Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maggie starring Schwarzenegger

• 26-03-2015 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Now this looks more like what I expected from Arnie on his return to the movies, feels like I've been waiting for a long time to see footage of it.

Kinda burnt out from zombie stuff but this does look like it could be an interesting take on the genre and Arnie needs something in the "genuinely good" category lately.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

This actually looks excellent, looking forward to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Arnold.....crying?? He's obviously seen Genysis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Zombies as a genre is creatively bankrupt at this stage, but that trailer looks pretty intriguing for sure; reminds me a little of BBC3's 'In The Flesh'. It also feels like it might be Arnie's attempt at pulling a 'Copland'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The script was on the 2011 black list and the trailer looks great, but Lionsgate pulled this from Toronto after they acquired it. If it’s that good, why would they do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The script was on the 2011 black list and the trailer looks great, but Lionsgate pulled this from Toronto after they acquired it. If it’s that good, why would they do this?

Only thing I heard about that was for re-editing the film.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

After seeing the thread title I'm disappointed this isn't a Thatcher biopic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

While it raises a few flags, there could be many reasons for pulling it that aren't related to the quality of the film. For example, I think the Toronto Film Festival demands that any film entries are premièred at the festival before general release, so they may want to get it out before the festival in September.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Well that has me even more worried.
    humanji wrote: »
    While it raises a few flags, there could be many reasons for pulling it that aren't related to the quality of the film. For example, I think the Toronto Film Festival demands that any film entries are premièred at the festival before general release, so they may want to get it out before the festival in September.
    It was pulled from last year's festival, not this year’s. Arnold is no sure thing from a marketing perspective anymore. A brief festival run would have given the film some much needed buzz.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Duggy747 wrote: »

Yikes, suddenly I have this horrible feeling what looks like a tense, slow-burning character-driven piece from the trailer is going to be re-edited into something more ... Arnie'esque.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It was pulled from last year's festival, not this year’s. Arnold is no sure thing from a marketing perspective anymore. A brief festival run would have given the film some much needed buzz.
    Ah right, I assumed you meant this year. In that case, it's even more worrying. Still, it might surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That looks really good. I've no problem with more zombie movies, just with more terrible zombie movies. Hopefully this won't be the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Mickeroo wrote: »

I can't believe, nearly two full hours after it was posted, I'm the first person to like this post :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Mickeroo wrote: »

Ha, I thought it was about Thatcher too when I saw the thread title and was thinking it was quite the turn for Arnie.

Looks like it might be good.

Seems it's actually premiering at Tribeca next month, though I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well that trailer has sold the film to me.

It may turn out to be terrible but the trailer has me hooked and I will spend money to see it and hope the film lives up to the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yikes, suddenly I have this horrible feeling what looks like a tense, slow-burning character-driven piece from the trailer is going to be re-edited into something more ... Arnie'esque.

Whatever the reason I don't think the film will be a standard Arnie flick with cheesy quips and him blowing stuff up, trailer definitely shows a different kind of Arnie and if it were to be more actiony I imagine they would've aimed for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

Looks like a The last of us-esque storyline mixed with Arnie. Sounds like the dream film on paper! I'm hope it turns out good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is more of what I expected from Arnie when he said he was coming back.

Trailer looks great, hopefully its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

I'm looking forward to seeing this;

Getting Good reviews so far. Arnies acting has been praised here

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/05/06/maggie-review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I've read in a reddit post somewhere, that someone was talking to him and said he was tired of doing action roles and he now wants to do serious character stuff.

His divorce (I'm only guessing) must have really changed him, never thought he'd tear himself away from action and thought he'd be doing it to the grave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Is there a UK/Ire release date set for this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

maximoose wrote: »
    Is there a UK/Ire release date set for this yet?
    17th July, 2015. But it's already available on VOD services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Its so strange,
    Arnie kills a zombie and doesn't give us a one liner....

(Not spoilery but spoiler tagged for you just in case.)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Watched this over the weekend.

Really tragic, really enjoyable. Praises of Arnie are a bit OTT and maybe reactionary to not seeing him like this before
    He has very little dialogue, although his expressions and eyes seem to do the talking for him
    This film could have been set in really any sort of theme relating to terminal illness, the misses was properly upset watching it.

In summary, the misses absolutely HATES Arnie and any film associated with him, she absolutely loved this, and loved him. This is more the type of film I hoped he would do on his return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Can't believe that's the little girl from Little miss sunshine. God I feel old

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm super glad that Arnie has decided to move away from the action stuff that he's too old for. I was only saying recently that i'd love Arnie to actually find a role that wasn't written for him at all and that he was able to actually act in. This is the role. And he was pretty good.

it's just a shame that the movie just isn't very good. It didn't grab my attention really and I found it quite boring. It's a fresh twist on the zombie thing, but I feel it shouldn't have had anything to do with zombies at all and was just about terminal illness. Very underwhelmed by this.

• 17th July, 2015. But it's already available on VOD services.

What VOD services is it on? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭No_Comply

Where are people getting this?

Edit: I know where to look, but it's Arnie. I'd rather pay! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Gonna give this a watch tonight, kind of looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Watched this over the weekend ,

Have to say I was a little bit impressed , very bleak and could have been about any illness but nice to do it within the zombie world. Abigail Breslin is good , Arnold is very good as well , very little dialog most things are said with a glance .
    The Feel , atmosphere around the film is very well done. I am surprised by the low rating on imdb , easily a 7/10

Leaves you feel a little depressed had to watch World War Z afterwards to restore the zombie balance .

Advertisement