Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M103 passed in Canada

• 24-03-2017 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

http://globalnews.ca/news/3330776/anti-islamophobia-motion-m-103-approved/
    Text of the Motion
    That, in the opinion of the House, the government should: (a) recognize the need to quell the increasing public climate of hate and fear; (b) condemn Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination and take note of House of Commons’ petition e-411 and the issues raised by it; and (c) request that the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage undertake a study on how the government could (i) develop a whole-of-government approach to reducing or eliminating systemic racism and religious discrimination including Islamophobia, in Canada, while ensuring a community-centered focus with a holistic response through evidence-based policy-making, (ii) collect data to contextualize hate crime reports and to conduct needs assessments for impacted communities, and that the Committee should present its findings and recommendations to the House no later than 240 calendar days from the adoption of this motion, provided that in its report, the Committee should make recommendations that the government may use to better reflect the enshrined rights and freedoms in the Constitution Acts, including the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Full text of the motion taken from http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parliamentarians/en/members/Iqra-Khalid(88849)/Motions

Political and public discord and debate has been struck a massive blow in Canada today, saddening to see it come to this but one can only hope this will not become the new norm!

(apologies to mods if this has been mentioned already, couldn't spot it anywhere!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Depp wrote: »
    (apologies to mods if this has been mentioned already, couldn't spot it anywhere!)

Funny that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Funny that...

is there another thread for it that I missed? or are you trying to be funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,669 ✭✭✭buried

Fooking hell, thought the thread title was another Malaysian plane incident at first

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

is there another thread for it that I missed? or are you trying to be funny?

As hard and successfully as you're trying to be edgy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,271 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

So it's sad that people can't be openly racist? Would you be as up in arms about this is the motion was to stop people engaging in homophobia? Or blatant sexism? Or abusing members of a different religion? Or is it only stifling free speech because it condemns Islamophobia?

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    So it's sad that people can't be openly racist? Would you be as up in arms about this is the motion was to stop people engaging in homophobia? Or blatant sexism? Or abusing members of a different religion? Or is it only stifling free speech because it condemns Islamophobia?

So any criticism of islam as a theology, be it from from outside the faith or indeed from moderate muslims themselves who disagree with certain tenets of the faith as we're thankfully beginning to see more and more is openly racist and Islamophobic? Because thats what this bill stops...not just the racists. I'm all for trying to stop racism as I would hope anyone would be but no religion or theology should be off limits to criticism.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So it's sad that people can't be openly racist? Would you be as up in arms about this is the motion was to stop people engaging in homophobia? Or blatant sexism?
    I would. We either have free speech or we don't. We can't nor shouldn't cherry pick the subjects that are allowed to be free. A society that seeks to force such things underground is playing a potentially dangerous game. Better to shine a light on any subject as they come along.

Of course we in Ireland don't have free speech the way it is enshrined in the US constitution(a fact lost on too many Irish people who use the term), but if a society holds that as a concept, they must face the rough with the smooth. Indeed that's how so many previous societal failings have been questioned and reduced. Without the ability to state how and why [insert ism/politic/attitude here] is wrong openly, then that become more difficult. Try decrying homophobia, sexism, racism or whatever ism you're having yourself in a society that holds such ideas as somehow "sacred" and not free to question.

Plus, this Canadian law doesn't as far as I can see have much in the way of legal teeth. It just means the parliament is circumscribed from such speech as they see it. Which is an issue in of itself.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Dr Martin

So when is the law prohibiting Christianphobia being brought in?

I find it curious when 'liberals' want to crack down on free speech. Criticizing Islam is no more racist than criticizing Catholicism because (a) Islam is not a race and (b) there's plenty to criticize.

So if I point out Muhammad was pedo am I being hateful?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Islamophobia
    ɪzˌlaməˈfəʊbɪə/
    noun
    noun: Islamophobia
    1. dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force.

Islamophobia is possibly the most pernicious term of this generation. It directly aims to restrict criticism of Islam by automatically and inextricably linking criticism of Islam to criticism of Muslims. Intellectual dishonesty combined with fallacious arguments at its finest. Christopher Hitchens and others called this crap decades ago, and yet here we still are thanks to the true snowflake generation, the liberal apologists.

So any criticism of islam as a theology, be it from from outside the faith or indeed from moderate muslims themselves who disagree with certain tenets of the faith is openly racist and Islamophobic? Because thats what this bill stops...not just the racists. I'm all for trying to stop racism as I would hope anyone would be but no religion or theology should be off limits to criticism.

Really? Because that's not what it says in the link you provided above. What it actually says is that M103 is
    a non-biding motion that calls on the government to “condemn Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination”

To me that reads that any racism or religious discrimination, not just anything aimed at Islam, should be condemned by the government. Not that that's a bad thing, all racism and religious discrimination is wrong, but criticising a religion isn't the same as discriminating against it. It also says that the motion is non-binding, so the government could ignore it if they wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Facebook Canada that will keep rumor spreaders quite we should bring this Law into Eire/Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Dr Martin

Anyone who supports this measure has no right to complain if they are accused of antisemitism for condemning Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

The guy sounds like a f*ckin d*ck.

Text of the Motion
    That, in the opinion of the House, the government should: (a) recognize the need to quell the increasing public climate of hate and fear; (b) condemn Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination and take note of House of Commons’ petition e-411 and the issues raised by it; and (c) request that the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage undertake a study on how the government could (i) develop a whole-of-government approach to reducing or eliminating systemic racism and religious discrimination including Islamophobia, in Canada, while ensuring a community-centered focus with a holistic response through evidence-based policy-making, (ii) collect data to contextualize hate crime reports and to conduct needs assessments for impacted communities, and that the Committee should present its findings and recommendations to the House no later than 240 calendar days from the adoption of this motion, provided that in its report, the Committee should make recommendations that the government may use to better reflect the enshrined rights and freedoms in the Constitution Acts, including the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Full text of the motion taken from http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parliamentarians/en/members/Iqra-Khalid(88849)/Motions
    Really? Because that's not what it says in the link you provided above. What it actually says is that M103 is

To me that reads that any racism or religious discrimination, not just anything aimed at Islam, should be condemned by the government. Not that that's a bad thing, all racism and religious discrimination is wrong, but criticising a religion isn't the same as discriminating against it. It also says that the motion is non-binding, so the government could ignore it if they wanted to.

Its the wording that is problematic to me, it is far too vague and by the textbook definition of ''islamaphobia'' criticism of the faith is ''discriminating'' against it. This is too murky a subject to be ruled on outright until all terms involved are cleared up and properly defined and while the motion may be non-binding this is a worrying first step down a slippery slope. While the bill was most likely written in good faith its badly and vaguely written. We're on the verge of censorship with this and its a dangerous way for a society to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

tigger123 wrote: »

Was thinking exact same thing. Pretty much a Katie Hopkins wannabe.

Dr Martin wrote: »
    Anyone who supports this measure has no right to complain if they are accused of antisemitism for condemning Israel.

You can condemn the Israeli government for their actions but it doesn't necessarily make it anti-Semitic just because they all happen to be Jewish. Condemning the Irish government for something wouldn't automatically make you anti-Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

You can condemn the Israeli government for their actions but it doesn't necessarily make it anti-Semitic just because they all happen to be Jewish. Condemning the Irish government for something wouldn't automatically make you anti-Catholic.

The Irish government is totally comprised of Catholics?

Ireland is a secular state, Israel is not, you're drawing false equivalencies here

tigger123 wrote: »
    Was thinking exact same thing. Pretty much a Katie Hopkins wannabe.

Oh great, ad hominem attacks when someone says something you disagree with! care to argue any of the points made maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Dr Martin wrote: »

Canada also has that law right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Oh great, ad hominem attacks when someone says something you disagree with! care to argue any of the points made maybe?

The guy sounds like a little ****-stirrer - fact.

The guy sounds like a little ****-stirrer - fact.

Dismissing someone based on ''what they sound like'' while ignoring their points and refusing to argue is ad-hominem - fact

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Because thats what this bill stops...
    While the bill was most likely written in good faith ...

It's not a bill, it's a motion.

It's a non-binding resolution, not a law. It's not going to become a law.

osarusan wrote: »
    It's not a bill, it's a motion.

It's a non-binding resolution, not a law. It's not going to become a law.

does that make it right that we have parliament in a modern western country discussing moves like this? apologies for getting the terminology wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I agree with you but Israel is officially a jewish state. So there are times when people are actually being antisemitic in criticising it. Most of the time they're not though. It's actions do quite often lend to criticism.

From the link the OP put up.
    Canada’s parliament has approved M-103, a non-biding motion that calls on the government to “condemn Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination,” by a margin of 201-91.

So this outrage is about a non binding resolution about religious discrimination and racism.

Grayson wrote: »
    From the link the OP put up.

So this outrage is about a non binding resolution about religious discrimination and racism.

no the outrage is due to its wording it and use of the term Islamophobia in such a vague manner sets a dangerous precedent in terms of restriction of free speech. binding or non-binding this was still discussed and voted in favor of in the parliament of a modern country which is unacceptable. Free speech is the most basic of human rights and any modern government shouldn't even be discussing the censorship of any words or ideas.

no the outrage is due to its wording it and use of the term Islamophobia in such a vague manner sets a dangerous precedent in terms of restriction of free speech. binding or non-binding this was still discussed and voted in favor of in the parliament of a modern country which is unacceptable. Free speech is the most basic of human rights and any modern government shouldn't even be discussing the censorship of any words or ideas.

This isn't a law. It's a group of people saying that they believe Islamophobia is bad. And it's not a law. This doesn't affect anyone.

I have to agree though, it's a terrible sign for democracy when a duly elected government debates stuff.

Grayson wrote: »
    This isn't a law. It's a group of people saying that they believe Islamophobia is bad. And it's not a law. This doesn't affect anyone.

I have to agree though, it's a terrible sign for democracy when a duly elected government debates stuff.

I am well aware it is not a law, however, its aim, taken directly from the text is calling the government to; ''(i) develop a whole-of-government approach to reducing or eliminating systemic racism and religious discrimination including Islamophobia, in Canada'' by the current definition of Islamophobia a muslim reformist, such as Ayaan Hirsi Ali could be branded a criminal under a law against Islamophobia. Again, I am aware this is a motion not a law but it is designed to encourage the parliament to come up with one. and when the government of a modern country debates laws that could stifle free speech its most certainly bad for democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The Canadians I know are actually quite happy with it and/or don't care because racial tensions typically aren't much of an issue over there, which might come as a surprise to the alt-right Irish lad in the video.

Advertisement