Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About them vegans lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

joe40 wrote: »
    You seem very angry about this. I have said I'm not a vegan, I'm not promoting veganism I'm just saying I understand why they feel compelled to express their opinion. My analogy as regards protesting slavery is sound.If you think something is morally wrong it is understandable that you might feel compelled to express that opinion.

Lol. Did I say you were? However thats even more wording from the plant advocates bible - 'Angry'? no my friend. Just pointing out the bs. Yeah and that slavery analogy is used by certain extremist plant advocates everywhere and yes it's bolox. Not just me saying that btw. But sure whatever you're having yourself...
    Veganism has a serious race problem. Type ‘vegan’ into Google and you won’t need to scroll through many pages to see what I mean. The routine comparisons of animal abuse to the enslavement of Black people shows exactly how little value white members of the vegan community, generally considered a liberal breed, place on Black life. This racism, so casually delivered, is designed to add shock value – to trigger a dietary epiphany. 

https://mediadiversified.org/2015/12/16/veganism-has-a-serious-race-problem/

Whats funny is that on one hand we have some here saying that in general plant advocates are a quiet bunch and never say anything. And then there's others saying its absolutely correct to protest and 'Express' yourself at others percieved moral failings' lol. So which is it? As for the reality - this is seen in death threats to food producers and gob****es in masks standing outside butchers shops intimidating people - so yes those choosing to engage in this type of behaviour deserve every bit of opprobrium they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I think the reason vegans usually talk about it is because it's difficult.

I'm vegetarian and my life is definitely more difficult because of it.

For example, last night. I walked around trying to find some food, and my options were this:

Bread based things from 7/11

Things like crisps

Fries and corn from McDonalds

It's almost like having a disability. I can't just eat "normal" things like everyone else.

If you met me you wouldn't know I'm vegetarian, and I'm not in any way interested in that vegan identity a lot of people follow (kind of a hippyish lifestyle), but I get why people make being vegan a big part of their life, as it's hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Hard to make plausible predictions of the future given the advances in technology and companies like Memphis Meats. It is quite possible for example that "the future" is many of us - many vegans included - eating lab grown meat products.

And I have yet to see anything but the most extreme vegetarian or vegan take any issue ethically with lab grown meat. The more extreme say it is still ethically wrong because the original DNA sample used was taken without the animals consent. But that parses as nonsense for the majority of veggies and vegans I have heard reply to it.

Its welcome and rare to see someone on here separating the veggies/vegans from the extremists. They don't all hold such ridiculous beliefs, same can be said for many things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ridiculous post of the week and its only Wednesday, fair play.

the vast majority of vegans are woman, that's a fact or have I been misinformed?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    the vast majority of vegans are woman, that's a fact or have I been misinformed?

No idea. That's not the part I had an issue with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

gozunda wrote: »
    Lol. Did I say you were? However thats even more wording from the plant advocates bible - 'Angry'? no my friend. Just pointing out the bs. Yeah and that slavery analogy is used by extremist plant advocates everywhere and yes it's bolox. Not just me saying that btw. But sure whatever you're having yourself...

https://mediadiversified.org/2015/12/16/veganism-has-a-serious-race-problem/

Whats funny is that on one hand we have some here saying that plant advocates are a quiet bunch and never say anything. And then there's others saying its absolutely correct to protest and 'Express' yourself at others percieved moral failings' lol. So which is it? As for the reality - this is seen in death threats to food producers and gob****es in masks standing outside butchers shops intimidating people - so yes they deserve every bit of opprobrium they get.

You are twisting what I said. I am not comparing eating meat to slavery, that is obviously nonsense and any hardcore vegans making that argument are talking nonsense and diminishing human lives. I fully agree with that.

I haven't even heard those arguments before, since I haven't given veganism, for or against that much thought.

I was simply replying to the notion of why can't people just do their own thing and leave others alone. That does not apply if you think an action is morally wrong.
    Another analogy then, if someone believes abortion is morally wrong, akin to murder, I can understand why they would find the argument that it should not affect you as not acceptable.
    Like veganism I don't agree with them but can see their motivation. And also like veganism people that push their protests too far to include death threats and intimidation I would totally condemn.
    I hope that clarifies my position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

Ah, the twice monthly 'Let's bash vegans thread'. What is the obsession some of you have with vegans? Do you sit there munching your burger and suddenly decide to start a vegan bash thread? I don't support hunting, but I don't start 'All hunters are a load of wan***s threads'

And no, I'm not vegan, but give it a rest, ffs.

You are twisting what I said. I am not comparing eating meat to slavery, that is obviously nonsense and any hardcore vegans making that argument are talking nonsense and diminishing human lives. I fully agree with that.I haven't even heard those arguments before, since I haven't given veganism, for or against that much thought.
    I was simply replying to the notion of why can't people just do their own thing and leave others alone. That does not apply if you think an action is morally wrong. Another analogy then, if someone believes abortion is morally wrong, akin to murder, I can understand why they would find the argument that it should not affect you as not acceptable. Like veganism I don't agree with them but can see their motivation. And also like veganism people that push their protests too far to include death threats and intimidation I would totally condemn.I hope that clarifies my position.

Funnily enough that and the 'dog though' analogy are some of standard bedrock mantra of plant advocacy 101. Don't believe me? Check it our for yourself. Christ you are not seriously bringing in abortion and murder!. How about the holocaust and nuclear waste for few more ridiculous analogies? There's plenty I believe is 'morally' wrong. Just because someone believes something is 'wrong' doesn't means that it is wrong btw.

And I agree it certainly doesn't mean you can go out and intimidate others because of your beliefs up to and including death threats against those who dont agree with you. I hope that clarifies everything.

silverharp wrote: »

There's a joke here about meat and two veg somewhere, but I can't figure it out..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I don't see how anyone can argue killing animals is "not wrong". 1) The animal doesn't want to die 2) You are causing it tremendous suffering and of course death. If you've ever seen an animal when it thinks it's going to be killed, you know how desperate and scared it is.

BUT

That's not to say we're not supposed to eat meat. Perhaps we're supposed to be savages, killing things for food, killing each other for power and dominance. If you look at the world, that's what seems to be happening.

So I think something can be "wrong" but also "the way".

I don't judge people who eat meat. We are all on our own journey in life.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough that and the 'dog though' analogy are some of standard bedrock mantra of plant advocacy 101. Don't believe me? Check it our for yourself. Christ you are not seriously bringing in abortion and murder!. How about the holocaust and nuclear waste for few more ridiculous analogies? There's plenty I believe is 'morally' wrong. Just because someone believes something is 'wrong' doesn't means that it is wrong btw.

And I agree it certainly doesn't mean you can go out and intimidate others because of your beliefs up to and including death threats against those who dont agree with you. I hope that clarifies everything.

I think you are wilfully confusing an analogy with a comparison.

So what sort of things to you believe are morally wrong but you are still happy enough if they take place.

I have repeatedly said I don't find eating meat morally wrong. So I am blatantly, unambiguously say that I think people who hold that opinion are wrong, in my view.
    I am simply saying that I understand their opinion and can understand why they may feel strongly about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Is the term "meat eaters" actually correct?.

Seems to me that Carrion eaters would be the more correct term in general...given that most people find the flesh in shops but were not involved in the killing of it.

Pretty much the same as a vulture finding bits of a carcass killed by something else..and they are described as "Carrion eaters".

So maybe its time those endless threads here had their own special section called the "Carrion eaters complaining about Plant eaters forum".

Ah, the twice monthly 'Let's bash vegans thread'. What is the obsession some of you have with vegans? Do you sit there munching your burger and suddenly decide to start a vegan bash thread? I don't support hunting, but I don't start 'All hunters are a load of wan***s threads'
    And no, I'm not vegan, but give it a rest, ffs.

For 'not a vegan' that's a lot of giving out a lot about anyone else. Are others not allowed to comment? Or does freedom of expression only work for select groups?

Not vegan but veg*n for sure ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102684409&postcount=553

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107403902&postcount=7800

For 'not a vegan' that's a lot of giving out a lot about anyone else. Are others not allowed to comment? Or does freedom of expression only work for select groups?

You must have said everything you have to say on it over the various threads, G.

I think you are wilfully confusing an analogy with a comparison.
    So what sort of things to you believe are morally wrong but you are still happy enough if they take place.I have repeatedly said I don't find eating meat morally wrong. So I am blatantly, unambiguously say that I think people who hold that opinion are wrong, in my view.
    I am simply saying that I understand their opinion and can understand why they may feel strongly about it.

You used the term 'analogy btw in your comment. So do not try and use that one thanks. I'm all for people choosing to feel offended and 'feel strongly about about whatever just dont use your 'morality' as an excuse to wave it in other's faces. And btw I dont care what people eat - even where I think they may be deluded or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

You must have said everything you have to say on it over the various threads, G.

I'm convinced there are a few posters on here who are paid to push the farming agenda and criticise vegans at any opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Nope. That's an urban myth tbh. Way more the other way around here. For a bunch that don't eat meat - they are weirdly obsessed with it and spend their time giving out about meat.

How can you say this when every single vegan thread becomes the Gozunda show?

Well thank you ;). But question - Is there an issue with regard to holding the same ****e up to scrutiny Debbles? or should we just shut up because It doesnt suit some? Plenty others have also pointed this out btw. But go ahead make it personal....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Gozzy is not the best advert for eating meat...sounds like the guy has caught mad cow disease at some stage.

How can you say this when every single vegan thread becomes the Gozunda show?

And funny that Thelonious turns up on every single thread to have a go. But not any thoughts about the subject in hand. Whats new lol :D

And more! "triggered" :pac:
    archer22 wrote: »
    Gozzy is not the best advert for eating meat...sounds like the guy has caught mad cow disease at some stage.
    I'm convinced there are a few posters on here who are paid to push the farming agenda and criticise vegans at any opportunity.

Seriously what is it about the more vociferous plant advocates - thay they must always resort to not playing the ball and making it personal? Yer making a show of yourselfs lols!

Lads when you do that you've already lost the argument and any integrity you might have had with discussion about "them vegan lads"

The irony is delicious...

• Advertisement

You used the term 'analogy btw in your comment. So do not try and use that one thanks. I'm all for people choosing to feel offended and 'feel strongly about about whatever just dont use your 'morality' as an excuse to wave it in other's faces. And btw I dont care what people eat - even where I think they may be deluded or whatever.

I know that is the point. I was making an analogy not a direct comparison. And I agree with you I don't care one bit what people eat either.

Well thank you ;). But question - Is there an issue with regard to holding the same ****e up to scrutiny Debbles? or should we just shut up because It doesnt suit some? Plenty others have also pointed this out btw. But go ahead make it personal....

I was simply commenting on the fact that anytime there is even a remote opportunity to poke at veggies/vegans, you are the first one in. Like a fly on sh*te.

You are of course free to comment and hold anything you want up to scrutiny but you must be sick of doing it on this topic. I know most of us are sick of seeing it again and again.

I know that is the point. I was making an analogy not a direct comparison. And I agree with you I don't care one bit what people eat either.

Definition of analogy from the online dictionary

Analogy.
    A comparison between one thing and another, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

And funny that Thelonious turns up on every single thread to have a go. But not any thoughts about the subject in hand. Whats new lol :D

There’s no point in having a discussion if you are involved. Can we not just start a thread for you where you can always be right about absolutely everything and you can edit and tailor every one of your posts till the cows come home?

But go ahead make it personal....

The smiley faces don't hide the passive-aggressive nature of it all, G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

Not vegan but veg*n for sure ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102684409&postcount=553

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107403902&postcount=7800

You do realise there's a difference between vegetarian and vegan, right? Yes, everyone's entitled to their opinion, my objection is to how many anti-vegan threads there are on here.
    And thanks for proving my point, your obsession actually had you scrolling through my posts to find something 'damning', lol. To save you further stalking, I post an awful lot in the Fair City thread. There, I've fessed up, I'm a vegetarian and a Fair City fan, oh, and I like Donald Trump. :D

The smiley faces don't hide the passive-aggressive nature of it all, G.

He’s a massive fan of the eye roller too

I think vegetables should be outlawed. Masculinity is under threat.

You do realise there's a difference between vegetarian and vegan, right? Yes, everyone's entitled to their opinion, my objection is to how many anti-vegan threads there are on here.
    And thanks for proving my point, your obsession actually had you scrolling through my posts to find something 'damning', lol. To save you further stalking, I post an awful lot in the Fair City thread. There, I've fessed up, I'm a vegetarian and a Fair City fan, oh, and I like Donald Trump. :D

I do indeed.

My objection is how many anti-meat threads and comments there are on here.

No I remembered you had posted the exact same thing before :D But there you go ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

_Brian wrote: »
    Have eaten both.
    Horse is so similar to beef hence the horaemeat scandal from few years ago.
    Dog on the other hand was poor quality and not something I’d try again.

In Ireland we have a terribly narrow selection of meats we eat. Go on the continent and they eat a wider variety and more of each animal too.

I know a few people who haave tried dog and not one of them liked it, so it might not just be quality as much as dog just not tasting good in any form.
    A lot of asians don't take to beef either, so I guess it's an acquired taste.

I'm much more carnivorous than most, but when there are foods that satisfy my blood lust, be they vegetable equivalents or grown meat, I'll be first in line to make the switch.

Advertisement