Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you believe in God?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Absolutely. Honestly cant imagine my life any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sometimes, sort of, I think.

Humans are complex creatures and go through many phases in their lives.

When your young and healthy you view religions with a correct amount of scepticism.

However as we age and our actual mortality is brought into clearer focus we search for something to give meaning to existence, yes, yes younger people reading that are sniggering believing they won’t. But the vast majority of humans on their final throw of the dice view things differently, nearly everything differently.
    Part of that is the possibility of the existence of something bigger that connects things and gives meaning to it all.

I can tell you with the certainty of experience that when your sitting at the moment before the consultant says whether you have a terminal issue or not, in your head you will be pleading to someone or something that the result is good or that the end is quick and easy.

It’s hard wired into our species, one just has to look at the plethora of religions that literally span the globe, that’s not accidental.

So ask yourself not if there is or is not a god, but more to the point when your life and mental fortitude will be pushed to the stage when you really hope there is a god and that he/she/it hears and answers your call, that stage will come to us all, some sooner and for some later, but nearly all of us will face it and the vast majority make the call for help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

_Brian wrote: »
    I can tell you with the certainty of experience that when your sitting at the moment before the consultant says whether you have a terminal issue or not, in your head you will be pleading to someone or something that the result is good or that the end is quick and easy.

It’s hard wired into our species, one just has to look at the plethora of religions that literally span the globe, that’s not accidental.

So ask yourself not if there is or is not a god, but more to the point when your life and mental fortitude will be pushed to the stage when you really hope there is a god and that he/she/it hears and answers your call, that stage will come to us all, some sooner and for some later, but nearly all of us will face it and the vast majority make the call for help.

With respect, that's your experience but also getting that bit older and having been through some traumatic events in recent years myself, consideration of a god has never entered into it. I suspect a lot of people who were raised religious will fall back on religion in later years, but if like me you've never been religious this isn't the case.

LuasSimon wrote: »
    I’m not sure what happens in the afterlife but I like many get great comfort out of my faith , saying a few prayers every Saturday night and praying for whatever intentions are on mine or my family and friends radar at the time . Been part of a community each week and even simple peace be with you handshakes with other parishioners each week brings a sense of belonging and strengthens been part of a community . It’s estimated locally 30-40% attend mass weekly which ain’t bad these days . I find the whole thing therapeutic and good for the head as opposed to sitting on the couch at home .

All beliefs aside, I can certainly appreciate the communal aspect of religion and the benefits it provides on that basis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I know God doesn’t exist, but I try to live like he does.

How does God live? Do you turn people into pillars of salt for example?

• Advertisement

LuasSimon wrote: »
    It’s estimated locally 30-40% attend mass weekly which ain’t bad these days . I find the whole thing therapeutic and good for the head as opposed to sitting on the couch at home .

Is that what you think non mass goers do on a Sunday morning? I find the complete opposite.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I Am God.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I Am God.
    Nothing quite like a boards moderator getting ahead of itself. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

railer201 wrote: »
    Nothing quite like a boards moderator getting ahead of itself. :D
    I was God way before being a mod. I shall smite thee.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

A lot of believers seem to believe based on - What they i get out of it ......at church/mosque then they are total saints, then the rest of the time total A-holes.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I was God way before being a mod. I shall smite thee.

Stick around - there's a few dissatisfied punters in here who would like a chat with you ! :D

dvdman1 wrote: »
    A lot of believers seem to believe based on - What they i get out of it ......at church/mosque then they are total saints, then the rest of the time total A-holes.

.......and then we get to go to heaven - it just ain't fair Joe ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

God is a DJ

Necro wrote: »
    It's an interesting question OP.

I'm not particularly religious anymore (youth, parents blah de blah, same as most kids from the 80s in Ireland probably). I don't really think I believe in God, or a God, or 70 gazillion Gods or whatever.

Though maybe I do? I kind of want to believe that there's something after death, that it isn't just the end and we're wormfood and that's it.

For me the one comforting part of religion is the insistence that John or Mary or in my case my departed close ones have gone on to paradise, or an afterlife, or something.

I kinda like that idea, and it's the one part that EVEN if it's complete and utter horsecrap, it gives comfort to a lot of people whilst they try and deal with the grief and loss of their loved ones.

And look, even if it's a total crock of sh1t, does it really matter? It's not like you can come back and tell us all about it.

You are right. Humans need religion. They need religion in their lives to fill the vacuum of not knowing where we came from or where we go after death. I guess many organisations and people have abused that need to know.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    God is a DJ
    I dabbled in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I'd like to think I do. Light candles in a church for people that have passed away in my life. And I certainly identify as an Irish Catholic for ethnicity purposes.

Having said that, I'm firmly of the belief that when you die you're absolutely gone. If an afterlife does exist, it makes no sense how anyone would actually know what it's like there.

The church have been responsible for the most heinous crimes against individuals since the state got independence. And suicide bombers are mostly influenced by religion to carry out what they do.

I think I believe in God, but not in religion, while also thinking an afterlife doesn't exist.

To a large degree all of Humankind (not all individual people, just a sufficiently large percentage of the whole) have a natural inclination towards finding comfort and assurance in the principle that there is some benign higher power looking down on them benevolently from above.

The burden of proof attached to this statement can, I believe be very comfortably met by simply pointing out that every societal gathering on the Planet has independently found some form of Deity and begun to worship it.

This innate tendency within the human being has served to beget hundreds of diverse religions everywhere. These religions grow from this common seed and then become massive bureaucratic entities which have more in common with Global Business Corporations than promoters of decent moral values and saviours of souls.

Crucially it has been demonstrated time and again that these organisations will always seek to protect their own 'staff' and interests ahead of the victims of their endemic sexual, physical, emotional and monetary abuses.

We're not living in the dark ages anymore people, in my view the religious among us are now indefensible in their selfish outlook as they explain away the Churches every sin in order to continue blindly with their own personal religious indulgences.

Ignorance is simply not an excuse any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I couldnt take anyone seriously who believed in such nonsense tbh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Having a belief in one imaginary thing can be a slippery slope to all kinds of dangerous nonsense. Even if it seems benign at first.

It's good to be open minded, but a bit of common sense goes a long way.

I voted No.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Mango Joe wrote: »
    To a large degree all of Humankind (not all individual people, just a sufficiently large percentage of the whole) have a natural inclination towards finding comfort and assurance in the principle that there is some benign higher power looking down on them benevolently from above..

Not saying you're wrong, but I am certainly not one of those people. As a child, I used to believe in God the way I believed in Santa Claus or Australia. I had never seen any of them, but people I had reason to trust told me they existed, and there were lots of books and pictures and films about them.

I later decided the adults were right about Australia, wrong about God and kidding about Santy.

But even when I believed God existed, I now realize I wasn't actually religious. I thought his existence was a fact like the existence of the Moon, but religious people don't really seem to believe he exists that way, they have a special version of belief for God's existence which is very peculiar, completely different from belief in the existence of dragons or sea serpents or wombats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Mankind's inability to contemplate the unknown led to the invention of God to explain it. From a very young age we are taught that God is all seeing, all knowing and ever present therefore it is a natural reaction to fall back on God when things go belly up.
    From earliest times God was associated with the most powerful and unexplainable things like the sun, moon, planets,wind water etc. These were the things that controlled your existence and could take it away in the blink of an eye, therefore they commanded respect and awe. Gradually this respect and awe developed into worship and adoration. The ancients would carry their Gods into battle with them and whichever side won, their God would be considered more powerful on the day. This has gradually progressed into modern religion to the exten that up until relatively modern times, wars and conquests were in the name of the various Gods. Even the spread of Christianity is attributed to that being the particular God responsible for a victory on a particular day. If it had been the next day then half the world could be Jovians or Neptunites or whatever.

• Advertisement

Mango Joe wrote: »
    To a large degree all of Humankind (not all individual people, just a sufficiently large percentage of the whole) have a natural inclination towards finding comfort and assurance in the principle that there is some benign higher power looking down on them benevolently from above.

Not so sure it is the comfort of some benign higher power or simply a fear of death that involves termination of the conscious self. The promise of an afterlife for the chosen few is a pretty big carrot where every true believer knows in their own mind that they number among that chosen few and the various multitude of other heathens and sinners will burn.

smacl wrote: »
    Not so sure it is the comfort of some benign higher power or simply a fear of death that involves termination of the conscious self. .

This is a rather Christianity based view - Buddhists don't believe in a benign higher power, and many think the point of living well is to escape from afterlives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The real question is does God believe in you.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    The real question is does God believe in you.

Or as Peter Green put it
    Now, when I talked to God, I knew He'd understand
    He said, "Stick by my side and I'll be your guiding hand
    But don't ask me what I think of you
    I might not give the answer that you want me to"

Or Paul Simon:

Some people say Jesus that's their ace in the hole
    I never met the man so I don't really know
    Maybe some Christmas if I'm sick and alone
    He will look up my number
    Call me on the phone and he'll say
    Hey, boy, where you been so long
    Don't you know me
    I'm your ace in the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

bnt wrote: »
    You can see this in the speeches and books of Jordan Peterson: I think he has some good things to say about responsibility etc., so I'm puzzled when he goes on about Bible stories

In fairness he believes paintings of intertwined snakes from our past are actually not paintings of intertwined snakes but evidence that ancient people, through nothing but the use of hallucinogenic drugs, were granted knowledge of the existence of DNA and it's double helix nature.

He also claims that there must be a god because otherwise people could not do art or.... wait for this..... give up cigarettes.

So I am not sure he would be my go to guy on this kind of topic. :)
    _Brian wrote: »
    So ask yourself not if there is or is not a god, but more to the point when your life and mental fortitude will be pushed to the stage when you really hope there is a god

Much like the "Atheists in Foxholes" narrative.... or the death bed conversions of atheists into theists..... when I hear people talk like this it just suggests to me that the probability of thinking religiously goes UP in proportion to the amount of stress and duress you are under..... and hence inversely proportionally to how rational and clear thinking you are in a given period.

Which has always made me wonder why theists go on about things like death bed conversions and foxholes. They are literally standing up and saying "Look, the less rational you are capable of being, the more likely you are to believe what I believe!".

Seems a strange things to advertise openly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

No I don't and pretty much not bothered by anyone who does. What does bother me is the people who don't understand their beliefs are not fact. Things like saying "God is truth" are just brainwashing mantras. They generally mean nothing.
    I remember some guy going on about how homosexuality was wrong because the bible said so. The gay guy talking to him says he doesn't agree. The guy runs to a bible to show him where it says it in the bible so it is wrong. He just couldn't understand that people reject the bible as fact. What is bizzar to me is that people are so selective on their chosen religion picking and choosing what to believe or follow. Follow or don't follow otherwise you are a hypocrite.

In fairness he believes paintings of intertwined snakes from our past are actually not paintings of intertwined snakes but evidence that ancient people, through nothing but the use of hallucinogenic drugs, were granted knowledge of the existence of DNA and it's double helix nature.

He also claims that there must be a god because otherwise people could not do art or.... wait for this..... give up cigarettes.

So I am not sure he would be my go to guy on this kind of topic. :)

Much like the "Atheists in Foxholes" narrative.... or the death bed conversions of atheists into theists..... when I hear people talk like this it just suggests to me that the probability of thinking religiously goes UP in proportion to the amount of stress and duress you are under..... and hence inversely proportionally to how rational and clear thinking you are in a given period.

Which has always made me wonder why theists go on about things like death bed conversions and foxholes. They are literally standing up and saying "Look, the less rational you are capable of being, the more likely you are to believe what I believe!".

Seems a strange things to advertise openly. :)

Well, this is very true. I must confess (!) that I did pray internally when my partner was very ill. It didn't seem to clash with my atheism though. I think the word atheist confuses people.

I also think that a lot of the noise around this debate exists because the god concept is so unclearly defined.

Ive been bluntly faced with a higher power in the middle of a mushroom trip, but after I came down, I didn't rush to mass.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    No I don't and pretty much not bothered by anyone who does. What does bother me is the people who don't understand their beliefs are not fact. Things like saying "God is truth" are just brainwashing mantras. They generally mean nothing.
    I remember some guy going on about how homosexuality was wrong because the bible said so. The gay guy talking to him says he doesn't agree. The guy runs to a bible to show him where it says it in the bible so it is wrong. He just couldn't understand that people reject the bible as fact. What is bizzar to me is that people are so selective on their chosen religion picking and choosing what to believe or follow. Follow or don't follow otherwise you are a hypocrite.

That attitude seems more political than religious. Well, they've always been entwined anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Well, this is very true. I must confess (!) that I did pray internally when my partner was very ill. It didn't seem to clash with my atheism though. I think the word atheist confuses people.

I also think that a lot of the noise around this debate exists because the god concept is so unclearly defined.

Ive been bluntly faced with a higher power in the middle of a mushroom trip, but after I came down, I didn't rush to mass.

The idea of a non religious person praying when a relative is sick is something that is brought up often, but I find the idea that you have to pray to a loving god to save a child or a person too young to die a bit repulsive really.
    Also, does the idea of prayer do away with the notion that god has a plan. Is it not a case that god has a plan until someone prays to him to suggest otherwise?

Advertisement