Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So what next for the Greens?

• 29-03-2020 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭

So the 12 apostles of the GP have decided to abandon their country in its hour of need. A wasted vote.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I wish it was the end of them.

But as we seen recently they seem to have the ability to pop up out of nowhere and infest the youths minds.

The youth love to rebel and the greens give them that platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

Who is going to want to go into Government with the inevitable massive recession/depression with FF/FG?

Pre-election promises are out the window for all parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

ongarite wrote: »
    Who is going to want to go into Government with the inevitable massive recession/depression with FF/FG?

Pre-election promises are out the window for all parties.

No love for Mary Harney but I remember she said 'your worst day in government is better than your best day in opposition' or words to that affect. In my opinion any party unwilling to step up deserves to be wiped out at the next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Definitely a black mark for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Green agenda will be dead for 5 years plus when people have enough money to burn again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

There was supposedly a Green candidate in Clare suggesting that people who are not from Lahinch stay away due to the corona virus.

Then I'm told that green party candidate wasn't from Lahinch themselves, but is seen regularly around Lahinch.

But I'm certain that they wouldn't be seen in Lahinch during these circumstances, as that would be hypocrisy.

M

Next they will complain about the PPE waste mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Funny how almost any economic wobble sends them right back to obscurity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

And all the flights to get said PPE into the country in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

nthclare wrote: »
    There was supposedly a Green candidate in Clare suggesting that people who are not from Lahinch stay away due to the corona virus.

Then I'm told that green party candidate wasn't from Lahinch themselves, but is seen regularly around Lahinch.

But I'm certain that they wouldn't be seen in Lahinch during these circumstances, as that would be hypocrisy.

Supposedly ?? Any evidence to back that up or is it just standard hearsay ?
    Not that I particularly give a **** about the Green Party or any party particularly but please back it up.. if true then yes it is absolute hypocrisy but these are strange times but politicians should be kept to a high standard of integrity

• Advertisement

I noticed that a lot of the lefties are quite silent during this crisis, and the true leadership is stepping out,Leo is showing his responsibility and his leadership skills are impressive, he's doing his best for everyone.

All these people who are so called caring and Liberal are running scared.
    Seems to me that all these social justice people have just vanished, nowhere to be heard or seen.

These celebs, influencer's, rock stars, religious leaders, all silent.

The whole world is in a heap, conspiracy theories are rampant.
    Some say its going to be a dawn of a new civilisation and every thing will be ok.

Low interest loans, ceo's salaries slashed, better tax incentives, people getting paid fairly according to their profits and it'll end obscene wages.

Metaphorically speaking it'll be back to the crafts men/women, fair wages, shares are going to plummet and what was once 1000 will be 150 if not less.

There's going to be prices cut left right and center, a total reset...

Friends of mine are driving new BMW's and Passats Ford's and their jobs are taking a tumble, output is decimated and the demand for their products will not be sufficient enough to keep going.

Whether you're on 20,000 a year or 200,000 now we're on the covid payment.
    No mortgages for the foreseeable future, or rental payments.

All down to a molecular virus, we're powerless and in it together.

Italy is a beautiful place and now it's full of pain and sorrow.

Im lying here haven't seen my son, mum, dad brother and sister in 3 weeks.
    Hopefully they'll be ok.
    Separated from the ones I love but hopefully we'll all meet again.

The things I took for granted all touch of a screen away, at the mercy of the dreaded crowned virus.

Its infiltrated people who are royalty to people who are so called common people, whether they are wearing a crown or trilby it's unstoppable unless we're lucky or through no fault of our own it'll gets us.

I hope you're all well and safe whether alone or in company.
    Its not the end, when the dust settles and we've accepted our losses we can rise again and build up our lives and not discriminate.

I met 5 guy's from the Far East they were from Kashmir, we were on the beach in Quilty we stopped at talking distance, I had a nice dog with me.
    They admired her silver coat, she was a weimaraner and they threw a few sticks for her.

They told me that they were grateful for the Irish Government looking after people laid off work.
    They love it here and grateful, of our generosity and asked me about the local heritage and admired the little church in the village.

The islands off Quilty intrigued them, and how at spring tides the farmers would bring the cattle over or back.

The fishing boats tied up and what kind of fish were hauled in, the surfer's in Doughmore they enjoyed watching and the sandunes,and the offshore breeze blowing up the sand.
    It was an absolute pleasure to talk to these guys.

A lot of us will not be able to fly away this summer, but when it all goes away we'll fill up the hotels, guesthouses and hostels, campsites and visit our heritage sites, castles, parks and beaches.
    Climb up a mountain and catch a few fish maybe surf for the first time.
    Carve some wood, pull a chainsaw cord, sweep a yard, shovel sh1t...

For those who'll be lost we'll not forget them and their struggle with the virus and their families that lost them.

We're a strong people the Irish and we're hopeful.
    I had a friend crying down the phone today, she's petrified of all the fear and pain and worried about her family.

Her mental health is suffering and she's the most loveable person ever and gets dealt bad cards throughout life.
    But she's doing all the right things, anxiety and depression feeds off times like these...

I bid you all good night.

Supposedly ?? Any evidence to back that up or is it just standard hearsay ?
    Not that I particularly give a **** about the Green Party or any party particularly but please back it up.. if true then yes it is absolute hypocrisy but these are strange times but politicians should be kept to a high standard of integrity

Standard hearsay, I'd like to think they're tucked away safely and abiding by their suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

So an article written by FF's Lorraine Clifford-Lee's husband slated the GP. And he backs his story up with a tweet from Alison O'Connor. That's not exactly Pulitzer Prize stuff there.

The Greens are the only party to have spoken with (or attempted to speak to) every other party in an attempt to form a government, so his opinion of them running away doesn't stick. What they have said is that they are of the opinion that a national unity government is required for the foreseeable future. FF and FG have only agreed in the past week to look into talking to each other, but things have changed. On the basis that a lot of tough decisions will have to be made once the lockdown is over, the GP's stance that a unity government is the only way out is probably the best way of avoiding months of pointless political shouting and all that entails.

This is neither political insight, not is it in any way and exclusive. It's Clifford, still very bitter that his wife didn't get a seat, letting off at anybody in politics bar FF.

But he writes it and posters here fall for it hook, line and sinker.

nthclare wrote: »
    Standard hearsay, I'd like to think they're tucked away safely and abiding by their suggestions.

Here’s hoping !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Green Party leader John Gormley, meanwhile, recounted how, when Mr Brennan opened talks with the party on forming a coalition government, he said: "You're playing senior hurling now lads."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dail-holds-minutes-silence-for-late-seamus-brennan-26460632.html

Afraid to play senior hurling now it seems, useless. But don't forget they were part of the government that brought the IMF here and no one in the media or public seem to hold it against them.

M

Perhaps they will discourage the use of diesel cars which they encouraged and wood burning stoves which have killed tens of thousands of Irish citizens. Grants are still being given to houses with the stoves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

I voted for these jokers as while not entirely aligned to all their policies I do agree that Climate change is (recent events excluded) the biggest issue of our time plus I think they can temper FF/FG's worst instincts. While I get the superficial attraction to a national unity government I am not convinced it would work (too many chiefs plus I fundamentally distrust SF).

Given the 3 main parties aren't biting they need to step up and get off the fence. I get that that they are afraid of 2011 repeating and getting hammered for austerity etc but this is a wholly different scenario.

They could always go into coalition now with a a caveat that when the crisis is over a full program for government should be agreed or they pull out. Their failure to step up now is making me unlikely to ever support them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

KevRossi wrote: »
    So an article written by FF's Lorraine Clifford-Lee's husband slated the GP. And he backs his story up with a tweet from Alison O'Connor. That's not exactly Pulitzer Prize stuff there.

The Greens are the only party to have spoken with (or attempted to speak to) every other party in an attempt to form a government, so his opinion of them running away doesn't stick. What they have said is that they are of the opinion that a national unity government is required for the foreseeable future. FF and FG have only agreed in the past week to look into talking to each other, but things have changed. On the basis that a lot of tough decisions will have to be made once the lockdown is over, the GP's stance that a unity government is the only way out is probably the best way of avoiding months of pointless political shouting and all that entails.

This is neither political insight, not is it in any way and exclusive. It's Clifford, still very bitter that his wife didn't get a seat, letting off at anybody in politics bar FF.

But he writes it and posters here fall for it hook, line and sinker.

Are the Greens willing to go into government , it's a simple yes or no. If it's a yes the article I linked is bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It appears that they've grown too quickly and lack discipline. Too many idealists who will be difficult to manage.

I'm thinking that they could turn into the next Labour party which splinters off in different directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Are the Greens willing to go into government , it's a simple yes or no. If it's a yes the article I linked is bs.

Yes they are and the article is BS.

• Advertisement

If they were willing they'd have stopped their nonsense by now.

They either don't want to or they've shown terrible judgement so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Salad

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Sounds like it alright, from a few days ago:
    Party whip Neasa Hourigan said the Greens would not be involved in talks with any of the three larger parties during the coronavirus pandemic as doing so would be inappropriate during a period of international crisis.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/greens-say-pandemic-makes-talks-with-large-parties-inappropriate-1.4212246%3fmode=amp

Green thinking is just a plaything for the well-off and bored so they can pose on social media. There won’t be enough of the former left for a while after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Most people in this country don't give a toss about the Green agenda beyond students with no bills or responsibilities, or the middle-upper class who suddenly grow a social conscience with their increased incomes in good economic times - but only as long as it's mere lip service required.

Everyone else is too busy paying for rent, mortgages, commuting, childcare, insurance, utilities and all those other essentials to be worried about such nonsense. Telling them they'll have to then pay significantly more so the above group can get a dose of the warm and cuddlies, or some Twitter attaboys doesn't really fly (especially as the Green solution to everything is just "more tax and charges").

Then you have numpties like Ryan front and centre - a guy who sounds and looks increasingly detached from reality lately but like Leo is all about the soundbites, and although no one else seems to remember their part in Government pre-2011, it's clear they do and want nothing to do with managing this potentially far more severe crisis now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wood burning stoves which have killed tens of thousands of Irish citizens.
    Wha? You have a link to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The Greens have shown how useless they are when push comes to shove. They put out the idea of a Unity government but when that didnt run they walked away. We need a government either FG/FF and others, FF/SF and others, FG/SF and others.
    Now is Martins chance to get out of the corner he painted himself in with SF. In the national interest talk to SF. It will be obvious after a few months whether or not Mary Lou is the boss or whether orders are coming from Falls Rd H.Q.
    If he has evidence of any nonsense pull the plug. We are dealing with two parties here who are desperate to get into power.
    The finances arent going to be there for the massive freebies SF were proposing ( and indeed what FF were proposing) but we do need stable government working on a definite programme not a government looking for an election in 12 months on a "we beat the virus" platform

Edgware wrote: »
    The Greens have shown how useless they are when push comes to shove. They put out the idea of a Unity government but when that didnt run they walked away. We need a government either FG/FF and others, FF/SF and others, FG/SF and others.
    Now is Martins chance to get out of the corner he painted himself in with SF. In the national interest talk to SF. It will be obvious after a few months whether or not Mary Lou is the boss or whether orders are coming from Falls Rd H.Q.
    If he has evidence of any nonsense pull the plug. We are dealing with two parties here who are desperate to get into power.
    The finances arent going to be there for the massive freebies SF were proposing ( and indeed what FF were proposing) but we do need stable government working on a definite programme not a government looking for an election in 12 months on a "we beat the virus" platform

I think any arrangements where Leo isn't Taoiseach and Simon isn't Minister for Health won't be a runner for the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the green agenda in the west is still largely a preserve of a strong economy, it's a "luxury".

if the economy, as seems likely, is going to crap out under the strain of Covid-19 restrictions, then the green agenda will be put firmly on the back burner for a while.

As for the GP, they're once bitten twice shy after getting into bed with FF in 2007 and are now firmly wedged between a rock (staying out of power and looking chicken sh1t and ineffectual) and a hard place (stepping up, having to oversee hard choices and make unpleasant compromises)

They come out of this looking incredibly weak but no one voted GP thinking they were hard nosed practitioners of Realpolitik.

• Advertisement

wood burning stoves which have killed tens of thousands of Irish citizens. Grants are still being given to houses with the stoves.

WTF is this about ???? How in the name of **** have they killed tens of thousands of people ? FFS COVID 19 has tragically killed 46 people in this country and we are locked down so what is this sorcery of the wood burning stove that you talk about, i’m genuinely intrigued....

Advertisement