Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie

• 30-03-2014 12:24am

looks greats ill be in stitches all the way through

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I'd rather stick my face in bowl of acid than look at that absolute dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Looks awful, but he knows his audience

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

steve-carrell-office.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like the standard attempt to 'movie' up an inherently static property that is the television sitcom. To be fair, at least they didn't go with the standard trope of sitcom movies and have the cast go on a foreign holiday.

I watched the trailer out of mild interest as tbh I can't abide Mrs. Brown, I was curious to know how they'd adapt such an intentionally archaic sitcom like that to a film, but am quite happy just to let it pass me by. What annoys me are the hordes that often descend on threads like these to defend and attack the show with equal frenzy, as if either viewpoint is a life choice :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Looking forward to Mark Kermode ranting about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Rather stare at the sun for an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

300902.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Nobody will be making ye go see it. The guy is making a few quid from a family gig , can't begrudge him a little success......unless you're Irish ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

e_e wrote: »

You know what? I don't think he will. He'll probably peg it as a harmless comedy which fans of the show will love.

I find it odd that they've stuck an outtake in the middle of the trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, Kermode by his own admission has a bit of a tin ear (as he phrases it) for comedy at the best of times, and I find his comedy reviews tend to be passing ones without much substance. Though I doubt any potential rant would be on a par with his infamous Sex and the City reviews :D
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You know what? I don't think he will. He'll probably peg it as a harmless comedy which fans of the show will love.

I find it odd that they've stuck an outtake in the middle of the trailer.

IIRC, the TV show has out-takes in the middle of the broadcast episode; fluffed lines, unintentional laughing, that sort of thing, working in the live audience for full effect. I guess the film will follow suit.
    Nobody will be making ye go see it. The guy is making a few quid from a family gig , can't begrudge him a little success......unless you're Irish ;)

Man nothing gets my goat more than the hoary 'begrdugery' argument. Whether you like something or don't, if a person hates something they shouldn't have a tired, blanket label thrown in their lap as a consequence. Ok, the vitriol gets a bit much but so what? I don't enjoy O'Carroll's warmed-over vaudeville material myself, but I don't begrudge the man his success - he has clearly worked for it. As overused a term as 'pretentious' or 'PC brigade' imo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Wondered how long it'd take for the begrudgery card to be pulled out. The problem is less with begrudgers and more that some Irish people can't take scepticism/criticism on the chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Il go see it not because I like it , I've watched the TV show and its mildly funny but i'm gonna go and support my mate whos playing one of the securitys guards in it, and also to support Irish Filmaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

pixelburp wrote: »
    IIRC, the TV show has out-takes in the middle of the broadcast episode; fluffed lines, unintentional laughing, that sort of thing, working in the live audience for full effect. I guess the film will follow suit.

I suppose it does follow that tone alright. I imagine they won't keep them in the actual film though and are just throwing in a bit of the gag reel.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

I think only two good things have come about from this show: keep the old fogies happy after Fair City or whatever and he has helped launch facebook "comedian" careers of Cian Twomey and the Dublin lad who just mimick his stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Not my cup of tea but I say fair play to them. Nobody's forcing me to watch it. I saw the Christmas thing a couple of years ago that seemed to serve as a pilot really. I found it mildly entertaining but I had no urge to watch the rest of the series as I didn't think it was my bag. And guess what? I didn't watch it. Everyone wins. Everyone's entitled to their opinion of course but if you hate the series what's the point in sitting down, watching something that you are predisposed to hate anyway and then vent? Don't like Mrs Brown? Fine, I'm right there with you, but that's why, get this amazing idea: that's why I won't go to see the film. Shocker. But I wish all involved the best. Just because it's not my sense of humour doesn't mean it isn't somebody else's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Wondered how long it'd take for the begrudgery card to be pulled out. The problem is less with begrudgers and more that some Irish people can't take scepticism/criticism on the chin.

Exactly. You don't see Michael Fassbender and Liam Neeson being criticised in here, neither do we see Father Ted or Game of Thrones being criticised. There is little to no begrudgery there and there all Irish Exports in terms of their production. Because well.. they're ****ing class. Its how we want to be seen (or at least the majority)

You don't see a critical thread on these topics set up purely for the sake of it.....

Mrs Brown's Boys though....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Should be good alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Adamantium wrote: »
    You don't see Michael Fassbender and Liam Neeson being criticised in here

Yes, you do. Neeson's been phoning it in for years, and Fassbender made a balls of the big finale in X-Men, totally losing the run of his accent at the climax.

But that isn't begrudgery either, it's criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Ah sure jaysis begora begora sure he's an Irish fella making a few quid and sure if it makes someone smile sure jaysis isn't that payment enough.

Still utter utter crap though.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Yes, you do. Neeson's been phoning it in for years, and Fassbender made a balls of the big finale in X-Men, totally losing the run of his accent at the climax.

Fellow muuutants

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

To be fair to Neeson he's had a serious tragedy in his life. If the guy wants to collect a cheque for the rest of his career I for one wouldn't blame him.

As for fassbender Inglorious basterds and 12 years a slave showed he's well able to hide the accent. I really have no idea what happened in first class.

Edit: I watch the show from time to time but I'd definitely be avoiding the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

kinda worried if it can transition, but TBH like the show so ill give it a shot.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 David Teacher

Can't wait, it should be brilliant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

So will the comics he steals most of his crappy jokes from be getting a cut of the box office takings or are they all dead by now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I judge comedy based on how funny I think it is. Mrs Brown's Boys is what it is: puerile, simplistic humor. I've seen all 3 seasons and the Christmas specials and I have no problem admitting that I like it. In addition, it's nice to see something aimed at the older generation. Most modern comedies have casts of mainly 20-30 something models which gets a bit bland after a while. Say what you will, but form my point of view there are certainly many, many shows (especially some US imports) more deserving of the flak that Mrs. Brown's Boys and Brendan O'Carroll receive.
    I certainly intend to see the film. I can't imagine it becoming a comedy classic but I'd be surprised if it turned out to be terrible.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I judge comedy based on how funny I think it is. Mrs Brown's Boys is what it is: puerile, simplistic humor. I've seen all 3 seasons and the Christmas specials and I have no problem admitting that I like it. In addition, it's nice to see something aimed at the older generation. Most modern comedies have casts of mainly 20-30 something models which gets a bit bland after a while. Say what you will, but form my point of view there are certainly many, many shows (especially some US imports) more deserving of the flak that Mrs. Brown's Boys and Brendan O'Carroll receive.
    I certainly intend to see the film. I can't imagine it becoming a comedy classic but I'd be surprised if it turned out to be terrible.

Really well put - I don't expect it to be the best movie I've ever seen, but I expect it'll be good and well worth a watch..... wait and you see now, we'll be proved wrong and it'll be a load of garbage ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

It's obviously aimed at older people - do they not have a right to enjoy a few laughs? Not everyone is going to be into things like Alan Partridge or the Office or whatever. Don't get the vitriol myself.

I'm not old and I still like it:-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭thrashmetalfan

glad to hear I am not the only one who is hacked off with endless American comedy with the same character archetypes that appear in nearly every show. middle class pretty people holding down white collar jobs earning a ton of cash etc etc. parks and recreation is good but that's it. I might actually go to see the movie because I like it when Brendan goes off script and improvises some jokes here and there or when something goes wrong and he reacts to it. then it is quite amusing. one other thing I cannot understand is that the bbc seem to hold the show at arms length. they know its very popular and yet almost ashamed of it because it is so popular. I have only seen Brendan on two bbc shows, the one show and QI. you would think he would be on Graham Norton by now.

Advertisement