Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

My mother and friend were at the premiere last night (they won tickets!). They really enjoyed it. Said that Dublin looked lovely in it! My friend is a huge fan :confused: and my mother has giggled away at the tv series. I'm going to see it with some friends tomorrow night. It's not really my thing and I don't like his toilet humour but I like to support the Irish film industry. Brendan O'Carroll is actually a very nice guy, he does a lot of charity work that people aren't aware of. He hadn't seen the movie prior to last night. He wanted the premiere to be in Dublin for his own audience (without the critics!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

My mother and friend were at the premiere last night (they won tickets!). They really enjoyed it.

Well to be honest I think they're the "target demographic"!
    Said that Dublin looked lovely in it!

So...all the budget went on CG? (I'm from Dublin before anyone jumps on that comment!).
    My friend is a huge fan :confused: and my mother has giggled away at the tv series. I'm going to see it with some friends tomorrow night. It's not really my thing and I don't like his toilet humour but I like to support the Irish film industry.

There are other ways! :pac:
    Brendan O'Carroll is actually a very nice guy, he does a lot of charity work that people aren't aware of. He hadn't seen the movie prior to last night. He wanted the premiere to be in Dublin for his own audience (without the critics!).

Yeah, apart from his humour (which to be honest isn't really for me), I really have respect for his charitable efforts. Any proceedings of this going towards them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Yeah, apart from his humour (which to be honest isn't really for me), I really have respect for his charitable efforts.

I like the one liners in the show, some of which are very funny... But it really doesnt deserve to be likened to Joyce as Rory Cowan did yesterday on the radio... But with regard to Brendan O'Carroll himself... Last Christmas I was at somebody's house where they had the full collection of all of his DVDs.... There must have been ten of them, some funny .. some not as much... one which was like it was just recorded by one of his pals at a hotel or something.. But the one thing that stuck with me looking through the box set, was the immense effort and persistence the guy has put in to trying to make it work... And he gets my huge admiration for this..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I like the one liners in the show, some of which are very funny... But it really doesnt deserve to be likened to Joyce as Rory Cowan did yesterday on the radio... But with regard to Brendan O'Carroll himself... Last Christmas I was at somebody's house where they had the full collection of all of his DVDs.... There must have been ten of them, some funny .. some not as much... one which was like it was just recorded by one of his pals at a hotel or something.. But the one thing that stuck with me looking through the box set, was the immense effort and persistence the guy has put in to trying to make it work... And he gets my huge admiration for this..

Well put. I'm going to try and see it tomorrow evening.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I hope it does well and, to be honest, I can't understand people going out of their way to post to criticise it and say how much they hate the series etc.

Nobody is forcing anyone to watch it. I'm not a huge fan of the TV series myself but would watch it if there's nothing else on and I'm sure I'll watch the film some evening when it's on TV.

I know plenty of older folk who enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,604 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I assume the film will be reviewed on tonight's 'Arena' on RTE Radio 1.

I assume the film will be reviewed on tonight's 'Arena' on RTE Radio 1.

Just wondering if Sean Rocks has a part in the movie as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I guess Mrs Browne is like Marmite...love it or hate it.

Personally I cannot bear abide Brendan O'Carrol or Mrs Browne but each to their own.

I live in England and they love that crap over here. I cldnt believe it. Although it tends to be the repressed middle aged working class who see the swearing and smutty innuendos as some sort of rebellious release that they can only dream of in real life..

ps I love Marmite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Even the poster for the film is incredibly hilarious.

Brendan O'Carroll/Mrs Brown holds up two melons in front of his/her chest and pulls a really funny face.

Melons!

Get it?

Because breasts are sometimes referred to as melons and he's holding them in almost the exact same position that his breasts would be if he actually was a woman.

Oh man, when I saw that poster I just knew, just knew this was going to be a classic.

I'm laughing already ffs!

Melons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Nobody will be making ye go see it. The guy is making a few quid from a family gig , can't begrudge him a little success......unless you're Irish ;)

Ah yes if you don't like the tranny it automatically means you begrudge him :rolleyes:

Brendan O'Carroll/Mrs Brown holds up two melons in front of his/her chest and pulls a really funny face.

Melons!

Get it?

Because breasts are sometimes referred to as melons and he's holding them in almost the exact same position that his breasts would be if he actually was a woman.

Oh man, when I saw that poster I just knew, just knew this was going to be a classic.

Melons!

LOL...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Melons!

Get it?

Melons!
    When I saw your username after reading that it made sense :)

I work with a lady over here in England who loves it (again mid 50's,divorced, loved dogs, bad hair..left school at 16)...she tried to convince me that Mrs Browne has culchie accent..(this lady's aunt is from Dublin) at the begining of a tense management meeting.

I was mortified in front of new work colleagues that being Irish I would be somehow associated with Mrs Browne. As I was new, there was a real risk I would have a nickname associated with Mrs Browne. Once I got over the shock of hearig the word culchie in England, I went all stoney faced a la Clint Eastwood and just looked at her and said "No, it is inner Dublin city working class accent. Just like your aunt."

She still persist that it was defo culchie bogger accent...I had to point out that I am actual from Ireland and I know my regional accents.

She kept telling me she was Irish. I gently pointed out by saying: "No you are not. Your aunt is."

God I hated that bitch...she got sacked for bullying a few months later...sorry for digressing...I find it hard to let go...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Lemlin wrote: »
    I hope it does well and, to be honest, I can't understand people going out of their way to post to criticise it and say how much they hate the series etc.

Nobody is forcing anyone to watch it. I'm not a huge fan of the TV series myself but would watch it if there's nothing else on and I'm sure I'll watch the film some evening when it's on TV.

I know plenty of older folk who enjoy it.

dont get it myself either. i dont like downton abbey or madmen for instance, i dont go stalking threads on them to bitch about it.

in certain quarters of the media i think its a form of self loathing, like when father ted came out first and a few nutters there gave out about it being paddy bashing or somesuch.

and i do think theres an element of truth on what o connor said on the subject in that the form of comedy it represents is competely absent from the university set that grew up on black adder and the young ones. its far more in the les dawson school. so i reckon theres a class element to it too. either way i dont think brendan gives a monkies as clearly he's getting to the people that matter - his audience. why would he pay a blind bit of notice to critics when he's beating Dr Who and eastenders at christmas :D

on the movie itself im a bit hesitant myself as when it works Mrs Browns boys if fecking hysterical, but when its not it falls flat and big screens adaptations have a track record of the latter.

still theres bugger all else out i fancy (how to train your dragon 2 is the only other one piquing my interest this week) so ill be heading to it and i have to say i AM getting a sort of perverse joy out of knowing that anyone going to this really doesnt give a flying fuk what any film critic is gonna say about it.

kinda empowering on the creative front

Talking about it on Arena with Sean Rocks now.. First two contributors were not complimentary in their initial comments..

The panelists scored Mrs Brown's Boys The Movie as follows;

Panelist 1: 0 / 5
    Panelist 2: 1 / 5...

Talking about it on Arena with Sean Rocks now.. First two contributors were not complimentary in their initial comments..

Mrs. Brown - I changed my name on my tax bill to Google. :mad: :mad:

1/5 and 0/5 for the casually racist Mrs. Brown!

Did you hear when the panelist said that Brendan O'Carroll was cynically and gratuitously shoehorning RTE "celebrities" in to the script to ensure that they would promote the film during their broadcasts... ??

Oh no, hang on, that was me that said that... :o

I wonder were Derek Mooney (who said Joe Duffy was great in the movie) and Joe Duffy (who said that Derek Mooney was great in the movie) listening to Arena this evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Did you hear when the panelist said that Brendan O'Carroll was cynically and gratuitously shoehorning RTE "celebrities" in to the script to ensure that they would promote the film during their broadcasts... ??

Oh no, hang on, that was me that said that... :o

I wonder were Derek Mooney (who said Joe Duffy was great in the movie) and Joe Duffy (who said that Derek Mooney was great in the movie) listening to Arena this evening?

I think it was Joe and Derek who sent those last texts in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I have nothing against O'Carroll whatsoever but I think the show is as funny as whale****.

Anyone here know why he is always wearing his glasses ON his head??!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I wouldn't expect much. Definitely nothing like Sex and the City given that BBC are behind the production. I think Kermode is great but his need to not offend people (dyer, snyder aside) is eye rolling at times. Akin to the football pundits on Match of the Day. The sitting on the fence is ridiculous at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

here ya go lads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3voJg468ew

cant wait till he reviews the new transformers fim myself !

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

here ya go lads.

There's my enthusiasm nuked.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

here ya go lads.

Spot on!

Laughing at your own jokes, a la Doc Savage from the Funny Friday crew, does not a funny film make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

here ya go lads.

I love how it even drove Simon Mayo to spout vitriol. :D

I almost almost saw this today because I was a little late for Cold In July, think I made the right choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

here ya go lads.

I was kinda right. He didn't hate it. He just thought it was rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Melons!

Get it?

Melons!

Now this is the kind of sarcasm I can get behind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I seen the movie today. I thought it was ****e, but then I'm not a fan so maybe its not for me.

Advertisement