Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help deciphering name please

Options
  • 05-01-2015 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Could anyone hazzard a guess at the child's name in the attached photo of a baptism record in a register

Parents are David Burns and Catherine Donohue, sponsors Thomas Burns & Mary Colthurst.

Thank you in advance

30j1vnb.jpg

ibxmb7.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Looks like Alan to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I thought Alan myself at first also but in 1831 Alan would have been an unusual name, especially in a rural area. But the little 'o' high up at the end of the name (similar to the small d high at the end of David) makes me think it's an abbreviation of some kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I saw that 'd' and thought it might have been an error as it is less clear than the other 'diminutive' d's. If it is an abbreviation it could suggest Alexander? What are the naming patterns like in the family? Any consistancy? Any other names beginning with A?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nan. Final answer. Lock it in.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I would have said it begins with N.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Yep, Nano ie Honora

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I would be surprised to see a nickname variant in a baptism register, so I don't think it is Nan or Nano. Abbreviated forms of names, on the other hand, are common enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

It looks like Alan at first glance, but looking closer I think it is an "N". If you look at some of the other entries, you may find similar characters to help you decipher it. also, if you know whether it is a boy or girl, and what nationality or religion, you could search for names beginning with either. From what I can see, abbreviations are being used in the entries

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

I would be surprised to see a nickname variant in a baptism register, so I don't think it is Nan or Nano. Abbreviated forms of names, on the other hand, are common enough.

Nano would be quite common in Baptism registers in Cork and Kerry, at least.

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/search.jsp?namefm=nano&namel=&location=&yyfrom=&yyto=&submit=Search

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

As promised: I am surprised!

• Advertisement

I thought Nano

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

After dismissing my first thought that it was Alan I had settled on Nano myself so it's good that others agree.

Naming patterns don't help here because it's the first generation back in the family line, starting in 1787, so no previous family details.

Advertisement