Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dragon's Crown. Vanillaware does HD

Options
  • 09-06-2011 1:35am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Vanillaware does a side scrolling brawler on the HD consoles and it looks absolutely stunning! Cannot wait for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

This was in the PSVita montage at Sony's E3 show wasn't it? Interesting.

Looks beautiful, but hopefully there's more to it than just a side scrolling beat em up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Hehe, I knew you'd be interested in this Retr0! It looks absolutely gorgeous in those screens and it was one of the standout games on the Vita montage shown during the presser.

My only problem with it is the epic boobage on the female characters - my OH is always looking for games for us to play with each other in co-op and so we've played quite a few side-scrollers together, but she just won't play something with characters that are basically breasts on legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

The sorceress design is fucking shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I quite liked it.

Seriously though it looks like alot of fun. Just want a HD remake of Odin Sphere and Muramasa for DL on PSN/Live

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There was talk about a HD version of Odin Sphere a while back. Not heard much since. Would be easy enough considering all the art assets in the PS2 Odin Sphere were supposedly for a HD consoles and not down graded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

gloobag wrote: »
    but hopefully there's more to it than just a side scrolling beat em up.

Why?! The world needs more 2d side scrolling beat em ups. I can only play so much Streets of Rage and Aliens Versus Predator. :pac:

That video looks the business. Anything with Odin Sphere type visuals wins.

Indeed. Her hat isn't nearly big enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vanillaware also have a traditional JRPG coming out on the PSP soon but it hasn't been picked up for localisation yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Serious ROFL at the female character design. Shameful stuff.

Distinct Golden Axe like vibe from the video. Loved the visuals of Odin Sphere but didn't always have the patience for the gameplay. HD art design invention is only to be encouraged though. Probably should have spent less time on breast mechanics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

The sorceress design was what I was gonna comment on...

Then I saw it was getting the most attention already :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 angelinalove

Well i have seen the video, the characters are good but why the background is like this. i never seen such type of games this this amazing background. Its good the creator in really very innovative

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I just realized, this is a Sony exclusive isn't it? God damn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I am not liking this discrimination of busty ladies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Very old bump, but the game was released last week in the US and is getting quite good reviews, the developer reckons that this is what the Hack and Slash genre should of ended up being like after Golden Axe and had been trying to make the game since the 90's, anyway Amazon has a EU release date set for October 11, hopefully Gamesnash will be getting it in.

Some Reviews

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/qaey8s/dragon-s-crown-review

http://uk.gamespot.com/dragons-crown/reviews/dragons-crown-review-6412299/

http://ie.ign.com/games/dragons-crown/ps3-110941

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Vanillaware also have a traditional JRPG coming out on the PSP soon but it hasn't been picked up for localisation yet.

What is it?

Master of the Universe

Xenji wrote: »
    the developer reckons that this is what the Hack and Slash genre should of ended up being like after Golden Axe and had been trying to make the game since the 90's

There are other games like it from the 90s though, Guardian Heroes an the two Capcom CPS2 Dungeons and Dragons games for example. Bit odd for the developer to quote straight back to Golden Axe without giving them a mention.

Game looks absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to give it a try.

o1s1n wrote: »
    There are other games like it from the 90s though, Guardian Heroes an the two Capcom CPS2 Dungeons and Dragons games for example. Bit odd for the developer to quote straight back to Golden Axe without giving them a mention.

Game looks absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to give it a try.

He actually worked on Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom, he also mentioned The King of Dragons which never got a EU release.

http://www.1up.com/news/vanillaware-george-kamitani-dragon-crown

Master of the Universe

He actually worked on Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom, he also mentioned The King of Dragons which never got a EU release.

http://www.1up.com/news/vanillaware-george-kamitani-dragon-crown

Ah right, I was just going by what you said! Just read that about him working on Tower of Doom on the wiki page.

The King of Dragons did get a EU release in arcades, I have the CPS1 board at home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

ordered the game from play asia yesterday

**** waiting till october to play it :P

ordered the game from play asia yesterday

**** waiting till october to play it :P

How much was it and how long do they take to deliver? Can not see the site at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

How much was it and how long do they take to deliver? Can not see the site at work.

it cost me about 42 euros and usually takes a month to arrive :D

• Advertisement

it cost me about 42 euros and usually takes a month to arrive :D

Nice one, will order it when I get home, a months wait is better than nearly 3

It's about 45 I think. Free deliver. Takes a while to arrive from them, 3-4 weeks. Hong Kong post is slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's about 45 I think. Free deliver. Takes a while to arrive from them, 3-4 weeks. Hong Kong post is slow!

You can get it at VideogamesPlus for about 42 including postage as well now:

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=19975

You can get it at VideogamesPlus for about 42 including postage as well now:

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=19975

Have bought stuff off of them before and they are quite fast, last game I got only took about a week to arrive after I paid for it, would recommend them and will be going with them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Have bought stuff off of them before and they are quite fast, last game I got only took about a week to arrive after I paid for it, would recommend them and will be going with them now.

Yeah, I've used them quite a few times. They're usually very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

Yeah, I usually get stuff off videogamesplus in less than a week. Considering it's coming from Canada that's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Went on PSN last night to download this and couldn't find it. October 11th!? The hell? Odd for a game not to launch on the Friday in the same week as the US release. Thanks for the links, will order this right away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Went on PSN last night to download this and couldn't find it. October 11th!? The hell? Odd for a game not to launch on the Friday in the same week as the US release. Thanks for the links, will order this right away

I think there were publisher issues or something, it wasn't even certain it was being released in Europe for a while.

You could always create a US PSN account and buy a US PSN giftcard from PlayAsia.

• Advertisement

Whole host of review here for the game, all seem very positive about it

http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/31/dragons-crown-reviews-hit-get-the-scores-here/

Advertisement