Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

trixiebust wrote: »
    They should be looking to reduce the fee, not increase it. OP is right - valuable land, vastly overpaid stars, tired formats, a catch up service which is terrible.

I'd be happy to pay a basic €50 per year, & the rest on a pay per view basis or something.

This is the way things are going and the big subscription TV stations such as Sky are terrified of it.

WWE has started the ball rolling on this one.
    You used to have to pay SKY for Sky Sports to watch the WWE and then pay extra for PPV event such as Wrestlemania or the Royal Rumble.
    Now you can go to the WWE directly and pay X amount a month and watch all the WWE you like including main events for a fraction of the cost over the Web.
    IE SKY has been cut out of the picture.

Same applies for Netflix/Disney/Amazon prime web TV.
    Subscription TV is dead, and the Broadcasters know this.
    That's how far RTE are behind. It's not even funny.
    They have absolutely nothing to offer anyone yet demand €160 off every household in the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

grahambo wrote: »
    This is the way things are going and the big subscription TV stations such as Sky are terrified of it.

You used to have to pay SKY for Sky Sports to watch the WWE and then pay extra for PPV event such as Wrestlemania or the Royal Rumble.
    Now you can go to the WWE directly and pay X amount a month and watch all the WWE you like including main events for a fraction of the cost over the Web.

Same applies for Netflix/Disney/Amazon prime web TV.
    Subscription TV is dead, and the Broadcasters know this.
    That's how far RTE are behind. It's not even funny.
    They have absolutely nothing to offer anyone yet demand €160 off every household in the state.

I am surprised that a club like Real Madrid or Barcelona has not migrated all their domestic games to their own TV channels/Networks and started charging fans for a season ticket. These are now global brands that could make a fortune directly if they did so.

That is the future of Sports as well I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

CJhaughey wrote: »
    4166 people have to pay for their license just so Ryan Tubridy can have the salary he enjoys.
    Thats a mind boggling figure for just one substandard presenter.

That's not even considering pensions, perks etc. I'd say it's considerably more than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I wouldn't begrudge RTE the licence fee if they made an attempt to make decent prime time programming with some cultural/artistic/educational value which mightn't be the most commercially viable.... ala the BBC/BBC4.

Apart from news and current affairs, the RTE schedules are packed with so much commercial low brow dross it's unbelievable. They're not quite as bad as TV3/ITV but the only difference is they make a lot of their own, home produced crap. Case in point, this "Vogue does this" and "Vogue does that" phenomenon. Is this the kind of shíte we're paying for.

As for Tubridy, my chief pet peeve at RTE... Stealing a living. He'd work for a fifth of that salary because where in God's name would he go if they didn't renew his contract!

I am surprised that a club like Real Madrid or Barcelona has not migrated all their domestic games to their own TV channels/Networks and started charging fans for a season ticket. These are now global brands that could make a fortune directly if they did so.

I agree. But it hasn't happened in soccer yet and probably wont for a long time.
    It's because they need to carry the league
    Spanish league is rubbish, 2.5 Teams carrying the rest (Real Madrid, Barcelona and maybe Athletico Madrid)
    If they did the above as you said all the other teams would lose a huge amount of money unless they were playing one of those teams.
    It's Biggest problem Soccer has at the moment - same teams winning all the time as they have huge investment.

It would need to be done by La Liga rather than the individual clubs.

I love the MotoGP Video pass. €150 for the season, (€7.90) a race. And I can customise my screen layout and watch which bikes I want (6 feeds).

When you look at what the WWE and MotoGP offer you realise the SKY are in big trouble should they ever lose the rights to the soccer.
    It's only then you realise how far behind RTE are when compared with SKY and sport's leagues providing their own subscription services.
    RTE in its current incarnation is well beyond End of Life, but it's being kept alive by the likes Dee Forbes and the state that are just terrified of what will happen if it were to ever change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,395 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

2FM lost us nearly thirty million between 2009 and 2015.
    Not sure what public service this station provides. Generic type pop music is at everyone's fingertips if they want it.https://www.boards.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

At this moment, TG4 is showing Little House on the Prairie. Not dubbed. No subtitles. So, what's the point. Today's schedule is mostly foreign imports and repeats.
    RTE television could be condensed into one channel, without any loss of domestic programming.
    RTE should be channelling their energy into digital/online services, reducing their staffing levels and eliminating the excess fat( orchestra s, etc)

They used to show Oz years ago at all hours, it's the only good thing T na G did. Why in the hell are we paying for a channel that no one watches?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

We should have 2 TV stations and no more. One Irish, one English. And they should both show nothing but quality home produced content. Actual quality, no utter rubbish reality TV, no foreign sport, no imported shows that they have paid a fortune for and no endless chat shows. At the moment RTE seems to churn out nothing but expensive lotto shows and crap like 'up for the match'.

I would keep the orchestras though but they should be put on the road. If they could visit every small town in the country every could of years that would be amazing.

And obviously 2FM should be killed stone dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Why do they have to do a televised version of live radio 1 shows when these shows are also available on the Saorview platform. RTE News Now shows Morning Ireland then repeats a section of it then shows Sean o Rourke . The Late Debate is shown too. Makes for bad viewing as its filmed through a fish eye lens.
    Leaders questions in the Dail gets mighty coverage RTE 1 RYE News Now and Oireachtas Tv broadcasting the same sh1te simultaneously. Joe Duffy got similar treatment during the snow. His radio show was taking up 2 tv channels as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Are you sure it's only a drum she's banging

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭ Elliot Fancy Golf

I would like to see more money spend on producing decent drama, and less on copying reality programmes from the UK; particularly the celeb versions as we just don't have that many real celebs here so they just end up looking like a poor relation of the original.

I also think the salaries that some presenters get are ridiculous. Some of them are good at what they do, but a lot of them aren't and are getting a ridiculous amount of taxpayer's money for doing something not very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The salaries seem way too high and I don't think they should be justifying paying them based on notions of celebrity. If people want to go work for TV3 on a commercial basis and TV3 are willing to pay those kinds of fees, or if they're going to go off to the UK, let them go. There's plenty of new and interesting talent that the public service broadcaster SHOULD be nurturing anyway.

This is a very small market of 4.7 million people, not the UK with 67+ million people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Instead of looking for bigger handouts from us and also wanting to collect from revenue etc how about slashing their MASSIVE salaries? It's absolutely ridiculous that someone like Tubbs is on that money, he's a ****e presenter on Irish TV that nobody else in the world knows.

Also, the gender equality crap Sharon what's her name was on about, Brian Dobson was paid more because he was doing it much, much longer than she was and he was much better at it. I never watch the news but when I did she stuttered or got her lines wrong. Slightly off topic, but feck off with your gender nonsense, she simply wasn't as good so doesn't deserve the same pay.

They're all an overpaid shower who need a reality check. Cut salaries and let staff go like every other company short on money.

And not forgetting the cost increases RTE is pressuring the likes of Sky with for the luxury of having their channel, anyone know if this went ahead? Should be dropped to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Because opposition clubs would hold RM/Barça to ransom for their share of the rights to a game.

Better to negotiate as a complete league with a third party and divide it according to 'weight'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

4166 people have to pay for their license just so Ryan Tubridy can have the salary he enjoys.
    Thats a mind boggling figure for just one substandard presenter.
    Maybe cut out the middle man “an post” and deliver the €160 to Tubs new pad in monkstown!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Maybe cut out the middle man “an post” and deliver the €160 to Tubs new pad in monkstown!

I am sure lots would deliver something to Mr Tubridy but I am also quite sure that he may not have much use for what he would receive...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Testament1

They used to show Oz years ago at all hours, it's the only good thing T na G did. Why in the hell are we paying for a channel that no one watches?

An Klondike was a great original TG4 mini series. Story of 2 Irish brothers trying to find their fortune in the Klondike Gold Rush of the late 1800s and the perils of a lawless frontier town. Filmed in Galway and featuring a mix of Irish and English language. More of that kinda work would absolutely justify their budget.

As for RTE, I recently had the misfortune of using the RTE player app to try watch a live Champions League game. The single worst media experience I've ever encountered. Pixelated hell and constant dropouts which could only be resolved by exiting the stream and trying again only for the same thing to happen a couple minutes later, all this on an 80mbps connection. Funnily enough the ads played in crystal clear uninterrupted high definition though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

I am sure lots would deliver something to Mr Tubridy but I am also quite sure that he may not have much use for what he would receive...

....especially if it was in a bucket and emptied all over his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Vince started the WWE Network to get rid of the Cable companies taking their share of the PPV income. Why pay $60+ for a PPV when you can watch it for free as part of the WWE Network service that only costs $9.99 a month? It starting the death knell of normal Cable packages was an added bonus. Now the major sports leagues have their own streaming services [aka.MLB,NFL,NBA,NHL,etc] where for a flat yearly fee you can watch all the games you want.

• Advertisement

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Vince started the WWE Network to get rid of the Cable companies taking their share of the PPV income. Why pay $60+ for a PPV when you can watch it for free as part of the WWE Network service that only costs $9.99 a month? It starting the death knell of normal Cable packages was an added bonus. Now the major sports leagues have their own streaming services [aka.MLB,NFL,NBA,NHL,etc] where for a flat yearly fee you can watch all the games you want.

Seriously clever guy, I wish I had is brains! :o
    Laughing all the way to the Bank so he is! :eek:
    I read he's starting up the XFL again! :eek:

JohnMc1 wrote: »

It's a stroke of genius by Vince really. But it is so simple that it is a wonder why others did not think of it before.

UFC springs to mind.

Don't think the XFL v2.0 will work.
    Think he'd be better off buying the Carolina Panthers with some other wealthy owners.

I admire his balls in trying to start it again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

The salaries are ridiculous.

If they got rid of ads (like BBC), you could at least rationalise that that is what the licence fee is paying for

It's a stroke of genius by Vince really. But it is so simple that it is a wonder why others did not think of it before.

UFC springs to mind.

Don't think the XFL v2.0 will work.
    Think he'd be better off buying the Carolina Panthers with some other wealthy owners.

I admire his balls in trying to start it again though.

I'd say they're the size of cantaloupes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,815 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm sure he could hire a gardener to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/revealed-top-10-highest-earning-rte-presenters-includes-three-women-while-ray-darcy-was-paid-400k-35989583.html

Tubridy works 5 hours per week on radio and 2 hours on tv per week and given the Late Late is off air during the summer and he is frequently missing from his radio slot, there's no way they can justify paying him €495k per year. Joe Duffy works just over 6 hours per week and gets just under €400k

Think she needs to look at the likes of the above for anyone to even entertain the idea of possibly paying their license fee

I'd say they're the size of cantaloupes :pac:

Well he is the Genetic Jackhammer....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

I have to say I like RTE radio 1. Would never turn it on for Joe Duffy but I must be getting old because it's the only morning program I can handle, Paul Williams obviously makes Newstalk unlistenable.
    Brian Dobson is a pro, he's really good, so that Sharon one can feck off with the salaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/revealed-top-10-highest-earning-rte-presenters-includes-three-women-while-ray-darcy-was-paid-400k-35989583.html

Tubridy works 5 hours per week on radio and 2 hours on tv per week and given the Late Late is off air during the summer and he is frequently missing from his radio slot, there's no way they can justify paying him €495k per year. Joe Duffy works just over 6 hours per week and gets just under €400k

Think she needs to look at the likes of the above for anyone to even entertain the idea of possibly paying their license fee

As much as I hate Tubridy, and I truly despise him, the above is incorrect. He is on air 5 hours per week on the radio and on screen 2 hours a week on TV. But you don't just roll out of bed and go straight onto air or on screen though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

As much as I hate Tubridy, and I truly despise him, the above is incorrect. He is on air 5 hours per week on the radio and on screen 2 hours a week on TV. But you don't just roll out of bed and go straight onto air or on screen though.

While it's true he works more hours than that, that accounts for 7 hours. That's one day worth of time. He'd hardly have 4 days worth of makeup and rehearsal and the like? €500k is not justified when RTE are constantly crying out they WE have to pay more. The first solution should be to cut salaries, if they don't like it they can go elsewhere but I bet they wouldn't get half that money.

Advertisement