Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

Shelbourne Hotel remove historic statues due to association with slavery - *Read OP**

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

imme wrote: »
    She's Irish now, there's no getting rid of her.

She regularly appears on radio talking about "our country" and her Irishness.

Unbelievable.
    As far as I'm concerned the only Irish thing about her is the legal print on her passport. She's a rabble rouser out to butter her own bread sucking on the teat of the usual cloth headed idiots in Irish media on the back of a PhD in Equality Studies awarded by UCD School of Social Justice* that increases, not decreases the feeling of Them versus Us. For that lot she should be ignored.

Never mind that she comes across as not the brightest bulb in the box. I mean her suggestion that Egyptologists should decipher the hieroglyphs on a 19th century French work of neo classicism to find their meaning speaks volumes to her areas of ignorance. Or maybe she expects her small coterie of overpampered but never happy D4 middle aged White knit your own organic muesli sandals types to be equally stupid. And they almost always are.

*Which is all that needs saying really. Social Justice "studies", the font and purveyor of the hardline and monumentally simplistic oppressor/oppressed narrative that earns her a living and continues to feed the Irish public bullsh1t of the finest quality and heft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

If the predicted recession is half as brutal as predicted we won't have the money(including UCD and quangos) to indulge in her nonsense. In the same way the Green Party all over the world disappears during times of economic hardship. Ebun J and the Green party are great ways to tell you you have too much money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Joseph:

She has cited the need to overhaul the Irish education system to also incorporate anti-racist material into the curriculum,[8] as well as the need for more diversity within teaching staff

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Gervais08 wrote: »
    She very very regularly slags us off - one quote was something about the more “the Irish” deny they are racists, the more they are.
    Coolaboola. Sean is a hardline nazi, brown uniform and crooked cross armbands, the lot. Drives a Volkswagen. I suppose that must make Sean pretty much 100% not a racist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Wibbs wrote: »
    Coolaboola. Sean is a hardline nazi, brown uniform and crooked cross armbands, the lot. Drives a Volkswagen. I suppose that must make Sean pretty much 100% not a racist.

On the EJ Scale yeah!!!

Joseph:

She has cited the need to overhaul the Irish education system to also incorporate anti-racist material into the curriculum,[8] as well as the need for more diversity within teaching staff
    I take it Ebun will be giving up her post for a white Irishman then, ya'know for diversity's sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Dempo1 wrote: »
    The same American investment fund currently haemorrhaging money at the shelbourne you mean?? Its also Intriguing how their sudden sky high valuations were leaked after the story broke don't you think?

Who ever took a blind bit of notice of these statues before this non story, seriously

They play the long game. It's sits amongst a tonne of other investments in a portfolio. Doubt they were so hard up they need to flog a few statues to the lads down Dunsink Lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Lest we forget, Ebun Joseph was:
    Administrative Secretary for the Nigerian Britain Association before emigrating to Ireland in 2002.

Now emigrating is a polite word for applying for asylum.
    It is astonishing that so many people fell for her scam. The unfortunate "Doctor" ended up in Ireland where the workers paid for all her (and her family's) needs only to be admonished as racist for providing her the opportunities of free health, education, housing, that nowhere else in the world would provide her.

This phrase, while overdone, really applies here: Only in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i dont know of this is the correct forum, but the principle holds true, be it statues or food.

'Uncle Ben's' rice being rebranded after racial stereotype criticism'

what did UB do that may be considered racial stereotyping?:

The firm said Uncle Ben was the name of a fictional character that was first used in 1946 as a reference to an African-American Texan rice farmer.

It said the image it used "was a beloved Chicago chef and waiter named Frank Brown".

can anyone explain here what the problem is? i'm genuinely confused.

https://news.sky.com/story/uncle-bens-new-name-announced-in-move-to-avoid-racial-stereotypes-12079262

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Listening to Dr. Ebun Joseph on Newstalk this morning and she came across very badly, almost deranged.

The black community in ireland really need to find a voice that is a lot more, calm, coherent and reasoned if they want to highlight issues of racism in Ireland.

I’m sick of this lady telling us how bad we are in this country and that racism is endemic in our society.

Why oh why is she still here if this country is so bad? There is nothing whatsoever stopping her from hopping on a plane and getting away from this racist cesspit.

Maybe Africa doesn't have an over generous Welfare system that we have , she might have to work for a living . If Ireland's that bad , there's 50 other countries in africa to live . Why do media give the time off day to race-baiters like her .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Can you imagine if some loony from here went to Nigeria and a few minutes in the door blamed the natives for everything and for not being accepting to whites, she should get a lot worse that some negative comments on twitter......

For such a supposedly awful country, we are incredibly tolerant.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd give it less than 2 weeks when the statues are back that some entitled fookwits seize or destroy them followed by a response of no criticism from our crooked media in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

imme wrote: »
    I don't think they'll be interfered with.
    They were OK until they were lighted upon by people seeking to further their own agenda.

I am delighted that they are being reinstated. A plaque to 'explain' them is planned according to RTE news.

Unnecessary.

Edun Joseph was on 9 o clock Rte news saying that Ireland missed an opportunity.

She doesn't give up and she doesn't learn.

Maybe she needs to sign up for her own courses in UCD:

"University College Dublin is introducing a module aimed at exploring the experiences of people of Black African descent.

The first module of its type in Ireland, ‘Black Studies and Critical Race Perspectives in Education’ will examine the histories, social movements and contributions of people of African descent, as well as look at contemporary forms of Blackness in society and around the world.

The coordinators behind the new module say that students will learn about key thinkers in the Black diaspora, their theories, and be offered narratives counter to traditional Eurocentric thinking.

“With increasing interest in Black studies across the world, this module will help non-Blacks comprehend what living as a person of Black African descent can entail,” said Dr Ebun Joseph, who will be overseeing the new class alongside Professor Kathleen Lynch."

from UCD website

Aka 'critical race theory' - where all whites are basically born racists.
    Critical race theory is a theoretical framework, rooted in Marxism, that posits individuals as oppressed or oppressor based on their skin color.

Richard Posner - a retired Judge of the U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals has "label[ed] critical race theorists and postmodernists the 'lunatic core' of 'radical legal egalitarianism

Same 'theory' has literally ripped through US colleges

https://youtu.be/k1YZkAdn3Ls?t=26s.*

UCD is in for some interesting times ahead imo.

*Please excuse the link btw - but its late and its remains a very good explanation of the issue in the US given directly by Bret Weinstein - academic, biologist & evolutionary theorist

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

gozunda wrote: »

Dave Rubin in the anti-BLM and now The Sun in this thread? Your sources of information are appalling and the people they have on are reactionary oddballs who don't believe half the shit they put out.

God bless your innocence though because the others in the 'I hate stuff on the internet' club would have the cop-on not to reveal their sources for fear of the ridicule it rightfully attracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Kivaro wrote: »
    Lest we forget, Ebun Joseph was:
    Administrative Secretary for the Nigerian Britain Association before emigrating to Ireland in 2002.

Now emigrating is a polite word for applying for asylum.
    It is astonishing that so many people fell for her scam. The unfortunate "Doctor" ended up in Ireland where the workers paid for all her (and her family's) needs only to be admonished as racist for providing her the opportunities of free health, education, housing, that nowhere else in the world would provide her.

This phrase, while overdone, really applies here: Only in Ireland.

It’s the woke loons that enable this nonsense (eg every Newstalk presenter) that should be called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

nj27 wrote: »
    It's genuinely difficult to think of a more effective way of inoculating public against her ideology than to have it expressed by such an aggressive, inarticulate, and ignorant speaker whose central method of argumentation appears to be shouting the words racism and black bodies. I hope to hear a lot more from her on the national airwaves soon.

RTE should give her her own show to peddle her wares. Give her ideas plenty of exposure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

i will take the statues off their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    i will take the statues off their hands

dirty bollix

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

So the statues have been verified and revealed for what they really are. So has that Ebun one.
    I certainly will be turning her off at any and every opportunity whenever I see her in future, given that she missed her opportunity to apologise. Not one more minute for her views from me, and that’s nothing to do with her race, it’s entirely her attitude.
    I’m happy to see the statues restored, I think their aesthetic value to the front of the building is really nice.

i dont know of this is the correct forum, but the principle holds true, be it statues or food.

'Uncle Ben's' rice being rebranded after racial stereotype criticism'

what did UB do that may be considered racial stereotyping?:

The firm said Uncle Ben was the name of a fictional character that was first used in 1946 as a reference to an African-American Texan rice farmer.

It said the image it used "was a beloved Chicago chef and waiter named Frank Brown".

can anyone explain here what the problem is? i'm genuinely confused.

https://news.sky.com/story/uncle-bens-new-name-announced-in-move-to-avoid-racial-stereotypes-12079262
    Critical Rice Theory is the problem here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

As far as I'm concerned the only Irish thing about her is the legal print on her passport. She's a rabble rouser out to butter her own bread sucking on the teat of the usual cloth headed idiots in Irish media on the back of a PhD in Equality Studies awarded by UCD School of Social Justice* that increases, not decreases the feeling of Them versus Us. For that lot she should be ignored.

Never mind that she comes across as not the brightest bulb in the box. I mean her suggestion that Egyptologists should decipher the hieroglyphs on a 19th century French work of neo classicism to find their meaning speaks volumes to her areas of ignorance. Or maybe she expects her small coterie of overpampered but never happy D4 middle aged White knit your own organic muesli sandals types to be equally stupid. And they almost always are.

*Which is all that needs saying really. Social Justice "studies", the font and purveyor of the hardline and monumentally simplistic oppressor/oppressed narrative that earns her a living and continues to feed the Irish public bullsh1t of the finest quality and heft.

If you are denying this then you are denying the right of any first generation immigrant to be considered in any way Irish, even if have they have lived here for the majority of their lives.

I was away from boards for a long while, rejoined it last week.

The thing that really jumps out at me is how its become a platform for right wing, anti immigrant viewpoints.

Its popping up again and again and again, across multiple different threads but principally in this 'Current Affairs/IMHO' section.

One thing for sure, anyone that disagrees with you here will be quickly shot down by a gang of 'like minded' people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I never heard of this woman till the Ribena thing. TBH she hasnt come across very well in the Shelbourne affair either.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    If you are denying this then you are denying the right of any first generation immigrant to be considered in any way Irish, even if have they have lived here for the majority of their lives.
    1) there's quite the gulf between someone living here since they were say 6 and someone coming here in their 30's in the middle of an exploited bit of now defunct legislation.2) I have no issue with her legal standing. 3) If I lived in Senegal for 20 years and got a Senegalese passport would you consider me Senegalese? If you say yes, pardon me if I wouldn't quite believe you.
    The thing that really jumps out at me is how its become a platform for right wing, anti immigrant viewpoints.
    I'm certainly not right wing. Unless you consider someone who supports a welfare state, equal rights across gender sexuality and race, the right to chose and yes, legal migration to be "right wing". Grand so.

I am anti the current politic of "multiculturalism", because it causes more negatives than positives in my opinion and it's exclusively majority pale skinned countries and cultures that are deemed to require such "diversity" and usually of a particular kind. Other non native pale skinned minorities don't count. And to be frank I'm sick of it being peddled without question.
    One thing for sure, anyone that disagrees with you here will be quickly shot down by a gang of 'like minded' people.
    Considering the jus soli legislation loophole that had tens of thousands of people come here during the celtic tiger was rejected by 80% of the Irish people in a democratic vote you may find more people than you think would support my position over yours. Oh and that passed by a much larger margin than either the abortion or marriage votes which we patted ourselves on the back over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

That does not apply here. The poster is talking about one specific person who doesnt seem to value integration. You cant just assume Wibbs would say that about every single first generation immigrant. I also think you are confusing nationality with ethnicity. Personally I don't like guessing people's ethnicity but I wouldn't blame people for arguing she isn't ethnically Irish even though she I believe has Irish nationality.

Right wing isnt a synonym for anti immigration. Supporting moderate immigration is not the same as being anti immigration. In many topic this forum is very leftie, to the point of being exclusionary even.

Dave Rubin in the anti-BLM and now The Sun in this thread? Your sources of information are appalling and the people they have on are reactionary oddballs who don't believe half the **** they put out.

God bless your innocence though because the others in the 'I hate stuff on the internet' club would have the cop-on not to reveal their sources for fear of the ridicule it rightfully attracts

Why you permanently avoid playing the ball Junkyard? Here bizarrely chosing to criticise just 2 links (referring to academics btw) used of many with oddly enough one of those from a different thread,? And yes the above my only comment here.

So you are claiming that a leading US criminologist and ex Judge Richard Posner and academic Bret Weinstein a Biologist, evolutionary theorist who are quoted directly are 'appalling' "reactionary oddballs"? And to quote your erudite point " who don't believe half the shit they put out."?

I presume you are a founder of this "I hate stuff on the internet' club you talk about?

If you don't like discussion or only look to shut people up why bother? Whatever I don't care who you are offended by or otherwise - just don't try the same crack here. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Be right back

I wonder did the statues bother her before they were removed in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Listening to Dr. Ebun Joseph on Newstalk this morning and she came across very badly, almost deranged.

The black community in ireland really need to find a voice that is a lot more, calm, coherent and reasoned if they want to highlight issues of racism in Ireland.

I’m sick of this lady telling us how bad we are in this country and that racism is endemic in our society.

Why oh why is she still here if this country is so bad? There is nothing whatsoever stopping her from hopping on a plane and getting away from this racist cesspit.

Ebun Joseph is a deranged racist, she’s almost the pendulum swing of Gemma, inventing racism and slamming white people to further her own career. She wouldnt dare go live in a black country again though

Welcome to a too large corner of current western culture, where feelings trump facts. Well, facts are inconvenient.

Joseph will be beyond ecstatic about this. She craves the attention and the need to peddle her invented wares and keep her position as Outraged Black Woman Calling Out Racist Ireland. It's what pays the bills, it's what got her an education and niche and she'll exploit it to the maximum. Well after fleeing that despotic failed nation that is the UK looking for asylum here...

How is it that she lived and campaigned on a similar platform in the UK and then ended up looking to move to Ireland?
    Was she kicked out or?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Paint the statues white and she would definitely lose the head.

gozunda wrote: »
    How is it that she lived and campaigned on a similar platform in the UK and then ended up looking to move to Ireland?
    Was she kicked out or?
    Given the choice of Ireland or the UK, I'd certainly pick Ireland and not because I'm Irish. Doubly so in the middle of the celtic tiger years, daft madness that they may have been, a much better(if it weren't exploited) social safety net and even at the time, outside of house prices a lower cost of living, a much less crowded place and a cheap Ryanair flight to anywhere in Europe for that cosmopolitan weekend. Add in at the time automatic residency if you have a child born here then it would be a no brainer. Plus if you wanted to kick off a career in media and academia in race relations and the oppressor/oppressed narrative you'd be in on the ground floor as one if not the first.