Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jupiter Ascending - Wachowski Siblings

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw the trailer and said, that looks fookin' terrible, not a chance am I going to see it. But I had no idea the wachowski's were involved, gonna have to give it a go at the very least now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Its a film many would have fairly low to zero expectations, the pedigree of the Wachowskis notwithstanding, so it could yet be a pleasant surprise. I'm a sucker for some splashy space opera, so I'd be a happy bunny if it turned out entertaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

http://www.thewrap.com/jupiter-ascending-review-wachowskis-mila-kunis-channing-tatum/
    There is no “up” in space, and there is no “the top” over which The Wachowskis will not go in “Jupiter Ascending,” a sci-fi saga that’s convoluted and silly, yes, but also exciting and enthralling over the course of its two-hours-and-change running time. Inducing gasps and giggles in equal quantities, it’s a film better enjoyed not as “from the makers of ‘The Matrix’ and ‘Cloud Atlas’” but rather as “the most expensive movie Roger Corman never made.”

http://baretnewswire.org/humble-housekeeper-turns-earth-heir-apparent-futuristic-sci-fi/
    An over-stimulating, intergalactic odyssey evocative of The Wizard of Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkaron

Very, very, very excited for this! I'll be watching it in IMAX tomorrow night. Just re-watched The Matrix last night to remind myself at how freaking good the Wachowskis are at writing a script. Everything is so much denser than the other scripts in the industry...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

god awfull.

spent the whole film trying to figure out if it was a bad action flim or a bad romance film. eitherway was left completely non plussed about the whole affair (and i like skyline FFS !)

There is some lovely ideas in it dont get me wrong. what the ruling families are up to is a perfectly logical thing and it has some gorgeous set designs in it, complete with some lovely visuals on what a type 2 civilisations homeworld would look like.

but by GOD it takes ages to get going, far FAR too much of mila kunis cleaning a jax.

and the actions sequences make michael bay look tame by comparison, i hadnt a clue what was going on half the time. seriously if transformers throws you on the CGI action front this will leave ya completely confused.

i guess worst of all i just didnt care about any of the characters. theyre not BAD characters, and its well acted (though the main bad guy seems to be channeling lord voldermort) .

its just DULL.

3/10

Wouldnt go again, wouldnt advise anyone i know to go, cant even say it s a good DVD with beers film. really disappointed. cant belive the lads behind the matrix were involved.

• Advertisement

I'd say it's well worth watching at the cinema, since Jupiter Ascending contains some of the most beautifully crafted images Hollywood has ever produced. The production design is ripe with ideas that fill the screen so relentlessly you'll never catch everything in one viewing.

The action is insane (especially the Chicago chase), like nothing we've seen before, with a very clear sense of spatial orientation and clarity... really, I don't see the comparison with Micheal Bay, who tends to over-edit or shake his camera needlessly. Here, it's all about stable camera, logical cuts and kinetic energy. Sure, you need to follow carefully, but I found it masterfully executed.

And Giacchino's score is easily better than 95% of whatever film music came out last year.

The story seems pretty straightforward, so I really don't know where those "no idea what's happening" comments are coming from sometimes... anyway, I agree the romantic scenes/dialogues are pretty dull, but it's because the Wachowskis prefer writing the characters' sentimental interactions into action sequences (sunrise setting, cyclical rescues, and so on).

No, the main problem for me is Mila Kunis... she can't carry it all on her shoulders, and threatens to bring the film to the brink of collapse because she has no idea how to act her scenes... =/ It's a real shame, IMHO.

All in all, the on-screen universe asks the audience for a leap of faith into sci-fantasy world, but the sheer imagination of the world is impressive.

I would defo recommend it, if only for this chase scene that took 6 months to shoot and might just make your head explode with awesomeness!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Things I Never Thought Id See Online part 94: The Wachowskis compared to Michael Bay :cool:

20% or so on RT does not a good forcast for this film make. Sometimes RT gets it wrong, but usually it's on the money.

Can a director (or two) really be a one hit wonder (or in this case, a one trilogy wonder) as much as they have? Maybe they need a hard ass producer like Jerry Bruckheimer to reign in their madness.

Having Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis in a "Space Opera" sounds like something Gary Busey would pitch to a film studio whilst sniffing cocaine off a dog's arse.

Anyone I know who has seen the film has enjoyed it for what it is, a big, dumb, fun blockbuster that's all about the spectacle. It's the kind of film that many critics and film snobs will turn their nose up and as such I don't have much faith in many of the reviews I've seen thus far, one I saw seemed more concerned with how Tatum looked than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm not a critic and not a film snob, and I didn't really like it.

I expect the Wachowskis pitched this to WB and the stars with "Star Wars" comparisons (action figures, merchandise etc.) but it hasn't a hope at that market.

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm not a critic and not a film snob, and I didn't really like it.

I expect the Wachowskis pitched this to WB and the stars with "Star Wars" comparisons (action figures, merchandise etc.) but it hasn't a hope at that market.

I wasn't implying that those who dislike the film are in fact those things but this is a film that many will have an opinion of before even seeing.

• Advertisement

Second viewing tonight, actually even more exciting! :) The Wachowskis are taking apart the codes of fairy tale storytelling to propose a new dynamic within the genre. I guess not many people care, but I find it quite well written, with a progressive, intradiegetic evolution.

If this is to be the last big budget film of theirs financed by Hollywood, at least they went all the way, to the great pleasure of a few weirdos like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I wasn't implying that those who dislike the film are in fact those things but this is a film that many will have an opinion of before even seeing.

What's a film snob?

Memnoch wrote: »
    What's a film snob?

A film snob is someone who would go see a film like Jupiter Ascending and then complain that it isn't realistic. Generally they are people whom believe their cinematic tastes superior to all others. They are people who will watch a film, not enjoy it but rather simply so that they can talk down to others about it, they will over analyse a film and then talk mock anyone who enjoys something they don't. One of the worst examples of a film snob is when they hear you haven't seen such and such a film they do that mock pity thing. When I hear someone hasn't seen a film such as Seven Samurai I envy them as they get to experience it for the first time, a film snob on the other hand will belittle you and imply there is something wrong with you.

If you want to see an example of film snobbery, find any decent critic who may give 3 stars to some blockbuster and read the comments beneath. Guaranteed to find something along the lines of "if you believe that Fast & Furious deserves 3 or 4 stars then you are an idiot".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Love most Wachowski movies so was pretty excited to go see this earlier. Left feeling a little underwhelmed. For me the characterisations failed to create the dramatic tension necessary to carry me through the rather long action sequences. It looks beautiful throughout and I loved the vibrant colours. Think there was a lot of potential to do something more serious with the concept but guess it was going more for the space-romp vibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I very much enjoyed it. It is a bit dumb, for sure, but very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

cloud493 wrote: »
    I very much enjoyed it. It is a bit dumb, for sure, but very enjoyable.

agreed its nowhere near the masterpiece that was the first Matrix film, but its an enjoyable 2 hours popcorn style film. The effects and fight scenes were amazing that you must see it in IMAX. It could have done with having just
    Eddie Redmayne as the main villain, and got rid of Douglas Booth and Tuppence Middleton would have helped the running time and wouldn't have harmed the film at all
    . Channing Tatum is a great action hero and he was the best thing in it. Mila Kunis was fine. And I was happy that
    Sean Bean didn't die
    . Not a great film but nowhere near as bad as the critics are making it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Looper007 wrote: »
    agreed its nowhere near the masterpiece that was the first Matrix film, but its an enjoyable 2 hours popcorn style film. The effects and fight scenes were amazing that you must see it in IMAX. It could have done with having just
    Eddie Redmayne as the main villain, and got rid of Douglas Booth and Tuppence Middleton would have helped the running time and wouldn't have harmed the film at all
    . Channing Tatum is a great action hero and he was the best thing in it. Mila Kunis was fine. And I was happy that
    Sean Bean didn't die
    . Not a great film but nowhere near as bad as the critics are making it out.

I'm honestly not trying to flame ye here, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I thought this was brutal, and as a massive sci-fi nerd missing the big space opera's that studios aren't interested in making these days I am a very forgiving critic. I couldn't find anything to like about this, IMO if it flops along with the bad reviews its set Space Opera movies back years.

I was hoping this would be successful and lead to a Mass Effect adaptation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I'm honestly not trying to flame ye here, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I thought this was brutal, and as a massive sci-fi nerd missing the big space opera's that studios aren't interested in making these days I am a very forgiving critic. I couldn't find anything to like about this, IMO if it flops along with the bad reviews its set Space Opera movies back years.

I was hoping this would be successful and lead to a Mass Effect adaptation.

I respect you're opinion oxygen. Maybe some had higher hopes with this but I think The Wachowskis were always a two film wonder (Bound and The Matrix) and their films after those seriously needed reigning in. I admire Cloud Atlas though.

I can see why some would slaughter me for saying it was a enjoyable film, I just didn't think it was as bad as many as Reviewers were painting it as. I think coming from The Wachowskis many were expecting something a little smarter, an arty space movie with a little action thrown. But I got my moneys worth for a leave you're brain at the door blockbuster. It is a visual feast, the story is non existence and some of the acting (Eddie Redmayne hamming it up) is awful but the action scenes were great. It won't be breaking into my top 20 films at the end of the year or top 50 but it wasn't the train wreck I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Visually stunning, well framed etc. The premise was interesting but it fell flat. Channing Tatum was a charisma vacuum. He was channeling his inner Keanu Reeves all the way through. The baddie was more peculiar and a caricature of an evil villain than menacing.

I wouldnt recommend it to anyone tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'm really suspicious of the hammering this film is getting. It's as if it was marketed as some super serious revelation that would blow Serenity and Star Wars out from the pages of history. Maybe it was, but I didn't see that.

It's much better than your average Hollywood blockbuster. You're not fed back-story and so you meet each character with the same wonder and suspicion as Jupiter. The world they created is very rich, captivating and beautiful. The action is very very good but, in my opinion, stops short of distracting from the characters. Finally, I think Channing and Kunis were actually great together, funny, human and at times heroic.

There definitely isn't much character development but the only way there could have been would be to simplify the world and reduce the number of characters enormously or make the movie twice as long which people would also have whinged about.

I walked out of the cinema (BFI IMAX :) ) with a smile on my face and so did mostly everyone else, as far as I could tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

Absolutely terrible acting, script and direction. The only redeeming quality was some of the visual effects and costume/creature design. I wouldn't even recommend this as a rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No, the main problem for me is Mila Kunis... she can't carry it all on her shoulders

The reason she cant carry it on her shoulders is that she looks like a stick insect
    Physically, it was the most challenging role I've ever had. You train for six months and work out all day, five days a week."
    She continued: "I've never been in better shape in my life and by the time we began shooting, I had zero body fat.

Zero per cent body fat :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,553 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I went and seen this film today. Must say I really enjoyed it and would certainly watch it again. There is some really beautiful scenes in it.I loved all the space scenes and ships too.The story is simple enough but still good. Way better than what some of the reviews have said about it. I also thought the acting was quiet good too. Maybe there was the small little bit that could have been done better but otherwise it was a very good film. Funny in parts too.

Was there a teaser in the credits? I normally stay and watch the credits untill the lights come on but I had to go as soon as they stated this time as had a bus to catch. Will there be a 2nd film on this ?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Will do a more indepth post on my thoughts but really rather conflicted on Jupiter Ascending, on one hand it's amongst the most visually stunning pieces of cinema that I have ever seen but story is all over the place, some of the cast are just bad and there were more holes that I care to count but the set pieces did make up for it. And it looks so damn good, don't think anyone will make a film like it ever again, it's ambitious, bombastic and looking to be a loss maker which is sad as it's far more enjoyable than Transformers or most other blockbusters. Plus it has a rugged as hell Sean Bean sporting two very nice jackets. Tatum was great but Kunis is not a lead, she had no chemistry with Tatum and their flirting was just awkward and stilted beyond belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

The problem with negative reviews is that they are often excessively emotional and heavy on the hyperbole with an all or nothing tone.

IMO, the Wachowskis make unique films that although are often tempered by the restrictions of blockbuster processes, still manage to have something unique and individual with enough redeeming qualities, which make their films interesting at least.

Why it wasn't as good as The Matrix/ Bound/ Cloud Atlas is more interesting than dismissing it out of hand, I think. Unlike Interstellar, its grasp exceeded its reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

I went to see this last week having not really followed any of the build up. I like sci-fi, including the epic space opera type, and I like action, but I did not like this. It looked great and a lot of the alien tech was pretty imaginative, but the writing was pretty dreadful. So many cliches - the walking stereotype immigrant Russian family, the scheming sociopathic rich-kids (transplanted into an interstellar dynasty), the grizzled military veteran and his wayward loose-cannon protege...I could go on. I don't know what Eddie Redmayne was thinking with his performance. He could be up for a Razzie next time round it was that bad. As for the supposed attraction between the two leads...it just appears out of nowhere, as if the filmmakers remembered halfway through that these things always happen in films.

Having said all that, it didn't bore me, which puts it well ahead of most of Michael Bay's recent output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Walked into this after the painfully dull and empty American Sniper and this was the uplift that I needed. Completely ridiculous and camp as hell but I really had a good time with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I watched this movie last night... it made me want to punch myself.. it also made me come onto this thread to warn possible future watchers.... DON'T.... It is unmitigated sh!te.. absolute donkey balls...

The film makes a bad decision after bad decision... actually thats probably the most interesting aspect of this movie... How can they get everything completely wrong...

I am going to watch Fight Club later, to cheer me up.. and watch someone else punch themselves....

Advertisement