Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Forum Stats Updates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Out of interest Loughc, is it just the number of posts you can see or can you see how many different people are posting? Just wondering if there is more people posting regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    Out of interest Loughc, is it just the number of posts you can see or can you see how many different people are posting? Just wondering if there is more people posting regularly.

Was only thinking that myself yesterday, i.e. is the increae in posts due to regulars posting more often (banter aside :pac:) or more people popping in & getting involved?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just the number of posts from first view it just seems to be people posting more regularly. Where in October-December it’s a case of different people popping in to post.

Loughc wrote: »
    Just the number of posts from first view it just seems to be people posting more regularly. Where in October-December it’s a case of different people popping in to post.

Thanks. Guess some of us are like a bad smell you just cant get rid of! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks. Guess some of us are like a bad smell you just cant rid of! :D

Hey! I resent that! Somebody's bad smell is someone else's pine-scented candle! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thanks. Guess some of us are like a bad smell you just cant get rid of! :D

And we wouldn’t want to either :D

And we wouldn’t want to either :D

Ahh shucks..... always nice to be wanted :D

BTW Loughc, i hope we'll get the oficial end of month total at some stage after all this chatter about going better than last year:D
    I reckon we'll beat it by a fair bit.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

So what the punishment if we don't reach our target posts each month :P:P

kitten_k wrote: »

X9XMKJc.jpg

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    X9XMKJc.jpg

Some people might like that though :p

Sorry getting into giddy time on a Friday!

kitten_k wrote: »

I release my podcast :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

What’s the podcast on?

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    What’s the podcast on?

Christmas of course! :)

Sounds perfect. All I’d have to do is listen.

So it goes without saying but we beat Jan-19 figures, by 98 posts :)

We also broke the 1,000 posts mark which is something we didn't achieve last year until Sept-19.

A very strong start of the year for us, which should be boostered by the fact February has an extra day this year we can utilise! :P

So it goes without saying but we beat Jan-19 figures, by 98 posts :)

We also broke the 1,000 posts mark which is something we didn't achieve last year until Sept-19.

A very strong start of the year for us, which should be boostered by the fact February has an extra day this year we can utilise! :P

Go us. Onwards and upwards.....

The thing is, January brings with it all the post Christmas chat after most of us go back to work & discuss the couple of weeks we had off, February doesn't have the same background content to generate posts so rather than aim for a set target of so many posts I'd say simply use Feb 2019 as a benchmark. No idea if thats a good/bad month in terms of volume but with plenty of regulars in here chatting away nowadays (which is brilliant to see btw!!) I see no reason we couldnt up the post count on previous years, but hitting a 1000 every month might be tough as we get into spring & summer. Unless of course e get close to that anyway, then all bets are off :D

Actually Loughc, heres an idea for the more stat minded amongst us, could we have a sticky at the top of the forum showing the monthly figures year on year so we can see the trends, then you can simply update them as the information becomes available & we all have a handy reference point to check back against. You could lock the thread so theres no loss of information and only yourself or Posy could update.

I'm a huge stats fan & can look through them for hours depending on the subject so just thought I'd ask. If its too much work, no bother at all.

The thing is, January brings with it all the post Christmas chat after most of us go back to work & discuss the couple of weeks we had off, February doesn't have the same background content to generate posts so rather than aim for a set target of so many posts I'd say simply use Feb 2019 as a benchmark. No idea if thats a good/bad month in terms of volume but with plenty of regulars in here chatting away nowadays (which is brilliant to see btw!!) I see no reason we couldnt up the post count on previous years, but hitting a 1000 every month might be tough as we get into spring & summer. Unless of course e get close to that anyway, then all bets are off :D

Yeah I'm always aiming to better the same month from last year and not last month.

So I'm comparing Feb-19 to Feb-20, as you put it there is a big drop off from Feb-19 when compared to Jan-19, we need to remember that the first week of January is still part of the Christmas season.

• Advertisement

I think there’s loads for us to be nattering about even in February. Especially with Valentines and Rudolph days coming up. I think it’s the perfect occasion to put the twinkly lights back up too.

Yeah I'm always aiming to better the same month from last year and not last month.

So I'm comparing Feb-19 to Feb-20, as you put it there is a big drop off from Feb-19 when compared to Jan-19, we need to remember that the first week of January is still part of the Christmas season.

While stats can be great, they can also be misleading.

900 posts in Feb, down 100 on Jan- Boo, things are going downhill :(

900 post in Feb, up 100 on last Feb- Yay, we are doing brilliant :)

In such a seasonal business, I think comparing to the same period in the previous year is probably the best indicator of how things look.

However in saying all that, I personally just hang around to chat with like minded people so am not too worried if there is more or less posts (obviously more posts means more to chat about.........im rambling now........time to step away from the keyboard!)

Is just about the 3rd busiest day.

Randomly enough the busiest day of the week so far for us is Wednesday, it seems hump day is tough, I think last year it was Monday/Tuesday were the 2 busiest days.

Monday is now the busiest day of the week, followed closely by Wednesday separated by only 5 posts.

Funny how trends are changing as we move further into the year.

Seems to be a drop off in posts this month too, that the case or just a case of me being in here less due to work being manic?

Seems to be a drop off in posts this month too, that the case or just a case of me being in here less due to work being manic?

Work and personal life being manic stopped me from posting as much since Friday.

People's social lives tend to pick up in February, 6 nations, pub days, gigs, etc. all tend to take away from social media and us here.

Well I certainly didn't contribute much (nothing!) the last few days :(

Will try to make up for it over the rest of the month.

Work and personal life being manic stopped me from posting as much since Friday.

People's social lives tend to pick up in February, 6 nations, pub days, gigs, etc. all tend to take away from social media and us here.

Was only thinking that earlier today too. We've definitely seen our social life pick up this month and with the kids matches and training back in full swing on top of longer work weeks we definitely have less time for social media. Inevitable really after we get out of dreary January.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It makes sense, as January is still Christmas for a week, then post-Christmas.

Ringing in the new year, Little Christmas, taking down decorations, going back to work, waiting 28 years to get paid, first Rudolph Day of the year. January is miserable, but there is often still a lot going on.

February has pancake Tuesday, though, my favourite public holiday. :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    It makes sense, as January is still Christmas for a week, then post-Christmas.

Ringing in the new year, Little Christmas, taking down decorations, going back to work, waiting 28 years to get paid, first Rudolph Day of the year. January is miserable, but there is often still a lot going on.

February has pancake Tuesday, though, my favourite public holiday. :pac:

It's my birthday month too, not that I'm counting at this stage mind LOL.

• Advertisement

It's my birthday month too, not that I'm counting at this stage mind LOL.

It’s a leap year. We all get to skip our birthdays this year. That’s how that works right??

Advertisement