Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Documentaries, ethics and graphic imagery

• 19-05-2015 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭

I started watching The Staircase last night. It's from 2004 so I don't know what your feelings on the statute of limitations on spoilers are but I kind of have to talk about it for the purposes of the thread. Ye're warned now!

Anyways, in the first episode, which is all I've seen so far, there are several very graphic shots of a dead body. Both autopsy pictures and, fairly early on in the episode, police video footage of the body at the scene of death. Covered in blood, sitting in more blood, and with what appears to be a badly broken leg.

I ended up having to rewind and re-watch the two or three minutes after that footage because I was so shook I didn't absorb any of it, my immediate reaction was "there is no need to show that". It read to me like cheap voyeurism for the sake of shock value, and a failure of duty of care both to the viewer and subjects of the documentary – though I should emphasise that this particular documentary does seem to be made with the cooperation of the family of the deceased.

I'm still processing it, and I'm trying to critically analyse my own reaction. I'm thinking of other documentaries I've seen and how I've felt about the choices those filmmakers made about graphic imagery. Films like Farenheit 9/11 or Peter Davies’ Hearts and Minds, for example, contain much more graphic footage; however the victims don’t have the clear identity this woman had, they’re nameless and numerous, and the films both have valid (if polemical) broader social aims rather than being examinations of a unique case. I remember finding both those films upsetting, and particularly in the case of Farenheit 9/11 thinking it was tastelessly done, but I don’t recall having such an extreme reaction. The Act of Killing features the recounting and performing of reprehensible and remorseless violence, but it always has that degree of separation from the actual act; it still manages to be one of the most distressing documentaries even drawing the line at that point.

I also thought of Herzog’s Grizzly Man, in which he includes footage of himself listening to a sound recording of the subject’s death by bear attack. He urges the owner of the recording to never listen it (and if memory serves correctly) furthermore to destroy it, and obviously it’s not heard by the viewer. This, I felt, was a pretty good engagement with the issue. It acknowledges the power of this kind of material, and our innate morbid curiousity about it, while also emphasising that often that curiousity is best left unsatisfied, both for our own peace of mind and for ethical reasons.

So, what do ye think? Can graphic imagery of violence or dead bodies ever be justified in documentaries? What are the criteria for justifying it? What is the balance between a documentarian’s duty of care towards on the one hand the viewer, society, and the art of cinema; and on the other hand the subjects of the documentary – does it for example matter if the subject is personally known to them and filming has involved establishing a relationship?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I have seen all the episodes of The Staircase. Yes, it is shocking to see such graphic images right upfront in the documentary but they are absolutely essential in order to be able to picture the scene which is going to be discussed at great length for the rest of the documentary. Without having seen the actual images as they were on the night in question, it is very hard to envision if they match the scenarios put forward by either the prosecution or the defence. It is important to see the blood, the injuries and the body position in order understand what will later be discussed.

I believe that documentary violence is very different from movie violence. Documentaries present reality and all its flaws to us and therefore should not be sugar coated, avoided, blurred or pixilated.

I do believe that putting the shocking imagery upfront is a bit of a cheap shock tactic and that it would be better to ease into it. One of the many documentaries about 'The West Memphis Three' opened with graphic police video of the naked bodies of three murdered boys which I found very disturbing. It nearly put me off watching the rest. It turned out to be a great documentary but I would have liked to have had a few minutes of preamble describing the case and what was found before it was shown directly to me.

Advertisement