Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Back Catalogue - Can It Ever Be Cleared?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Games like Civilisation are complex and compulsive enough to justifiably earn play times stretching into triple figures. But they do so in ways more positive than just having loads of 'stuff', which is a trap so many games fall in to.

It's not even that, games like Civiliisation are intended to be replayed and designed with that in mind. These are games that are almost totally made or broken on their mechanics and story is a sideline thing at best. It's not really comparable to games intended for a single narrative focused playthrough as being normal. It's the same with games with a strong multiplayer element, they'll look "long" due to their nature as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I wouldn't waste too much energy worrying about completing a backlog. Just play what feels right at the time and not what you feel you should play. I've started games and felt 2-3 hours in that they weren't for me. I put the disk back in the box and began something new. No big deal.

What bothers me is the fact that I dislike some games that have a serious following and are well received throughout the media. I keep asking myself 'WHY DON'T I LIKE THIS!?':confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I wouldn't sweat that.
    There are games out there that are well reviewed and with large followings but I just don't like them.
    So I won't buy a turn based strategy title or a god game because I just never enjoy them.
    No shame in it, you can't like everything, much less complete them all.
    Find the good stuff you like and off you go.

Ocarina of Time though....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭C14N

What's this about steam sale?

I'm surprised anyone would get into PC gaming without knowing about these but Steam sales are seasonal sales where practically everything on the store is sold at a reduced price for a week (I think it's a week, maybe it's two weeks). Most things are 10-20% cheaper but in addition to that they run daily deals (typically ~50% off) and 3 flash deals each day (typically 60-80% off).

Xenji wrote: »
    It all depends on price, if a developer offered me a game that was mesmerising but only lasted 6 hours, while another developer offered me a similar game but lasted 100 hours you know which you would pick if they had similar pricing.

Yes, no question, I'd take the 6 hour one because I might actually get to finish it ad then play another game at some point.
    Xenji wrote: »
    Take Lords Of The Fallen, you can get a platinum in about 25 hours, for the same price and a better game you can get Dragon Age 3 and it will take you 150-200 hours to get a platinum, your money is better spent on the latter as you get more bang for your buck as it were.

That's like saying "if you can go to the cinema and see Big Hero 6 which is 1 hour and 40 minutes long or you could see Interstellar which is nearly 3 hours for the same price, clearly Interstellar is a better deal".

A game isn't a car, I'm not buying it based upon how long I can use it for. I don't want to get extra grind just so I can while away more hours on the game.

In response to OP: no, probably not. On Steam alone I have over 140 unfinished games with more on PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, Gamecube, SNES and NES. On top of that I have about 60 unwatched Blu-rays sitting on my shelf competing for spare time. It's a lot quicker to buy games than it is to play them unfortunately and it's hard to get 2-3 hours in a row to sit down and sink into something these days. Only in retirement (which is over 40 years away) could I possibly hope to play all I want to play.

• Advertisement

Is our hobby as much about collecting as it is about playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Pac1Man wrote: »

I would say yes, but I love the bargain hunt aspect of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Mine was about the hobby until kids and time and space to put stuff actually now has a premium where it wouldn't have had in the past.

I don't bother buying games now unless I'll at least I'll get my monies worth out of them. Say a game was a fiver Id want to play at least an hour or two to feel it was a worthwhile purchase whereas in the past id have picked it up cause it was cheap thinking sure it's only a fiver and probably never play it. I had games in their plastic up until my recent clear out. Unless you want a library of games and are a proper collector that's just silly imo.

Also all those fivers build up. I should have a jar for each time I still get the urge! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Links234 wrote: »
    Some say just go through the ones you've not played alphabetically, that that was one of the best ways. I haven't done so, hence I've still not even booted up Alan Wake for the first time yet :p

Great idea. Lets have a look at steam...

A
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I finally caught up with my backlog this year so it can be done.

I did a big clearout of the games I'd bought, leaving only the ones I was most interested in, and I've become much more picky about what I'll buy. I'm more inclined to give up on something if I'm not enjoying it, and I'm no longer trying to 100% every game like I used to. I see a shorter game with less padding as a good thing.

I basically had to stop and remind myself that I play games for fun and not just to tick titles off a list or bore myself with pointless sidequests. Its nice not to feel pressure to always move onto the next game and I find I can give more time to the games I enjoy the most.

Of course it helps that my laptop isn't great so I don't tend to go crazy in the Steam sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

elekid wrote: »

I did a big clearout of the games I'd bought, leaving only the ones I was most interested in, and I've become much more picky about what I'll buy. I'm more inclined to give up on something if I'm not enjoying it, and I'm no longer trying to 100% every game like I used to. I see a shorter game with less padding as a good thing.

I basically had to stop and remind myself that I play games for fun and not just to tick titles off a list or bore myself with pointless sidequests. Its nice not to feel pressure to always move onto the next game and I find I can give more time to the games I enjoy the most.

Of course it helps that my laptop isn't great so I don't tend to go crazy in the Steam sales.

The fun part is amazingly important and easily forgotten about which such a vast amount of "must play" titles out there.

Play what you enjoy not what others tell you to enjoy.

I enjoyed a bond game on 360 a few months back. People said it was average at best. I loved it. Basic run in shoot bad guys rinse and repeat. Fun!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mine will be never be cleared :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup
    Come and visit with the lunatics in the Arcade and Retro forum to see this taken to the nth degree!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Its worse when you're into RPG's
    I think I'm on my third year of playing through Persona 3 Portable and Persona 5 is coming out next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm shocking too.

At the end of a generation it's too easy to pick up the classics you miss at bargain prices, increasing the backlog.

Last year when I got the PS4, I started picking up Dark Souls and Red Dead Redemption for the 360 very cheap. For shame I haven't even booted up either.

It was the same with the PS2. And don't get started if you are a naughty boy and use cards or cracks on something like the DS.

I took out a PlayStation Plus sub when I bought the PS4 last year. That did encouraged me to buy a Vita. More games!

As we get older we become cash rich but time poor relative to when we were children, causing the backlog.

No backlog in my SNES days as a kid! :-)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

megaten wrote: »
    Its worse when you're into RPG's
    I think I'm on my third year of playing through Persona 3 Portable and Persona 5 is coming out next year.

Amen brother :D

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yup
    Come and visit with the lunatics in the Arcade and Retro forum to see this taken to the nth degree!

Oh man, I started a bit of light collecting in summer and it's awful. I'm just adding even more games to the backlog, and they cost more than regular games too :(
    elekid wrote: »

This is a big problem for me. I don't go for 100% most of the time but I do tend to compulsively do sidequests and the like, even if they're incredibly uninspired and uninteresting which was most of them in Assassin's Creed 4.

C14N wrote: »
    Oh man, I started a bit of light collecting in summer and it's awful. I'm just adding even more games to the backlog, and they cost more than regular games too :(

More than regular games?
    What were you picking up?
    Given that a new console game is going for around 50 to 70 notes I seldom throw down that much on SNES, Megadrive or Famicom games.
    That said Chronotrigger cost me that sort of money alright, but then it's a masterpiece, and Ibara on the PS2 cost me considerably more.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Steam didnt have time counters back in '06 when I started so the that figure is wayyyy off, but regarding this thread you can see what I mean when I say, nope, will never happen.

Ycr2QWt.png

More than regular games?
    What were you picking up?
    Given that a new console game is going for around 50 to 70 notes I seldom throw down that much on SNES, Megadrive or Famicom games.
    That said Chronotrigger cost me that sort of money alright, but then it's a masterpiece, and Ibara on the PS2 cost me considerably more.

I haven't spent €50 on a console game since The Last of Us on PS3. Most games I buy are on PC for under €10, most retro games seem to be around €20 and the ones that I really want tend to go for a lot more (looking at you Super Metroid!).

• Advertisement

Fecking Black Friday!

Should the ethos of this thread be ignored this weekend? I'm wrestling with the idea of jumping on a few good deals but knowing they will just sit there for a while without being played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

ED E wrote: »
    Steam didnt have time counters back in '06 when I started so the that figure is wayyyy off, but regarding this thread you can see what I mean when I say, nope, will never happen.

Ycr2QWt.png

Where did you find those stats? :eek:

I was in RAGE in Dublin and they had a box and instructions to go with my unboxed Super Metroid, they wanted €30!
    I should have paid!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I was in RAGE in Dublin and they had a box and instructions to go with my unboxed Super Metroid, they wanted €30!
    I should have paid!!!!

Presume that was the big box version with the book? Surprised you don't have that in the collection since back in the day. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Jet Black wrote: »
    Last year I thought I'd give it a go. Started off in alphabetical order with Alan Wake as number one. Have to say it was a struggle, I just couldn't get into it and ended up taking over a month to complete. I was glad to have it done. Next game.. Alan Wakes American nightmare. That's when I gave up.

" Then the third game after that was Alan Wake: European Nightmare "

Personally, I don't think I could either. I generally have a good chunk of my games via bundles, where I get the bundle because of one or two games that I would be interested in playing. But I activate them on my steam account anyway in the off chance.

Edit: It's so easy to drop about €2 on a bundle that has 10 games, it's more impulse buying than anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Links234 wrote: »
    Where did you find those stats? :eek:

He used this site

https://steamdb.info/calculator/

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Presume that was the big box version with the book? Surprised you don't have that in the collection since back in the day. :(

Well, you know me, I had it, sold it, bought it again but unboxed.
    I could have turned that into a boxed copy but didn't :(

Advertisement