Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

2010 Felt Dispatch stolen from the supposedly secure bike storage area of my apartment complex off Cork Street, Dublin 8 at some point between last night and now.

10_FELT_DISPATCH(4).jpg

Only have the stock image I'm afraid - mine was black with faded red bar tape, a black saddle, front and rear mudguards and a cross top brake lever rather than drop brake levers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ Ophelia Magnificent Fabric

ED E wrote: »
    I am NOT victim blaming but when the police are so useless at preventing bike theft can employers not dedicate 20m^2 for a secure bike lockup? Im very fortunate in that my workplace has very secure parking but if a workplace is big enough (A hospital in Birmingham in this case) then it should be able to provide a fob access room with a camera on the door.

The problem is that it's not always enough really. A former employer of mine had a car park which was restricted by fob access, and inside that car park a bike 'cage' which was also locked and restricted by fob access.

Someone came in one evening got into the restricted car park, cut a hole in the bike cage lockup, and made off with a few bikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭whodafunk

I have unfortunately had a bike stolen on me before from a garage so know how this feels. It was around this time of year also - a dark evening. It’s for this reason I now use 2 motorcycle u locks and 1 heavy duty chain to connect up 3 bikes in the shed every night. I know if they really want to take them they will find a way but hoping to make it a lot more difficult.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Same here, my shed is not the most secure in the world but the bikes are triple locked, secured to both shelving and the lawnmower. No single bike can be taken out without removing/cutting all locks, and the door so too narrow to carry it all out en mass. I hope that the time to figure out what you have to cut and then cutting three kryptonites will give the dogs a chance to wake up and hopefully they then wake me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

My bike stolen between 1430 on 5/10/20 & 1900 on 8/10/20 from underground bike shed - Hampton Square, Navan Road, Dublin 7. Guards called, said they'd number stolen from same place last night. :mad::mad::mad:

Black Apollo Transfer, with shimano equipped gears.

Frame no's are FR8119, ISO 4210, HA1628404J & FR00056472 (not sure which to ref. from pictures). Sorry about big pics, dont know how to resize and using free Imageshack account :confused:

tFZ1QW.jpg
    KXOtdA.jpg
    u2MTqk.jpg
    lFx0kP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sflaherty49

Hi neighbour, FionnK86, my bicycle was also stolen from Hampton Square cycle shed very recently, just found out today. Gardai called, gave statement and information on the bicycle.

Teal Kona Dew Deluxe recent photo below:

photos.google[dot]com/share/AF1QipO4ig3MHhrmLVf93tx1_6Uz50Dv0gxaaVgWxlAWoH-5kbkAuScvB6NTFUcl2_pr_A/photo/AF1QipMs5LCVVo0dnp5v-8ZMBK3AT05XHK9GOCedwy00?key=TGVwc1p0VGw3MVRRVEt3Q0RHdXhUemV3bTBDWDBn

Hi neighbour, FionnK86, my bicycle was also stolen from Hampton Square cycle shed very recently, just found out today. Gardai called, gave statement and information on the bicycle.

photos.google[dot]com/share/AF1QipO4ig3MHhrmLVf93tx1_6Uz50Dv0gxaaVgWxlAWoH-5kbkAuScvB6NTFUcl2_pr_A/photo/AF1QipMs5LCVVo0dnp5v-8ZMBK3AT05XHK9GOCedwy00?key=TGVwc1p0VGw3MVRRVEt3Q0RHdXhUemV3bTBDWDBn

Good evening! I'm sorry to hear that, had you been down to shed since Wednesday? See status below, another one of our neighbours had there's stolen on that day. :mad:
    https://twitter.com/SandorDamjan/status/1313643795934842882

I'd the guards out Thursday and they said they know one particular guy selling them for €50 each last few months in town, though it was only Garda Byrnes third time out here in a couple of years.

I moved here in August and never spotted anyone down there but was wondering what security was like. Two lads in hut Thursday night, after I'd called management requesting CCTV. Never seen them before. Olivia from M&C said they'd only provide to Guards.

PM me if you know if there's a residents whatsapp or facebook? I'd requested to join one on FB thursday night, but no reply. I think the area is still nice but this'll get worse over the winter nights so looking for a bit of a showing from the management on what they'll do with it! Nice to hear from you :pac:

Link here: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO4ig3MHhrmLVf93tx1_6Uz50Dv0gxaaVgWxlAWoH-5kbkAuScvB6NTFUcl2_pr_A/photo/AF1QipMs5LCVVo0dnp5v-8ZMBK3AT05XHK9GOCedwy00?key=TGVwc1p0VGw3MVRRVEt3Q0RHdXhUemV3bTBDWDBn

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »

Thanks CramCycle, I've email notifications from DoneDeal & Adverts.ie for bikes in Dublin area set.

With the 3 above I might find something linked but I don't think they're using the public sites are they're too easy to track.

I've another bike in the lock-up that'll I'll be buying a chain for today. ;)

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Thanks CramCycle, I've email notifications from DoneDeal & Adverts.ie for bikes in Dublin area set.

With the 3 above I might find something linked but I don't think they're using the public sites are they're too easy to track.

I've another bike in the lock-up that'll I'll be buying a chain for today. ;)

Try Facebook marketplace, seems to be a go to place for stolen / Dodgy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sflaherty49

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Good evening! I'm sorry to hear that, had you been down to shed since Wednesday? See status below, another one of our neighbours had there's stolen on that day. :mad:

I'd the guards out Thursday and they said they know one particular guy selling them for €50 each last few months in town, though it was only Garda Byrnes third time out here in a couple of years.

I moved here in August and never spotted anyone down there but was wondering what security was like. Two lads in hut Thursday night, after I'd called management requesting CCTV. Never seen them before. Olivia from M&C said they'd only provide to Guards.

PM me if you know if there's a residents whatsapp or facebook? I'd requested to join one on FB thursday night, but no reply. I think the area is still nice but this'll get worse over the winter nights so looking for a bit of a showing from the management on what they'll do with it! Nice to hear from you :pac:

No I hadn't been down in atleast 2 weeks, so it wasn't too helpful when I reported it, atleast I know it was more recent. I'll PM you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

CramCycle wrote: »
    Try Facebook marketplace, seems to be a go to place for stolen / Dodgy stuff.

Yep, I signed up the Dublin Cycling Campaign facebook group, and was then 'suggested' to join some bike buy/ sell marketplace group. Was a bit surprised at the extent of it.

However I would still feel Done Deal and Adverts are the go to sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Bike stolen from outside our apartment last night between 00:00 and 9am. Kryptonite lock cut and discarded. It's a gated property with no real opportunity for hopping walls as it's surrounded by houses or a school. I'm a bit suspicious of some workers who have been in working on a property this week and would have access to the gate code but what can ya do. Absolutely raging. Have reported it stolen with the Gardai and will keep an eye on the facebook pages listed above.

It's a Giant Contend 2 in blue and orange so fairly distinctive.

Edit: Just rang the Gardai and they confirmed at least one other bike was stolen from the same complex last night. Adding weight to my worker/person with gate access theory.

2017_GIANT_CONTEND_2_BLUE_ORANGE.jpg?height=600&quality=80&mode=none&bgcolor=white

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Hopefully the owner hadn't flung it into the canal in a rage after getting a flat or breaking something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Another bike recovered looking for the owner

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1321003065030434817?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

A ghostbike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Thargor wrote: »
    A ghostbike?

Doubt it they're usually just daubed in white paint tyres and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

My Giant Escape 2 City bike was stolen from bike shed in a gated complex. Quite annoyed! Stolen 2 days ago, in the space of an hour! A neighbor's front wheel was also stolen :confused:

Quiet spot with no through roads / walkways, the bike shed isn't even visible from the road. My theory is that it is someone who has the access code chanced their arm, in broad daylight. Picture below, if anyone notices this please let me know! Apart from Adverts, DoneDeal, Gumtree, and FB Marketplace are there any other avenues I should explore / keep an eye out for?

Only got it through the Cycle to Work scheme a few months ago, can't use that now for a few years to replace it!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Roisin Ingle tweeted about a stolen bike today-stolen outside Marino Marino College.

https://twitter.com/roisiningle/status/1322220426026770434?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Eido

More bike thieves in the prowl last night on Home Farm Road in Drumcondra! They scaled a high wall in the back laneway and crowbarred our shed door. Three bikes gone from a bike-mad family. One blue and white racing bike with rare Zannata frame, another red and black Merida road racing bike and a third silver and yellow cyclocross bike. Very upset. Long shot but if anyone saw anything suspicious in Drumcondra between 9pm last night and 8am this morning, please let me know.

532065.jpeg

532131.jpeg

532067.jpeg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hope you don't mind, i edited your post to display the images inline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The following is meant in the right spirit, I hope you get word on these and have a sniff at getting them back - but three high quality bikes....in a shed???

Isn't that what spare bedrooms, hallways, kitchens, and landings are for?? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I edited your pic to remove identifiable bits just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

MojoMaker wrote: »
    The following is meant in the right spirit, I hope you get word on these and have a sniff at getting them back - but three high quality bikes....in a shed???

Isn't that what spare bedrooms, hallways, kitchens, and landings are for?? :pac:

My room where I had my bike is now my office and my OH has moved in which means the bikes are now in the shed.

I have gone to stupid lengths to secure them and still I'm having sleepless nights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My room where I had my bike is now my office and my OH has moved in which means the bikes are now in the shed.

I have gone to stupid lengths to secure them and still I'm having sleepless nights

Hooks for wall in hall/landing or spare room etc etc....

Advertisement