Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Complete nonsense and false advertising yes, but very Irish, as Irish as can be. You'll recall 2009 when the leap card was launched as an 'integrated ticket'. Of course the fares were only actually integrated in 2020 and by that time were alresdy obsolete by international standards as contactless payment with any debit card was being rolled out across the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Just for absolute clarity in this discussion, they're not moving the existing bridge. They're building an additional one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,174 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They are all located in the Liffey Valley amenity area, not suitable for development.

Restoration of Farmleigh Bridge is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

Farmleigh Bridge over the liffey between Waterstown Park and near the Anglers rest is currently undergoing conservation work, but this is just to avoid it falling into the river.

There is no funding to reopen it , and it would be only pedestrian,cycle traffic if it did. But it is placed at the bottom of steep valley sides on both ends (hence why the M50 Westlink bridge looms over it )

If it reopened it would link Palmerstown and Farmleigh/Phoenix Park/Castletown by cycle,foot but with steep climbs at both ends ( park up and walk down into Waterstown park if you want to see what I mean )

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

The bus lane alongside Krispy Kreme and McDonalds drive thru in Blanch towards Blakestown must have the greatest number of bus lane rule offenders in Ireland! It is constantly packed with cars. They also make it difficult by rarely yielding for motorists who try to observe the bus lane rules to change into the correct left turn or straight lane where the bus lane ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Champagne Sally

This is great LXFlyer, would you have a timescale in mind (albeit a guesstimate) of when you expect these to roll out?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Right now, no.

The ongoing driver shortage is just constantly pushing everything back, as each phase needs a significant amount of new drivers which the companies don’t appear to have yet.

Any dates would be meaningless given that constraint.

But they should happen in the order listed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭cgcsb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Some of the bus stops for this have now been installed, they're a quick-build style similar to the ones installed on Carysfort Avenue in Blackrock.

Fine I guess for the trial, but hopefully if this route is successful and becomes a permanent feature, they will come back and install some proper bus stops. There is plenty of space on Chesterfield Ave, with the massive hatched area running down the middle of the road (as can be seen in the photo).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭rameire

I wonder when they will install the traffic lights, warning bollards, flashing amber lights and yield signs for the cyclists?

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Some utterly bizarre stop announcements on the G2. St Mark's on the Fonthill Road announced as "Kennelsfort Road" and the stop outside Ronanstown Garda Station as simply "Lucan". Who decides these?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Not the first time files and stops were mismatched on the system – a Whitehall area of the 16 comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Sorry, but that design is atrocious. If a bus lines up the centre alighting door with the platform, it will leave the front boarding door some metres forward of the platform, beyond the queue of intending passengers. Conversely, if the bus lines up the front door with the platform, those disembarking from the centre doors are stepping down into the cycle lane with the potential for a collision.

Whoever designed that hasn't got a clue.

Go-ahead seem pretty lax for their stop announcements too, especially when it comes to updating them. A stop on the N11 just after the Mount Merrion Avenue junction (Sycamore Crescent) was moved 100m north, to be opposite the petrol station there, with a new name of Greenfield Road. This happened back in 2019, around when Go-ahead took over the 17 if I recall.

*To this day*, the stop announcements on the 17 still say Sycamore Crescent, whereas Dublin Bus updated their stop announcements within a couple of weeks of the stop moving!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

The interior displays on GAI buses still say "Via X"

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

The NTA has full control over that stuff on Go Ahead buses. Which is why there have been loads of anomalies and errors on the announcements and interior displays since 2018. Attention to detail isn't their thing.

Also, it always irked me that when a Go Ahead bus isn't in service, it just says "Not in Service" on the front. No "Sorry" or "Entering Service". Seemed like a retrograde choice of words, considering how customer focused DB became in recent years. Other strange anomalies include a "Bus Full" display on Go Ahead buses, but Dublin Buses have no option for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

I remember in July 2018, the talk around the office was that there was no need to say "sorry" that the bus is not in service. That it wouldn't be the way that Go-Ahead operated in the Brighton area.

As for the via x thing. They looked at that and said it was difficult to implement through the software they had available. While the NTA do not have an eye for detail, GAI and themselves are quick to point the finger at the other party when something is not up scratch. Same as DB.

Post edited by Fizzy Duck on

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Any news on the next lot of changes?

• Advertisement

The "via X" thing is a remnant of the way DB format the data, which must have been hardcoded into the Dublin AVL system, yet they decided to probably drop it. To be perfectly honest I found it annoying that it doesn't drop or advance the via point as the bus progresses along the route, something readily available in for example the Polish R&G system (it handles either two destination text changes or two destination texts under one destination code, I can never remember which), which, in my closest example, led to the Blanch-bound 17A announcing they're via Beaumont Hospital while plying along Cappagh Road, the hospital a good 30-40 minutes behind it.

That is something that I've noticed, the system DB uses seems quite restrictive in what text is used. In other countries, the "via" on the front would even scroll to show multiple points along the route or if it was a long place name it would scroll the text rather than use shorthand/wrap the text so it replaced the via (i.e. "Sandyford Indstrial Est." on the 11).

Currently waiting at stop 2010 for a bus, and noticed the timetable was updated and has a print date of August 2023. Only thing is it's a Dublin Bus timetable, even though the stop is served by the 17? It previously had a TFI timetable. Could be in advance of the S6 starting, but weird none the less given itll need to be replaced anyways when it does!

And as I spotted this, a DB training bus with a number of staff on it also passed by and turned down Mount Merrion Ave, following the 17/S6 routing (However it's more likely heading down to Dun Laoghaire, given the S6 will still have go-ahead operating it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

Probably not the place for it, but my local bus stop has a printed timetable on it, but it's showing the departures from the opposite terminus. I have reported it to the relevant department but it hasn't been changed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The L25 will be operated by Dublin Bus. If it's going to Dún Laoghaire within the last half an hour.

It might be doing training for that route this evening.

Yeah that's what I figured it was doing, surprised it's a training school bus that they're using for it though

Would you look at that, DB losing track of what they're supposed to put up at stops...

Then again, I still remember Clare Hall-bound stops near Northside S.C. showing the Jobstown departures of the 27s even though there was an Eden Quay mid-route print available and in fact used at other stops.

Hanover Displays does have a scrolling capability, one used far more extensively in the UK (although I think BE have gone through some scrolling via points on their Cork city services), but one that was ignored in Dublin... perhaps it's actually for the better, as the font forced by the scrolling function is rather ugly (out of line upper- and lower-case letters).

Generally speaking I don't approve of any sort of scrolling on front destination displays though, as it makes the information harder to convey and obtain. About the only scrolling I accept is a street listing on side scrolls, or stations in the case of trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Aesys displays are clearer and look better than Hannover imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Sorry for dragging this off topic but is there a problem with bell rings on the dual door buses not being "registered" with drivers? In particular the SG class buses.

In the part two weeks . Despite me pressing well in advance of my stop and the "stopping" sign displaying , drivers are flying past the stop if there's noone at it. I've seen it happen with other people ?

Does anyone know if there's an indicator for drivers to tell them to stop or is it a case of them just hearing the bell ring ? This is the SG class buses. Have never had this issue on the new PA class buses or the triaxle buses (for obvious reasons)

Advertisement