Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

e_e wrote: »
    Definitely not the cinemas, there's at least one good to great new release every week. Sometimes several in one week!

Maybe I was a tad OTT but there's still quite a bit of slop coming out.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I have no idea why MBB elicits such vitriol from people when cinemas and TV are brimming with the same generic drivel year after year.

As a teenager I was subjected to listening to it on the radio. I managed to avoid seeing the 'plays' live but have had to sit through the torturous recordings of these shows. I have formed a very personal and long-lasting dislike of Agnes Brown and her creator.

There's a lot of drivel out there but this drivel has been around for years so I've built up a relationship with it. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    As a teenager I was subjected to listening to it on the radio. I managed to avoid seeing the 'plays' live but have had to sit through the torturous recordings of these shows. I have formed a very personal and long-lasting dislike of Agnes Brown and her creator.

There's a lot of drivel out there but this drivel has been around for years so I've built up a relationship with it. :)

Fair enough. I only became aware of the character after the TV show had finished airing it's second season and was pleasantly surprised. I can completely understand why people wouldn't like it but the sheer amount of hatred it gets just baffles me.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I hate it because its not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

My parents love Mrs Browns boys, the way i see it, let em have it. No harm considering the countless **** that gets pumped out that i detest, chick flicks, dance/singing movies, hammy acting crap (twilight/hunger games etc)

Whats one more movie you wont go to see? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I don't really have anything against the show existing or people liking it. All I know is that the trailer and 1 clip I've seen from this is incredibly poor. So much so that I'm considering seeing whether the film is at least mildly better, I've my unlimited card so I won't feel so guilty about contributing to its box office at least. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭squonk

God the amount of self-righteous posts on here criticizing a movie that hasn't even been officially released yet is unreal. Nobody is forcing you to go see the movie. We all have to sit through trailers we're not particularly interested in from time to time but, so what? When that happens, I just add the movie in question onto my 'Won't see' list.

I won't be going out to see this myself. That being said, I know it'll show up on TV or elsewhere before long and I'll watch it then. I've watched the show from time to time when it's on telly and, while it's not high-class drama or even intelligent comedy in any way, there are times when it's just outrageous and very, very funny. Yeah you have to wait for a laugh at times but at least you know there'll be one. I've watched enough UK and US comedies where the laughs were non-existent. Let's face it, there are very few comedies that make you really laugh out loud. MBB's does have that going for it at times.

There's a time and place for intelligent, well put together comedy and when it's that time, I'll be watching Frasier, Cheers, League Of Gentlemen, BlackAdder, Fr. Ted etc. but every so often you just want a laugh or end up watching something with your family that you can all get a laugh out of. In that situation, MBB is very good.

As mentioned earlier, we're damn lucky there wasn't a Fr. Ted movie. One upside to Dermot Morgan's untimely death was that any thoughts being entertained by anybody in that regard were stillborn. I think we all know that a Fr. Ted movie would have been complete ****.

Finally, good on Brendan O'Carroll. He's worked long and hard to get to this stage. He knows the setup of the world he created inside out by now and you have to hand it to him that it's found a wider appeal outside the country. There was a film made based on the Mrs. Brown character before in the late 90's. It starred Angelica Huston and wasn't that great. I'd expect this to be a heck of a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

squonk wrote: »
    God the amount of self-righteous posts on here criticizing a movie that hasn't even been officially released yet is unreal.

Nothing self-righteous about it at all. At the moment I'm commenting on the clip of the film I have seen and which is poorly written.

As mentioned earlier, we're damn lucky there wasn't a Fr. Ted movie. One upside to Dermot Morgan's untimely death was that any thoughts being entertained by anybody in that regard were stillborn. I think we all know that a Fr. Ted movie would have been complete ****.

The writers of Father Ted never entertained the idea of a Ted movie. Anyone who said there were ever plans for one is incorrect. So Dermot Morgan's death didn't stop they're being a Father Ted movie - even if he were alive to this day it wouldn't have happened because Matthews and Linehan wouldn't have written it.

Dermot Morgan was planning to quit the show at the end of season 3 for fear of being typecast. Linehan and Matthews have said in interviews that they were running out of ideas as well.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭squonk

It was obvious the show would have gone into a downward spiral if it had continued. I don't think S3 was quite on par with the other two. Still great though. I was just answering a poster earlier in this thread who mentioned a Fr. Ted movie. I had no idea whether or not it was ever considered. Thankfully it wasn't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,627 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Says it all when the clip they keep showing of the movie is an out-take (the receptionist bursting into laughter) - almost as if the bloopers generate more laughs than the actual script :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Says it all when the clip they keep showing of the movie is an out-take (the receptionist bursting into laughter) - almost as if the bloopers generate more laughs than the actual script :rolleyes:
    The outakes are an integral part of the TV series.

So is this even getting press screened? No reviews yet on RT.

Kalyke wrote: »
    The outakes are an integral part of the TV series.

Exactamundo, my friend...the first sign of bad comedy is when you have to rely on the bloopers for laughs, be it a film or a TV programme.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So is this even getting press screened? No reviews yet on RT.

Press screening is on Thursday for Ireland anyway. Not that it matters, if ever a film was critic proof...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I need a cinema fix and this is the only thing at the local Cineworld that looks watchable. Not sure if I want to be seen in public going see it.

H. H. Asquith

I need a cinema fix and this is the only thing at the local Cineworld that looks watchable. Not sure if I want to be seen in public going see it.
    :eek:

What about Chef, Jersey Boys, Edge of Tomorrow, Maleficent, Belle, X-Men, 22 Jump Street etc etc? This looks bottom of the pile in terms of watchability to me. Will wager it'll look terrible on a cinema screen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

I'm afraid I won't be watching this, I was cursed with a sense of humour, so nothing for me here

:eek:

What about Chef, Jersey Boys, Edge of Tomorrow, Maleficent, Belle, X-Men, 22 Jump Street etc etc? This looks bottom of the pile in terms of watchability to me. Will wager it'll look terrible on a cinema screen too.

Seen Edge of Tomorrow, X-Men & 22 Jump Street. Maleficient, Belle, Chef and Jersey Boys are really unappealing to me for some reason.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

*shudder*

Bq9ggEqCcAAO80w.jpg

Fuck it, looking at the cinema listings in Galway and it appears that this is playing on two screens in each cinema and as such there's no Cold in July screening in Galway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Just a thought I had...

As this is based on the same source material,
    Has all the same character names (although they've aged)
    And from the trailer it looks to use a few of the same locations...

Is this not technically a sequel/re-make of Agnes Browne :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

you need to go further back for Brendan's Inspiration I would say......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Mother_Riley

I wish I could like the show - but it is pure sh1te - but best of luck to them, its a cash cow

But it wont be remembered in 10 years time.....anyone remember BREAD ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Wolff wrote: »
    you need to go further back for Brendan's Inspiration I would say......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Mother_Riley

I wish I could like the show - but it is pure sh1te - but best of luck to them, its a cash cow

But it wont be remembered in 10 years time.....anyone remember BREAD ?
    bread is still on tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Cant find a single review for this movie... Are people afraid to review it or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Cant find a single review for this movie... Are people afraid to review it or what?

What did YOU think of the screening last night, County? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

What did YOU think of the screening last night, County? :pac:

:eek: I'm the one asking the questions here..

Also, I would be afraid of becoming a critic myself, lest I have Rory Cowan on the airwaves saying "I dont care what County Hurler thinks, he's still in the same job he was in thirty years ago, why would I care about him or any of the critics"... :(

• Advertisement

I just had a thought. The characters in this will probably be better than the majority of the characters in Godzilla.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement