Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing phone - backup and restore

Options
  • 13-09-2020 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

Changing from a Nokia 3 to a Moto G7.

How well does backing up from the Nokia and restoring to the G7 work? Is it seemless or would I lose anything?

Old phone:
    Backup to Google.
    Set up Contacts syncing
    Manually copy media files to PC

New phone:
    Restore from Google
    Sync Contacts
    Manually copy files back from PC

Is that everything I would need to do? Is their a way to "copy" the Nokia onto the Moto in one operation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Changing from a Nokia 3 to a Moto G7.

How well does backing up from the Nokia and restoring to the G7 work? Is it seemless or would I lose anything?

Old phone:
    Backup to Google.
    Set up Contacts syncing
    Manually copy media files to PC

New phone:
    Restore from Google
    Sync Contacts
    Manually copy files back from PC

Is that everything I would need to do? Is their a way to "copy" the Nokia onto the Moto in one operation?

There should be a Motorola Migrate app on your phone. Get it from the app store and install it to your old phone and follow instructions from app on new phone. It should copy everything across.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Perfect. Will give that a go. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Your way over complicating it, when you turn on the new phone it'll ask you do you want to copy from your old phone. Just follow the instructions.
    It's no harm to have your photos backed up to Google photos and the same with your contacts just in case you lose your phone or it breaks.
    When your photos are backed up go to free up space in the Google photos app.
    Back up your what's app to Google drive via the settings menu in the app, that won't restore to the new phone if you don't.

Advertisement