearform pushed a bad file causing the devices to constantly parse the file.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭thebronze14

I thought it was just my phone. I was actually going to buy a new one. I'm glad I read this thread first.
    In the same boat, thought it was another phone about to bite the bullet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Heroditas wrote: »
    Apparently Nearform pushed a bad file causing the devices to constantly parse the file.

I'm confused, who was at fault?
    Nearform or google?
    The app is now removed from my phone until I regain confidence in it receiving stable updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭flazio

And me.
    The good news is my factory reset worked in resolving the problem. The bad news is having to sign back into everything and put the phone back how I had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

I have same and thought my 2 year old phone might need replacing.

I can't see where to clear the cache as mentioned earlier. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

tina1040 wrote: »
    I have same and thought my 2 year old phone might need replacing.

I can't see where to clear the cache as mentioned earlier. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Depends on the phone and android version. You go to something like settings -> apps -> click the app -> storage -> clear cache or with some phones you can also long hold the app icon -> click app info -> storage -> clear cache.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Update : My phones seems to be back to normal, google services is back down to using 1.4% of battery . Even went ahead and reinstalled the covid app .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Update : My phones seems to be back to normal, google services is back down to using 1.4% of battery . Even went ahead and reinstalled the covid app .

Advertisement