Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

There's a rat in the kitchen what am I gonna do?

• 21-03-2017 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

Well more specifically he was in the bathroom and bedroom but since the walls don't go all the way to the ceilings in Indian houses he was more than likely in the kitchen and living room too.

So advice please. Do I leave India and go somewhere a little less filthy or do I suck it up and stay?

Any tips on trying to keep the feckers out when there are holes in your roof and walls?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Marry the rat.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Just hang this outside your door

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Call UB40 ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Firstly, you need to name your new pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Is this an Indian rat or an Irish rat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Burn the house down. It's the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

Snitches get stitches, remind him of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Get yourself 4 pet turtles and some green ooze..

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Is this an Indian rat or an Irish rat?

A siberian hamster?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Are you anyway near Rajasthan, you could take it to the rat temple there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1d/2c/2a/1d2c2adab1de2062aa51de4608724dac.jpg

home-made rat trap.

Get a bin or deep bucket, run a piece of heavy wire (like a clothes hanger) across the middle of it through two holes drilled near the top. That wire also runs through a cylinder (like a plastic bottle with holes in the top and bottom). The cylinder spins pretty easily on the wire under any kind of pressure.

You coat the cylinder with some tasty rat treat, and put enough water into the bin to drown a rat. You also give the rat some way of getting to the top of the bin.

Rat gets to top of bin, tries to get treat, puts weight on cylinder which then spins, falls into bin, drowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Witchie wrote: »
    Well more specifically he was in the bathroom and bedroom but since the walls don't go all the way to the ceilings in Indian houses he was more than likely in the kitchen and living room too.

So advice please. Do I leave India and go somewhere a little less filthy or do I suck it up and stay?

Any tips on trying to keep the feckers out when there are holes in your roof and walls?

What a panic.. Traps are good. and keep food and dishes closed in. Rats are only critters.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Get the loan of a cat for a week or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Witchie wrote: »

Oh please, I live in Belfast (a well known utopia of cleanliness and hygiene) and I had a rat in my kitchen. We laid out four trays of rat bait to kill the little fvcker and he ate all of them. Scarfed the lot down and still lived. We ended up calling him "Ratsputin".

Anyway, yeah. You could try bait, you could try hitting it with a big stick. Fact is, they usually find a way in regardless. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Advocating extreme cruelty will not be tolerated. There are very humane ways of getting rid of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

If cruelty is not allowed then send the rat a strongly worded letter asking him to either leave or start paying rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Winterlong wrote: »
    If cruelty is not allowed then send the rat a strongly worded letter asking him to either leave or start paying rent.

I just woke my cat with a snort of laughter.

winston_churchill_hat_raise_Fotor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Good advice. Should send them running quick smart.
    beertons wrote: »
    Get the loan of a cat for a week or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oh please, I live in Belfast (a well known utopia of cleanliness and hygiene) and I had a rat in my kitchen. We laid out four trays of rat bait to kill the little fvcker and he ate all of them. Scarfed the lot down and still lived. We ended up calling him "Ratsputin".

Anyway, yeah. You could try bait, you could try hitting it with a big stick. Fact is, they usually find a way in regardless. Good luck!

Poison. they go away and die a horrible death and sometimes stink the place out.. traps; you know they are dead then and it is fast.

I once had a large rat in the roof in one cottage. Used to come in through where i had pulled the rotten dresser out and steal food from the deaf cat.

I changed things round and left my young cat in that room... Around 2 am I was woken by thuds and screams....carefully opened the door with a prayer.... there was my young cat, shaking head to foot and on the bloodstained ground a huge, huge dead rat.

Took it outside on the shovel and took the cat to bed with me with a tin of tuna...

All the other rats? Ran off up the drive waving a white flag ..;)

witchie. face the rat situation! Get a trap and make sure all the food and dishes cannot be touched and get a lot of bleach.

OK?
    OK!

• Advertisement

Make friends with the little dude. Henrietta the rat. Or Harold.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Make friends with the little dude. Henrietta the rat. Or Harold.

:)

Yes, good advice :). I never used to like spiders but I found if I gave them a name and said hello to them that they didn't bother me as much. I don't mind them now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Burn the house down as you run a huge risk of weils disease which can kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

You're gonna fix that rat that's what ya gonna do !

Burn the house down as you run a huge risk of weils disease which can kill.

Nah, drinking a can of coke sorts that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Nah, drinking a can of coke sorts that out.

This is no time to be a funny man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Find out if he cooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Are you anyway near Rajasthan, you could take it to the rat temple there.

Oh jesus the memories of that place :(
    I was proper disturbed after it.

• Advertisement

This is no time to be a funny man.

It's not a joke, a home prevention of Wiels is drinking a can of coke :D

Advertisement