Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-03-2020, 10:59   #76
joeguevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beer revolu View Post
That was vaguely amusing - the first time it was posted in this thread.
Apologies. I’m new to this thread. I thought a pun would be a good way to break the ice.
Advertisement
27-03-2020, 00:07   #77
DEFTLEFTHAND

The California was anchored and surrounded in ice with her fires put out. Like what has been mentioned before her Officers did consider the white rockets to be company calls and not distress signals. They thought Olympic was in the area at the time, passing the Titanic on her way to Southampton.

However they did consult with Lord the Captain of the ship who was sleeping in the chartroom on two separate occasions. One of them remarking that a ship doesn't keep firing rockets off for no reason.

They commented at the American inquiry that the ship had taken on a queer looking position in the water.
27-03-2020, 12:35   #78
Huntergonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
The California was anchored and surrounded in ice with her fires put out. Like what has been mentioned before her Officers did consider the white rockets to be company calls and not distress signals. They thought Olympic was in the area at the time, passing the Titanic on her way to Southampton.

However they did consult with Lord the Captain of the ship who was sleeping in the chartroom on two separate occasions. One of them remarking that a ship doesn't keep firing rockets off for no reason.

They commented at the American inquiry that the ship had taken on a queer looking position in the water.
The Californian's reaction to the situation was strange to say the least, and plenty has been wrote and said about it.

For me, it boils down to 2 things, 1. 2nd Officer Stone was too weak in not forcing the issue and 2. Captain Lord was bafflingly indifferent to the report of white rockets.

Maybe he was exhausted from a long day's work and felt he'd done his duty in informing the Titanic of field ice which forced them to stop for the night. But I can't understand why he wouldn't even bother to investigate the rockets, seems quite negligent.

The other big question which will never be answered is just how close were they to the Titanic. Could be anywhere from 8-30 miles depending on who you believe. This was a time before GPS and we know that Boxhall got the Titanic's position wrong by almost 15 miles.

But what we do know (because they said it themselves), is that the Californian's crew saw 'a ship', which stopped and seemed to out her lights out at 11.40pm (the time Titanic struck the berg), which fired 8 white rockets and seemed to be listing.

They couldn't have been looking at anything but the Titanic, and must have been somewhere between 10-15 miles away.

Given the circumstances of the night, I still think the Californian would have struggled to arrive at the scene before the Titanic disappeared below the water but they certainly would have arrived before the Carpathia and possibly could have saved more lives although I'm no expert on 1912 maritime rescue so I could be very wrong on that.

Finally, just to acknowledge I think the Californian deserves a lot of criticism for their inaction, but I also will concede that it's very easy to criticise them after the fact. I'd like to think that I'd have been more proactive in Lord or Stone's shoes but at the end of the day, I or anybody else could just as easily have done the same thing they did = nothing.

You just never know how you're going to react until you're in the hot seat!

Last edited by Huntergonzo; 27-03-2020 at 12:44.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion