Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

You wouldn't really be entering a contract if it was PAYG would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Does the ole 'i'm going on holidays for 6 months to australia can you unlock it' still work?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭duckofdeath

Most other countries does have a ban on locked PAYG phones, but in Ireland it's still allowed. So, you're technically entering a contract according to their view. I don't know why this haven't changed yet. Anyhoo, the "contract" lets them lock the phone for a year after you've bought it.
    I don't know how much those shops charge and I also don't know if there are any risks with it. I'd guess something like 15-20 euros. You can always try and google your phone if it's unlockable online. Some phones does have the feature built right into the firmware.

Probably the only way they can tie people to their crappy network. Definitely worth the €150 for unlocked.

Ah don't know. I want to move away from them but an extra 150 euro would be a no fookin way for the note 9 for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Testament1

Basil3 wrote: »
    Urgh. That would be around €600 if I purchase ex VAT through work. Not sure I have the power to resist.

I'd be happy to take it off your hands at that price haha

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Plenty of shops that just get you the unlock code. No voiding of the warranty. I'm on Vodafone and getting the unlock code that evening from the old phone repair shop where I used to work. I can guarantee the codes come directly from Samsung.

How much money does that cost I'd be interested in doing that if I get the note

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Is it difficult at all to unlock a three prepay phone? I am with three at the moment but would like to swap to that good vodafone offer, since I more often than not while travelling can't even use my data on three due to dropping down to edge

My launch day / pre pay Note 8 (3) was never locked in the first place.

You might luck out...

Otherwise, you get can get an unlock code on eBay for about 10-15 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Unlock codes usually on ebay for a tenner and nearly always work

• Advertisement

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Plenty of shops that just get you the unlock code. No voiding of the warranty. I'm on Vodafone and getting the unlock code that evening from the old phone repair shop where I used to work. I can guarantee the codes come directly from Samsung.
    What shop is this and how much would they charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Is it difficult at all to unlock a three prepay phone? I am with three at the moment but would like to swap to that good vodafone offer, since I more often than not while travelling can't even use my data on three due to dropping down to edge

I'm with 48, on the 3 network. Just spent a week in Spain with my brand new shiny S9 Plus. No data roaming no matter what I did. No settings they proposed worked. Common issue it seems.

I'm with 48, on the 3 network. Just spent a week in Spain with my brand new shiny S9 Plus. No data roaming no matter what I did. No settings they proposed worked. Common issue it seems.

I'm such a country bumpkin I actually meant travelling in ireland :o I have to toggle aeroplane mode off and on to get back to 4G most of the time

Did 3 never even sort that much out? That crap was going on when I briefly tried them in 2014.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Did 3 never even sort that much out? That crap was going on when I briefly tried them in 2014.

I have absolutely no issues on 3, and currently pay €20/month instead of the €80 I used to pay on Vodafone. The €700+ saved a year goes straight into the phone purchase fund :)

I have absolutely no issues on 3, and currently pay €20/month instead of the €80 I used to pay on Vodafone. The €700+ saved a year goes straight into the phone purchase fund :)

Going to 3 seriously damaged our business until we switched back. Wouldn't consider them even if it was a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Patww79 wrote: »
    Going to 3 seriously damaged our business until we switched back. Wouldn't consider them even if it was a tenner.

None of the networks are great in this country still in the dark ages, even go over to the UK and see the difference, most masts are all 4G, no investment here. I'm on Vodafone and if you go outside a town or city you'll be lucky to get signal inside a house even in some villages zero signal. Even along some major routes signal can be awful.

Preorder with 3 placed.

One of my workmates is getting it through Vodafone with a free Samsung Gear S3 classic. Makes it a decent deal, you could easily sell that watch for €200+.

Oh that is interesting. If you could be guaranteed to get 200 quid for it without hassle it's definitely cheaper. But I don't see that offer on their website, is it available to everyone?

edit: by the way I have preordered mine with three.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Preorder with 3 placed.

One of my workmates is getting it through Vodafone with a free Samsung Gear S3 classic. Makes it a decent deal, you could easily sell that watch for €200+.

Is that offer on the website?

• Advertisement

Regarding the Vodafone offer, I have no idea. My workmate used to work for Vodafone, and he bumped into one of his old workmates who told him about the offer.

Haven't actually verified for myself, as I've gone with 3. Apologies if he has no idea what he's talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

No problem, going to more than likely go for three as well just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

Is anyone upgrading from the note 8? I want it but with the s10 coming FOMO I don't know what to do.

Chibs wrote: »
    Is anyone upgrading from the note 8? I want it but with the s10 coming FOMO I don't know what to do.

Yeah, coming from the Note 8. Was actually really happy with it, but the bigger battery was too tempting. Will only have to pay about €150-200 out of my pocket to upgrade, so well worth it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

Yeah, coming from the Note 8. Was actually really happy with it, but the bigger battery was too tempting. Will only have to pay about €150-200 out of my pocket to upgrade, so well worth it imo.

Did you sell your note 8 or was it trade in

ldr wrote: »
    Did you sell your note 8 or was it trade in

I'll sell, haven't yet.

Think I'll purchase this on prepay but I wouldn't touch 3 Ireland with a barge pole, the Indian call centre is an unmitigated nightmare to deal with, get the Note 9 get it unlocked assuming it isn't unlocked in the first place and sell my Note 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

What's the likelihood that the Three version won't be able to be unlock-able on day 1 and does anyone think that this deal will be available after the 24th? Speculation I know, but previously I've only bought phones from Amazon etc. so I'm not sure how carriers behave in this regard.

Skittle wrote: »
    What's the likelihood that the Three version won't be able to be unlock-able on day 1 and does anyone think that this deal will be available after the 24th? Speculation I know, but previously I've only bought phones from Amazon etc. so I'm not sure how carriers behave in this regard.

I don't know if anyone knows for sure.

I've bought 3 devices from 3 outright. Two were completely unlocked when I got them (HTC 10 and Samsung S6 Edge+) whereas my Note 8 was locked to 3. All were purchased on release date.

The wording of the offer is that you need to preorder to get the €150 off, but then I think I read somewhere else on the site where the wording made it sound like it would continue past.

Clear as mud :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Amazon decided to lock my account after i ordered one.

So i threw my hat in with Clove for the 512GB version.

wish me luck!

Advertisement