Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

I'm looking to buy the Xiaomi mi note 2 global version with the 22 4g bands.
    Could someone send me a link for Ali Express for this version as it's quite confusing?

Some say it's the global rom but with 37 bands, which is the Chinese version and misses band 20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭corkie

accap1f8 wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy the Xiaomi mi note 2 global version with the 22 4g bands.
    Could someone send me a link for Ali Express for this version as it's quite confusing?

Some say it's the global rom but with 37 bands, which is the Chinese version and misses band 20

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Xiaomi-Mi-Note-2-Prime-Global-Version-6GB-RAM-128GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Dual-3D/32795293876.html

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_note_2-8014.php#special-edition

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

corkie wrote: »

So that comes to 280 with delivery by DHL.
    Would I be better off buying the Mi mix 2 for around 340. That's going by the cheapest version Hong Kong goldway has. I don't know if there's a different global version of the mi mix 2 that has all the bands that may cost even more.

accap1f8 wrote: »
    So that comes to 280 with delivery by DHL.
    Would I be better off buying the Mi mix 2 for around 340. That's going by the cheapest version Hong Kong goldway has. I don't know if there's a different global version of the mi mix 2 that has all the bands that may cost even more.

Expensive Mi Range of phones usually don't have global variations.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/specs/mimix2
    The regional versions of Xiaomi phones

Xiaomi phones, which are officially sold outside of Mainland China, usually come in three versions. Versions of Redmi phones differ in LTE band support and packaging, while the versions of Mi phones are identical in hardware and only come in a different box. Some Xiaomi phones only have Chinese versions while Android One models aren't sold in Mainland China at all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/general/versions

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BannerBoy1

Ordering a good from china, was just going to go with the sellers shipping method but I would like to be able to track it, was thinking of using turkish post, but just wondering does anyone here know how long they would usually take to deliver and would it normally be quicker than the seller's shipping method?

• Advertisement

BannerBoy1 wrote: »
    Ordering a good from china, was just going to go with the sellers shipping method but I would like to be able to track it, was thinking of using turkish post, but just wondering does anyone here know how long they would usually take to deliver and would it normally be quicker than the seller's shipping method?

What are you ordering, if it is a phone use recommend aliexpress sellers HK Goldway or Mi Global for example and avoid VAT with DHL shipping.

If is just a case or something else small, then paying a small bit extra, sometimes gets it delivered quicker. But not always true.

I ordered two cases recently, paid extra on one, but it still arrived slower than the item i did not pay extra for.

Shipping from China takes on average 4 to 6 weeks no matter the cheap shipping options, and can be kept back by An Post, until they feel like delivery the cheap post items. See this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Bahanaman wrote:
    What company are you with? I'm with lycamobile but to be honest the coverage isn't great. I miss and drop too many calls.

I'm with Tesco mobile. (I know I know) terrible customer care when you call them but I was in store in Drogheda and the lad fair play to him was sound. I have coverage 95% of the time but one route I take weekly has no reception.
    Cheap but I suppose you get what you pay for. It suits me for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BannerBoy1

What are you ordering, if it is a phone use recommend aliexpress sellers HK Goldway or Mi Global for example and avoid VAT with DHL shipping.

If is just a case or something else small, then paying a small bit extra, sometimes gets it delivered quicker. But not always true.

I ordered two cases recently, paid extra on one, but it still arrived slower than the item i did not pay extra for.

Shipping from China takes on average 4 to 6 weeks no matter the cheap shipping options, and can be kept back by An Post, until they feel like delivery the cheap post items. See this thread.

Thanks very much for the reply and link to that thread. Its a phone battery i'm ordering. (I believe you're the same guy who recommended me the store;)). I think i'll just go with turkish post for the availability of tracking my order and the quicker expected delivery time. Albeit i do understand that the tracking information from china can be very unreliable and it could actually end up taking longer than the normal sellers shipping method, but its only 2 euro the delivery anyway so if it is a disaster at least i didn't break the bank just to screw myself over:p.

BannerBoy1 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the reply and link to that thread. Its a phone battery i'm ordering. (I believe you're the same guy who recommended me the store;)). I think i'll just go with turkish post for the availability of tracking my order and the quicker expected delivery time. Albeit i do understand that the tracking information from china can be very unreliable and it could actually end up taking longer than the normal sellers shipping method, but its only 2 euro the delivery anyway so if it is a disaster at least i didn't break the bank just to screw myself over:p.

Got a Nohon battery recently for my Redmi Note 3 [Kenzo].

Ordered on the 6th Feb and delivered on 26th, paid about 2 Euro extra, so it wasn't coming by slow free post. Replaced on the day, I got it and it is working grand.

Turkey Post Estimated Delivery Time:15-40 Days

Was lucky at the time An Post where having a clear out of there backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭budgemook

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a Huawei Honor 10 for a decent price and shipped from Europe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

budgemook wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a Huawei Honor 10 for a decent price and shipped from Europe?
    Amazon Italy had the 64GB for €324 a few weeks ago, it is €355 now https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07CXHZ2KH

But possibly the best place to get it for a good price at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

Technical issue: My partner's HomTom 17Pro has become infected with a very very nasty virus/malware whatever. It cannot be cleaned by any normal method (we tried everything, honestly) - it installs apps without prompting, you can delete them to your hearts content it will always come back in different guises (userdictionary...., provison, AndroidOS). Install from unknown sources is unchecked but it is somehow re-allowed every single time. It sucks mobile data, only way to stop is restrict the data volume or restrict mobile background data altogether which defeats the purpose. All those dubious apps have all permissions.
    Factory reset does not clear it. We think it goes back down to Go Keyboard which has managed to give itself protected status as a system app and cannot be uninstalled.
    Last resort I can see now is flashing a Stock ROM. I have never attempted to do that and it is a bit daunting.
    Will the Stock ROMs found on various websites be the English/international version with Google Play etc installed? Would flashing actually clear that **** off the phone?
    Looks like HOMTOM-HT17PRO-Android_6.0-R10-20170614 is the latest version for the HT17Pro.
    I have watched the Youtube videos and will also be back up the NVRAM first.
    At this stage there is nothing to loose as she can't use the phone in this state.
    Any other tips for a total noobie in ROM flashing etc?

@morgana

Cheap crap Chinese brand with limited or no support online for it.
    The original ROMs from HomTom all have malware/Trojan downloaders built into them as system files that cannot be removed and they gradually add more and more, through updates that cannot be stopped! All these ported ROMs have the same malware (although some have different names).
    Have you got, made, or found any ROMs that are clean of these system files?
    They start with the "Wireless Update" or "System Update" and first they download "FotaProvider" or other files/apps with "Fota" in the name! I am looking for a ROM that is clean from these files, are there any that you know of?

Quote from here: -

https://www.china-devices.com/forum/index.php?threads/homtom-ht17-pro-mt6737-twrp-and-custom-roms.20040/page-7

I would advise binning that phone and put down as lesson learned by buying an unknown and not recommended brand.

Edit: - Or maybe see if there is a clean custom rom, you can put on the device.

Edit 2: - As Suckit corrected, it maybe the case of just a vendor/reseller rom, I just quoted the first result of a search.

That's nonsense.
    Worst type too.

The malware likely comes from the supplier adding their own apps or rom to the phone.
    Homtom phones are grand.

Using the same thread as above - https://www.china-devices.com/forum/index.php?threads/homtom-ht17-pro-mt6737-twrp-and-custom-roms.20040/post-115861

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi guys,

My 72 year old mother in law needs a new phone. Budget is €150 and as you can imagine shes not going to be a power user, selfie shooter or gamer etc. so looking for a good solid phone which just works out of the box and is as vanilla a version of Android as possible. Must have good 4G coverage and not be too big, 5" screen max.

A Kimovil search produces a wide range of potential matches. I'm a OnePlus fan myslef and my son uses a Mi A1 plus I've a Lenovo Tablet and have used Huawei devices in the past so would be comfortable with any of these brands.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭budgemook

Hi guys,

My 72 year old mother in law needs a new phone. Budget is €150 and as you can imagine shes not going to be a power user, selfie shooter or gamer etc. so looking for a good solid phone which just works out of the box and is as vanilla a version of Android as possible. Must have good 4G coverage and not be too big, 5" screen max.

A Kimovil search produces a wide range of potential matches. I'm a OnePlus fan myslef and my son uses a Mi A1 plus I've a Lenovo Tablet and have used Huawei devices in the past so would be comfortable with any of these brands.

Any suggestions?

Redmi Note 4 Global Edition with Nova launcher installed prior to handing the device over to it's owner has served me well in this situation.

budgemook wrote: »
    Redmi Note 4 Global Edition with Nova launcher installed prior to handing the device over to it's owner has served me well in this situation.

Is this (4X Global Edition) the right one to get? https://www.honorbuy.com/1078-xiaomi-redmi-note-4x-official-global-rom-32gb-smartphone-gray.html I just can't see where it confirms it has both band 3 and band 20 for 4G.

That's the Redmi Note 4X.
    The Redmi Note 4 or Redmi 4X are both different than that.

The Redmi 4X - https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Global-Version-XIAOMI-Redmi-4X-3GB-32GB-Smartphone---Gold-399633.html
    Redmi Note 4 - https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-3G-3GB-32GB-Smartphone---Black-378348.html

What about the Moto G5 3GB/16GB?
    Gold version available from seller in USA on amazon UK, will arrive by 22nd or sooner for £109 + shipping https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Moto-16GB-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Fine-Gold/dp/B01MR949PK/ref=sr_1_2?m=A11GZHGY20BMP1&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1533747180&sr=1-2 Roughly €130 delivered.

Available from Germany or Poland for around the same price +/- €5 faster delivery if you don't mind ordering through a German or Polish site.

Suckit wrote: »

The Redmi 4X - https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Global-Version-XIAOMI-Redmi-4X-3GB-32GB-Smartphone---Gold-399633.html
    Redmi Note 4 - https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-3G-3GB-32GB-Smartphone---Black-378348.html

Gold version available from seller in USA on amazon UK, will arrive by 22nd or sooner for £109 + shipping https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Moto-16GB-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Fine-Gold/dp/B01MR949PK/ref=sr_1_2?m=A11GZHGY20BMP1&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1533747180&sr=1-2 Roughly €130 delivered.

Available from Germany or Poland for around the same price +/- €5 faster delivery if you don't mind ordering through a German or Polish site.

Thanks Suckit. Does that that the 4X I linked to would still work here but would only have 4G where band 3 was operating and 3G elsewhere? (I like the 5.5" screen and price and TBH I don't think 4G is really going to make much difference to a 72 year old who really only uses "the internet" on her phone for WhatsApp'ing her family.)

Thanks Suckit. Does that that the 4X I linked to would still work here but would only have 4G where band 3 was operating and 3G elsewhere? (I like the 5.5" screen and price and TBH I don't think 4G is really going to make much difference to a 72 year old who really only uses "the internet" on her phone for WhatsApp'ing her family.)

Yep. Exactly what it is.

• Advertisement

Apologies for dragging this on but would this Redmi 6 Global Rom phone with Bands 3 and 20 not be the better option and still remain withing a 5.5" screen format? It has 4GB RAM and a 64GB ROM so sounds like a better phone all round.

Apologies for dragging this on but would this Redmi 6 Global Rom phone with Bands 3 and 20 not be the better option and still remain withing a 5.5" screen format? It has 4GB RAM and a 64GB ROM so sounds like a better phone all round.

For Band 20, yes it would be a better option than the Note 4X.
    The Note 4 may be a better option all round.
    I can't remember the redmi 6 (can't check at the minute), but I think the 4 has a better CPU and a better screen.
    I think the Redmi 6 is 720 x 1280?? (Could be wrong) and the CPU is slightly better on the Note 4.

For Band 20, yes it would be a better option than the Note 4X.
    The Note 4 may be a better option all round.
    I can't remember the redmi 6 (can't check at the minute), but I think the 4 has a better CPU and a better screen.
    I think the Redmi 6 is 720 x 1280?? (Could be wrong) and the CPU is slightly better on the Note 4.

Thanks Suckit, the 4X has a 5.5 Inch 1920x1080 screen whereas the Redmi 6 has a 5.45 inch 1440x720 Screen and the 4X has a Snapdragon 625 Octa-core 2.0GHz CPU whereas the Redmi 6 has a Helio P22 Octa Core processor running up to 2.0GHz.

I think decent coverage is a higher priority than either a higher resolution screen or faster/better CPU as she will be a very light user.

Thanks Suckit, the 4X has a 5.5 Inch 1920x1080 screen whereas the Redmi 6 has a 5.45 inch 1440x720 Screen and the 4X has a Snapdragon 625 Octa-core 2.0GHz CPU whereas the Redmi 6 has a Helio P22 Octa Core processor running up to 2.0GHz.

I think decent coverage is a higher priority than either a higher resolution screen or faster/better CPU as she will be a very light user.

Are you looking at the Redmi 4X or the Redmi Note 4X?
    (The 4X is 5.0 inches and has a Snapdragon 435)

If you are looking at the note, you could look at the Redmi Note 4.
    It is essentially the same phone but with band20.

Are you looking at the Redmi 4X or the Redmi Note 4X?
    (The 4X is 5.0 inches and has a Snapdragon 435)

If you are looking at the note, you could look at the Redmi Note 4.
    It is essentially the same phone but with band20.

It's the Redmi Note 4X I was looking at (apologies, so many models with similar names!!)

I looked at the Note 4 as you suggest but Honorbuy state that the phone is no longer in stock so the Redmi 6 seems the next best 5.5" model with both bands 3 and 20.

It's the Redmi Note 4X I was looking at (apologies, so many models with similar names!!)

I looked at the Note 4 as you suggest but Honorbuy state that the phone is no longer in stock so the Redmi 6 seems the next best 5.5" model with both bands 3 and 20.

It is available here and ships from Spain - https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-3G-3GB-32GB-Smartphone---Black-378348.html

Also, I am not sure on this but I thought I read it somewhere, Tesco are now also selling them.

Amazon Spain - https://www.amazon.es/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-Doble-32GB/dp/B073WJL81J
    Amazon Germany - https://www.amazon.de/Xiaomi-Smartphone-Display-Kamera-Android-Grau/dp/B073WJL81J
    Amazon Italy - https://www.amazon.it/Xiaomi-Redmi-Smartphone-Android-Grigio/dp/B073WJL81J

All the same price (€156) but I didn't check which has cheapest delivery.

Thanks Suckit, really appreciate all your advice.

Warning:- Change in Xiaomi procedures regarding China/Global variations.

I have posted often that Xiaomi, don't have Global Variations of expensive Mi models. That may now have changed.

If you got a recent Xiaomi device from a reseller with Global Rom but with a Chinese box and accessories take note.

If you have a Chinese version of a device and flash a global rom, don't lock the bootloader or you may end up with a soft bricked device.
    Don't relock bootloader on Global roms. If you do so, you will end up in soft brick state. This is one of those new implementations by xiaomi to stop crooked resellers from selling china device as global device by flashing global rom and locking bootloader.

This not only applies to Mi 8 but all new devices, rn5pro, redmi 5 plus, redmi note 5a prime etc.,

Quote taken from here!

Maybe the reason why some devices are now arriving unlocked.

First they badly implement ARP and continue rolling it out to other devices. And now this.

Bow to Xiaomi Shareholders. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

@corkie.... So do I need to do anything with my new redmi 5 plus global version?

• Advertisement

@idnkph Probably nothing to worry about, if you got a Global device and English box plus accessories.

It applies more to the expensive Mi Range of phones that didn't have global variations till now.

Advertisement