Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing 101- recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

If I may jump in here and ask a related question - any recommendations on casual but padded cycling wear?

I already have couple of good bibs (thanks to halfords boardman sale) and couple of nice looking jerseys as well. However, lately I feel a bit hmm "overdressed" in them - as in - for the kind of gentle riding I do - slow, steady, long but relaxed sightseeing - rather than riding with a group, or going for kmph targets, I feel I don't really need this tight fitting lycra business (err.. in other words, I am tired of holding my breath every time I cycle past a shop window where I can see my own reflection :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

nilhg wrote: »
    It's great, but probably too warm this time of year, doesn't pack up as well either.

Cheers. I actually emailed them and that's what they said. They recommended ventultra gilet/ for this time of year.

I was wondering why one would have 4 or more gilets but now can easily understand.....

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

positron wrote: »
    If I may jump in here and ask a related question - any recommendations on casual but padded cycling wear?

I already have couple of good bibs (thanks to halfords boardman sale) and couple of nice looking jerseys as well. However, lately I feel a bit hmm "overdressed" in them - as in - for the kind of gentle riding I do - slow, steady, long but relaxed sightseeing - rather than riding with a group, or going for kmph targets, I feel I don't really need this tight fitting lycra business (err.. in other words, I am tired of holding my breath every time I cycle past a shop window where I can see my own reflection :o)

Mtb shorts but probably won't be as well padded as road short or you can buy padded underwear

dinneenp wrote: »
    Cheers. I actually emailed them and that's what they said. They recommended ventultra gilet/ for this time of year.

I was wondering why one would have 4 or more gilets but now can easily understand.....

You only really need one gilet to keep your chest warm in showers and or going downhill in the wind and the run you have there fits the purpose.
    For winter just buy a jacket like the mistral again from galibier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

What are peoples views on the Altura brand? Seem like decent quality?

• Advertisement

Tony04 wrote: »
    You only really need one gilet to keep your chest warm in showers and or going downhill in the wind and the run you have there fits the purpose.
    For winter just buy a jacket like the mistral again from galibier.

Call me stupid but what do you wear if its getting a bit nippy in the evening or early morning? Gilet does that job as well-correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Call me stupid but what do you wear if its getting a bit nippy in the evening or early morning? Gilet does that job as well-correct?

At this time of year yes but you might want something more than a gilet in the winter & what you linked to earlier is a bit too warm for this time of year but possibly not warm enough for winter

Yeh a gilet should do that but is better for keeping your chest from getting drenched in showers and and keeping your chest warm on descents. It's a protection layer more than a thermal layer.

Personally I'm the warm blooded type so would only consider layering up under 10 degrees. If you want to layer up a long sleeve jersey and maybe long sleeve thermal base layer should answer your question.

In winter then buy a waterproof jacket like the mistral for the typical grimy weather, but personally if the weathers dry and cold I'd rather a long sleeve jersey as washing jackets undo the waterproofing, I know you can respray it but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

What are peoples views on the Altura brand? Seem like decent quality?

I've a Altura nightvision long sleeve. It's a good heavy option if its particularly cold out. It's good quality stuff though, and seems to be on sale frequently enough too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭nilhg

Many of the gilets i have would have windblock panels on the front and something much lighter (even mesh) on the back, that works well for me, I don't like a chill on my chest but we are all different. If things warm up, dropping the zip 4 or 5 inches aids ventilation, really it's a matter of finding what suits yourself best

• Advertisement

Gilets....and I thought buying a bike without trying it out first was difficult ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Gilets....and I thought buying a bike without trying it out first was difficult ;-)

The bike is just an excuse to buy the gear.

Hi yet again,
    I'm almost finished annoying ye as I have almost all my gear sorted. Back to bib shorts, any recommendations from these?
    Caratti Sport Bib Shorts £40

Galibier PELOTON BIB SHORTS £44 (if available, they don't appear on my product page

dhb Classic Bib Shorts £44

TRIBAN RC 500 PADDED CYCLING BIB SHORTS

Thanks!
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

Hi yet again,
    I'm almost finished annoying ye as I have almost all my gear sorted. Back to bib shorts, any recommendations from these?

Galibier PELOTON BIB SHORTS £44 (if available, they don't appear on my product page

Thanks!
    Pa.

i don't know the others but for DHB i would pay the extra for aeron.
    quality and fit is much nicer for me than the classic. i started with the classic but since i got the aeron i never wear them.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-bib-shorts-1

Hi yet again,

Thanks!
    Pa.

I own a pair of the Caratti shorts, and would highly rate them

dursey wrote: »
    I own a pair of the Caratti shorts, and would highly rate them

How do they compare to your other shorts? Also I've seen on reviews that the stitching isnt the neatest, is that so?
    I've been eyeing them for while but haven't pulled the trigger as I haven't heard much about them...

Tony04 wrote: »
    How do they compare to your other shorts? Also I've seen on reviews that the stitching isnt the neatest, is that so?
    I've been eyeing them for while but haven't pulled the trigger as I haven't heard much about them...

All down to personal preference really, the pad has creases in it, rather than just a big block.
    Never notices the stitching tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭.red.

I'm looking for a pair of gloves. I got caught in a heavy mist last night and had zero grip on the bar tape so did my final 20k on a very slight downhill gradient holding onto the hoods for dear life.
    What should I look for? Full finger? Fingerless? Any brands or particular types?
    For now I really only want them for in the wet in the summer if I'm caught out like last night.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

For precisely the use case you describe I rely on a trusty pair of Carnac Roubaix gloves. They're not waterproof, not even water resistant, but they're light, have good grip on wet bars, and give you a bit of windproofing to boot. Pack small too so they can go in the jersey for virtually any ride outside of deep winter. The Planet X 365 race gloves are also worth a look but I haven't had a pair myself.

With P/X it's a good idea to load a few items into your cart and take advantage of the all-in shipping price.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCARULRAG/carnac-roubaix-gloves

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/PX365RG/planet-x-365-race-gloves

Hi (yet again),

Any recommendation for cycling shoes, budget €80 or thereabouts, can go slightly higher. I don't plan on changing shoes for summer (Summer, what's that?....) and winter.
    I have Look Keo Classic 3 pedals
    I've no idea what stiffness is ideal for me- cycling is an hour or two spins atm. I went into a local shop but they had extremely limited selection.
    There's some I've spotted:
    365X SINGLE DIAL COMPOSITE SOLE ROAD SHOE

Northwave Core Road Shoes 2019
    Northwave Jet 2 (actually no as would go for hte Core, seems more breathable)

Giro Techne Road Shoe

B'TWIN 500 SPORT CYCLING ROAD CYCLING SHOES - BLACK

dhb Troika Road Shoe

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

I quite like Shimano shoes - they are a good fit for me. I had a pair of Giro shoes and they were a bit tight and I ended up with numb toes - not a nice feeling! Here's something in your price range (Shimano RP3).

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=132981

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Hi (yet again),

Any recommendation for cycling shoes, budget €80 or thereabouts, can go slightly higher. I don't plan on changing shoes for summer (Summer, what's that?....) and winter.
    I have Look Keo Classic 3 pedals
    I've no idea what stiffness is ideal for me- cycling is an hour or two spins atm. I went into a local shop but they had extremely limited selection.
    There's some I've spotted:
    365X SINGLE DIAL COMPOSITE SOLE ROAD SHOE

Northwave Core Road Shoes 2019
    Northwave Jet 2 (actually no as would go for hte Core, seems more breathable)

Giro Techne Road Shoe

B'TWIN 500 SPORT CYCLING ROAD CYCLING SHOES - BLACK

dhb Troika Road Shoe

Cheers,
    Pa.

Have a look at briando's mega for sale thread on here before you shop anywhere. He usually has shoes at brilliant prices - picked up new pair of Northwave road shoes last week for approximately 1/3rd RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Have a look at briando's mega for sale thread on here before you shop anywhere. He usually has shoes at brilliant prices - picked up new pair of Northwave road shoes last week for approximately 1/3rd RRP.

I've been waiting for one of those threads for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Probably been recommended before but could anyone recommend a bike rack for a small car? Only need it for one road bike. Seeing mixed reviews for ones from Halfords and on Amazon. Alternatively has anyone bought one from a bike shop they would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I got a second hand thule one on adverts or donedeal a few years ago for 30€ and it's savage, thule is usually expensive and great quality. Be worth looking there for any good quality 2nd hand ones

Probably been recommended before but could anyone recommend a bike rack for a small car? Only need it for one road bike. Seeing mixed reviews for ones from Halfords and on Amazon. Alternatively has anyone bought one from a bike shop they would recommend?

I bought the one that's same as Halfords one-straps & L shaped metal. Tok a while to fix bike securely but did the job for Galway to Dunmore East. If for infrequent use I'd recommend it.

I have a hitch top tube bike mount i got a few years back in halfords. Have transported my "good" carbon fibre bikes without issue on it. On a budget its definitely worth while
    That being said i am considering saving up for a thule hitch wheel mounted rack for the peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

I know the question has been done to death but good winter shoes? Looking for a shoe/overshoe combo rather than a winter boot

Have a white pair of Fixzik R5 tempos that I really like and was thinking of getting a black pair - but I know there are a lot of ventilation holes that would be counterproductive as a winter shoe.

Currently have a black pair of Cronos (bought out of CRC) covered in PVC tape that are a bit of a squeeze compared to the Fizik's

Has anyone any thoughts over the R5 tempo vs R5 powerstrap? Have it in my head that maybe t
    he strap would be a bit better and easier to fit with overshoes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I’m looking for recommendations for a winter jacket. Needs to be warm, and somewhat waterproof. Budget is €100, any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I’m looking for recommendations for a winter jacket. Needs to be warm, and somewhat waterproof. Budget is €100, any recommendations?

Probably the new Galibier Mistral.

Advertisement