Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Uber

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Spook_ie wrote: »
    If you use any kind of meter instead of agreeing a fare in advance, which is what n97 and others keep telling me that Uber etc. does then you are defacto operating with an uncalibrated taximeter, whether that uses GPS positioning or a mechanical measure.
    The high court of england and wales has held that Uber's meter is not a taximeter. I know how much you respect court decisions on these matters.

Yet you said

Flip flop your position much?

I am confused on the point you're trying to make here? "Flip flop much"?
    As I said it is a way that hackney drivers worked against the actual rules, as I would expect Ridesharing drivers to also do, either would get reported by me and hopefully prosecuted by the NTA and Gardai
    Yeah, I'd report them too as I have taxis who refuse to fare unreasonably. It's not relevant to the argument! My point stands.
    You mean commercial insurance then?
    We'll it's hardly going to be charitable insurance. Yes, it would be specific insurance to cover ridesharing like they have in other countries that allow it.
    Possibly, there are many similarities between the vehicle recommendations for taxis and hackneys, but luggage size is one that hackney to taxi would fall foul of, also the legal requirements would be different too

Are you saying that taxing is hackenying but for the false distinctions the legislation makes?
    Again with the regulation by a profit driven company.:eek:
    Virtually everything else in your life is regulated by a profit-driven company to one extent or another. I drive a car that is 171 so no NCT yet, the car was checked by VW and the garage before the sold it. They are profit-driven should I bring it in to be checked by someone in the NTA for me to feel safe?
    I actually think that if ride-share were allowed to fluctuate prices then why not taxis?

I thought ridesharing was taxiing and taxiing was ridesharing?

They do. Peak times in taxis are higher. It's one the main differences between them in my view. When you hail a taxi, you want to know the rate is set before it stops. When you are going hackney, you negotiate. When you rideshare, you are never hailing them on the street you book with an app which displays the rate on the app and you decide if it works.

Taxiing is not ridesharing. They work differently.
    Again you seem to be thinking that I'm comparing an SPSV Taxi to an SPSV Hackney to a proposed SPSV Ride-sharing, I'm not I'm saying that you don't need another category of SPSV Ride-share fits nicely under the umbrella of SPSV Hackneys, vehicle license, all of your proposals want to lessen the regulations in comparison to hackneys.
    All the arguments for hackneys just want to lessen the requirements for taxis. You have been shown time and time again that risdesharing does not fit neatly into hackneying but you want to draw distinctions between taxis and hackneys but when anyone explains the differences between taxis and hackneys vs rideshare you say that's just less rules than taxiing or hackneying. It's a view that holds no water.

Just to prove that Uber is allowed under current regulations

t987sp.png

Right. I know you know this, but are being deliberately obtuse. I and others sometimes use Uber as shorthand for ridesharing. Uber is not the only one that does it, but is the most famous.

Like I saw hoover when I mean vacuum cleaner or Jacuzzi for a whirlpool bath thing.

We all know Uber operate as a dospatch operator for taxis here. You're not being clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I have a problem with it being used in anything other than a taxi, especially as it is uncalibrated and unsealed, if Uber want in then Uber should (and so far does ) play by the regulations

The big issue with by-the-meter is that you don't know the fare until you get to your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

n97 mini wrote: »
    The big issue with by-the-meter is that you don't know the fare until you get to your destination.
    In which case, the guy goes round the long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In which case, the guy goes round the long way.
    In which case, the uustomer notes the difference between the actual fare and the estimated fare available from the regulator, reports the driver with a copy of the receipt and the driver gets a fine that convinces him that this isn't a good business tactic.

• Advertisement

The regulator has only ever put the maximum fares up. Taxis don't have to charge the maximum, but they all do.
    There was a taxi company over northside that offered a discount on all metered fares at one stage - was it 10% discount?
    rireland wrote: »
    Europe is no place for innovation.

There's a couple of decades of innovation in telecoms, medical devices, tech industries that would disagree with you here.

Uber isn't about innovation. It's about a race to the bottom in terms and conditions.

In which case, the uustomer notes the difference between the actual fare and the estimated fare available from the regulator, reports the driver with a copy of the receipt and the driver gets a fine that convinces him that this isn't a good business tactic.

How many people will actually do that?

How many people will actually do that?

I suppose the more important question is - how many drivers will actually do that knowing that customers can easily complain resulting in a caution, or a reprimand, or a fixed penalty notice?

and... nothing happens even when you do....

reported a guy once where I had multiple other receipts for the exact same route from Airport was x distance in km. though bill was strangely higher on one journey and noticed distance was magically 5km longer when compared to the other receipts.

reported it with the evidence of receipts comparison. got a call from regulator saying it would be followed up but nothing ever happened.

another fine upstanding citizen here.

https://www.thejournal.ie/taxi-driver-dementia-4470891-Jan2019/

glasso wrote: »

reported a guy once where I had multiple other receipts for the exact same route from Airport was x distance in km. though bill was strangely higher on one journey and noticed distance was magically 5km longer when compared to the other receipts.

reported it with the evidence of receipts comparison. got a call from regulator saying it would be followed up but nothing ever happened.

Did you think of giving them a call to check what happened? It may well have been that the driver was disciplined, as happens to a couple of hundred drivers each year.

https://www.thejournal.ie/taxi-complaints-4-4400002-Dec2018/

It's completely untrue to say 'nothing happens' when you complain.

• Advertisement

Did you think of giving them a call to check what happened? It may well have been that the driver was disciplined, as happens to a couple of hundred drivers each year.

https://www.thejournal.ie/taxi-complaints-4-4400002-Dec2018/

It's completely untrue to say 'nothing happens' when you complain.

I did ring back but had not been provided with any reference number or any reference at all of my complaint (just got a phone call not email etc from someone working there who said that they would follow up with me but never did) but got through to a different person so no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

another fine upstanding citizen here.

https://www.thejournal.ie/taxi-driver-dementia-4470891-Jan2019/

AFAIK the complaints forms from the NTA (for the industry) and from TFI ( for the consumer ) supply a reference number by return email when you submit the form.

Good job these women weren't taxi drivers then or I'd be getting worried

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/jail-for-woman-who-stole-co-donegal-pensioner-s-life-savings-1.3968575?mode=amp

I didn't get any reference number by return email. This was about 4 to 5 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I didn't get any reference number by return email. This was about 4 to 5 years ago

Maybe you misspelled your email or it went into your spam folder, but they do supply automated case numbers.
    Dear xxxx

Thank you for the recent feedback/question you submitted via our online contact form. Your submission (Reference Number CA027476) will be reviewed in the next 5 working days and we will respond to you as soon as possible.

Kind Regards
    National Transport Authority

NTA logo
    Web www.nationaltransport.ie

Note: This is an automated email, please do not reply.

©2010 MVLO Register

--
    This email was virus checked by Edge\Guard. Managed by Trilogy Technologies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Uber and Lyft are the ‘biggest contributors’ to San Francisco’s traffic congestion, study says
    Uber and Lyft have long argued that ride-hailing apps have the potential to make cities better by ameliorating traffic and reducing personal car ownership. But there is a growing body of research that suggests the opposite is taking place. The latest study, published Wednesday in the journal Science Advances, underscores how Uber and Lyft are worsening traffic in the city that gave birth to the ride-sharing phenomenon.
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/8/18535627/uber-lyft-sf-traffic-congestion-increase-study

the headline is a little misleading - it seems that uber and lyft are responsible for most of the *increase* in traffic, rather than responsible for most traffic.

Uber and Lyft are the ‘biggest contributors’ to San Francisco’s traffic congestion, study says

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/8/18535627/uber-lyft-sf-traffic-congestion-increase-study

the headline is a little misleading - it seems that uber and lyft are responsible for most of the *increase* in traffic, rather than responsible for most traffic.

It's interesting to see how popular they are. Although, I wonder if they had have eased up on the protectionism in the taxi industry in San Fran and allowed the number of taxis to increase to the numbers required would this article be about all the new taxis increasing the traffic? Probably have been worse considering how inefficient taxis are. Maybe time to ban taxis from San Fran to help with the traffic?

Needless to say, Cities like San Fran will have traffic problems unless there are better ways to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

It's interesting to see how popular they are. Although, I wonder if they had have eased up on the protectionism in the taxi industry in San Fran and allowed the number of taxis to increase to the numbers required would this article be about all the new taxis increasing the traffic? Probably have been worse considering how inefficient taxis are. Maybe time to ban taxis from San Fran to help with the traffic?

Needless to say, Cities like San Fran will have traffic problems unless there are better ways to get around.

the article already is about all the new taxis increasing the traffic problems.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

the article already is about all the new taxis increasing the traffic problems.

Excellent zinger! I actually thought to myself "I didn't see anything about taxis in that article. I must read it again". Then I realized that you are using the definition of taxi that you invented and it's a different one to the city of San Francisco and most other reasonable people. It's kind of like saying "the whole article's about buses increasing traffic in San Fran"

I've spent a lot of time in California and the traffic is nuts, all the way from San Francisco to LA (the worst on the planet) to San Diego.

I've spent a lot of time in California and the traffic is nuts, all the way from San Francisco to LA (the worst on the planet) to San Diego.

It's almost as if car-dominated transport planning doesn't really work.

• Advertisement

It's almost as if car-dominated transport planning doesn't really work.

I won't disagree. The major motor companies (eg GM) bought up a lot of the public transport and scrapped it. All well documented. And here we are.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/taxi-fares-to-increase-by-45-next-year-952724.html

Maybe now's the time for Uber-style ridesharing. Those who prefer professional driver can pay more for the expertise the rest of us can pay less for an amateur. :-)

Here we go.... Again

I had a post typed up and deleted it. I just can't be arsed this time around.

If you want to know why Uber are not in widespread use, read the thread, it's all there. The first few pages should do as every argument is repeated ad nauseum

DaCor wrote: »
    Here we go.... Again

I had a post typed up and deleted it. I just can't be arsed this time around.

If you want to know why Uber are not in widespread use, read the thread, it's all there. The first few pages should do as every argument is repeated ad nauseum

Thanks bud. Yeah, read the thread convinced Uber-style ridesharing should be allowed particularly after the fare increase coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Can't say I am surprised - I was in Chicago last May and at most times the vast majority of the traffic was made up of Uber drivers, I kid you not.

You could clearly see the sticker/identifier on the windshield...heck, some drivers there have an RGB led-lit version of it you could probably see from the rings of Saturn :D

The service is insanely popular in parts of the US, I've seen few actual taxis there as opposed to NYC that's swarming with the yellow cabs; Talking to a couple of Uber drivers (when in Chicago...you know), they were saying they get loads of jobs at peak times, one of them even said there were "regulars" using the service daily to commute to and from work.

In Indianapolis, one driver said he'd get people to O'Hare airport, 200+ miles away, a few times a month...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Uber reportedly tells its staff not to disclose potential crimes
    According to The Washington Post, a number of Uber's Special Investigations employees have come forward to reveal that they are forbidden from contacting the police or advising victims to pursue legal advice following an instance of assault.
    https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/26/uber-investigators-disclose-crimes-safety-assault/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Sagats_knee

Here in London we use Uber regularly. It’s a great service, and cheaper than the extortionate black cab. The service is better, as Uber drivers tend not to moan and complain about everything like taxi drivers do. Not having to deal with the price or cash is also a big plus, and any issues with the trip Uber will usually refund you partially or in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Here in London we use Uber regularly. It’s a great service, and cheaper than the extortionate black cab.

the extortionate due to tfl black cab.
    the black cab has it's fares regulated.
    The service is better, as Uber drivers tend not to moan and complain about everything like taxi drivers do. Not having to deal with the price or cash is also a big plus, and any issues with the trip Uber will usually refund you partially or in full.

black cab drivers mostly don't complain about anything and everything either. just like any varient of taxi driver. there will always be exceptions of course.
    lets not exaggerate in the aim of trying to big up uber.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

People want to avail of a more cost effective service. There's nothing wrong with that.
    black cab drivers mostly don't complain about anything and everything either. just like any varient of taxi driver. there will always be exceptions of course.
    Exaggerate? That's the posters experience. Others here have given their feedback that quality of service tends to be better via a ride sharing service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Sagats_knee

Except I’m not exaggerating. Uber is better hands down.

Advertisement