Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

Perry. Nothing wrong with that until you realise it's short for Peregrine Falcon!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Cork2015!

Perry. Nothing wrong with that until you realise it's short for Peregrine Falcon!

I knew a Perry in school...... but the poor girls full name was Perpetua:(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Dunno if it's been posted but some d*ckheads in Australia named their daughter KVIIIlyn.

KVIIIlyn = K(roman numeral for 8)lyn = K8lyn = Kaitlyn.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/unique-baby-name-spellings_uk_575182dae4b040e3e8197e56
    “I’ve always loved the name Kaitlyn but hated how popular it was,” the mother said.

“So when I found out I was having a girl, my husband suggested we replace the ‘ait’ with the Roman numeral symbol for eight!

“Now our daughter is truly unique.”

I know a girl of 14 called Angel.

It would be an alright name, if she didn't have the sort of bad-mannered, bad-tempered attitude and expression that makes you think she's in urgent need of an exorcism.

Still, hopefully she'll grow out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Dermot.
    Its a grand name, but there was a Dermot in our class who had the surname McDermot. That's just silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Winterlong wrote: »
    Dermot.
    Its a grand name, but there was a Dermot in our class who had the surname McDermot. That's just silly.

I was talking to him the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Witchie wrote: »
    I was talking to him the other day.

Great lad for giving dead arms.

I remember once going through the Central Statistics Office's spreadsheet for popular Irish names, with some interesting results
    Gobnait appears to have left the radar entirely, with no registrations over the ten-year period.

There were, however, 13 girls named Jewel, three named Letitia, and 90 girls named Magdalen, which is mildly ominous. There were 71 Princesses, as against seven 'Queen's (all girls, thankfully), nine 'Tallulah's, and three lucky girls were named Success! (sans exclamation mark)

Continuing the regal theme amongst the boys, we had 7 Kings and 61 Princes. Bible references also abounded, with and 71 'Cain's and 48 'Abel's, although we are not told how many were brothers. In the morto stakes, there were seven little boys named Armani, three named Chesney, 22 named Axel. There were 39 Divines and three Blessings. encouragingly, there were also 56 'Byron's, indicating that we really are quite a literary bunch.

Winterlong wrote: »
    Dermot.

I know two different Dermot McDermotts
    And one Manus McManus

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

not that there is anything wrong with the name but overheard a woman in a shop call her two boys Michael and Mickey Junior

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

gercoral wrote: »
    not that there is anything wrong with the name but overheard a woman in a shop call her two boys Michael and Mickey Junior

Could be cousins?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

Could be cousins?

nope local kids..i know them to see and they are defo brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭George White

Could be cousins?

Jimmy Savile's mother named her sons after each other's middle names, IIRC>

• Registered Users Posts: 21,971 ✭✭✭✭Esel

gercoral wrote: »
    John and Jack are different names now. Why not Michael and Mickey... :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Esel wrote: »
    John and Jack are different names now. Why not Michael and Mickey... :rolleyes:

*Edit* Went way over my head

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bringupthebook

Heard a kid called Garmin the other day. I couldn't get that give a give a Garmin song out of my head since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Tribly. 50 something year old woman on Tipping Point the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Pre school friends birthday today, a Skylar, Dantey and Linkin who were boys and a Polly-Mai and a Daisy-Rain who were girls. Honestly I heard others I'm not going to try to spell. My son is called Conor, my daughter Emily. Plain amongst all the colourful names.

I also want to add, the party mammy was doing up little party bags and left out -Mai part. She was quickly corrected but spelt Mai as May. Little girls Mammy nearly had a foal and so got a new party bag with proper name as well as the -.

Oldest at the party was 3 and couldn't read their name but seriously. I'll be calling their names out in secondary school, god help me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Just heard this from a work colleague,

Her neighbours daughter has just had her second baby.

Baby one is called Maci , baby two is called Remi.Mum is called "NIKITA".

I didn't ask if the kids were boys or girls.

Where do I collect my prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Just heard this from a work colleague,

Her neighbours daughter has just had her second baby.

Baby one is called Maci , baby two is called Remi.Mum is called "NIKITA".

I didn't ask if the kids were boys or girls.

Where do I collect my prize?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

I put Philip down on the invite for my 2yr olds creche mates invite. On the rsvp, the mam 'corrected' the spelling to Filup.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭deex

I heard this morning that the actress who played Kelly (the chav) in Misfits did a year in jail for racially-aggravated assault and I went onto her Wikipedia page to check if it was true or not.

This is what I see:

"In April 2016 it was announced via Twitter that she'd given birth to a girl ReenieRae."

ReenieRae. Not even so much as a hyphen or a space to break it up a bit!! Definitely the worst name I've ever heard.

(Also, yes, she is a racist thug.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

Is it true in Iceland they have a list of names that people can choose from which is done to uphold Icelandic culture or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't like when girls are named after their father - Thomasina, Nigella, Denise etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Lux23 wrote: »
    I don't like when girls are named after their father - Thomasina, Nigella, Denise etc.

I worked with a Thomasina years ago, she shortened it to Tom - I don't blame her!

Denise and Denephew are grand names :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

BabyE wrote: »
    Is it true in Iceland they have a list of names that people can choose from which is done to uphold Icelandic culture or something?

Several other European countries as well, for example Denmark, Sweden, Hungary, Portugal etc. Details can be read on wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_law

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Saw a kid on "Child Genius" last night on Channel 4 called Mog.

He is an absolute pain in the arse too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭ Skylar Tender Shoemaker

Heard of a young boy called Nixon this week. :pac:

BabyE wrote: »
    I think part of the justification for that rule is the patronymic custom (the custom of taking your fathers name as your surname).

So if you're Paddy, son of Anders Magnusson, your name will be Paddy Andersson.

I think the rule is designed to stop people taking the piss, although those nordic societies are usually too straightlaced to take the piss anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    Pre school friends birthday today, a Skylar, Dantey and Linkin who were boys and a Polly-Mai and a Daisy-Rain who were girls. Honestly I heard others I'm not going to try to spell. My son is called Conor, my daughter Emily. Plain amongst all the colourful names.

I also want to add, the party mammy was doing up little party bags and left out -Mai part. She was quickly corrected but spelt Mai as May. Little girls Mammy nearly had a foal and so got a new party bag with proper name as well as the -.

Oldest at the party was 3 and couldn't read their name but seriously. I'll be calling their names out in secondary school, god help me!

This really irritates me. If you choose to put your own creative spin on a standard name, don't be p*ssed off when people automatically assume it's spelled the standard way. These kinds of mammys are my worst nightmare.

There are 3 common standard variations of my name & I don't correct people when they use the wrong one, in Starbucks etc & in those kinds of situations. It makes zero difference because it sounds the same when it's said aloud anyway.

I have a friend called Aishling & she goes mental when people leave out the H. She will correct them & expect a new cup or whatever.

You reminded me of a story my parents told me from when I was at a swimming competition when I was younger. Parents had to register their kids for each race. My dad was behind a mam registering her daughter. The registrar wrote down the child's name, and next thing the mammy goes 'No, we actually spell Sarah with a j'. The registrar, my dad and other onlookers were looking at her stupid wondering where the hell a j fit into Sarah :o

Advertisement