Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
18-07-2019, 07:27   #46
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fann Linn View Post
Is that the 000s of lads who were switchec from LAs to IW?
Nah, it's lads like myself in the construction sector that fell on hard times during the bust.

The lads working for LA's & I'm talking about the lads on the ground are clashing with their unions etc because they don't want to make the switch probably because they'll have to do a bit. You won't see any workers working for Farrens construction, Coffey's, Shareridge, or GMC once again lads on the ground that made the switch from working for local county councils.
Tommy Kelly is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-07-2019, 07:33   #47
The Bishop Basher
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,148
We live in a house with a shared water main.

Same as very other house on our road.

They tried to fit meters anyway and when I asked them why they were wasting taxpayers money they told me they were just following orders.

So I got onto my local SF counselor and had the installations stopped.

Unless they can specifically measure your household usage, there’s no way they’ll be able to bill you for it. That’s their problem though.

It seems some people are itching to hand more of their hard earned cash over to the government to be wasted on god knows what and that should be their prerogative but they won’t get a cent out of this household without significant tax reductions in other areas.

We already fought that battle and won but we’ll fight it again if we have to. We’re already paying far too much tax for far too few services and IW is nothing but an elaborate con-job on the nation.
The Bishop Basher is offline  
18-07-2019, 07:52   #48
_Kaiser_
Registered User
 
_Kaiser_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 22,020
Agree with the poster previously who said that this is simply FG trying to reintroduce their favourite hobby-horse on the quiet.. Because (as in fact evidenced by this thread) who could object to excessive usage or waste being called out? Aren't we all "green" nowadays?

The threshold will come down and then the mass billing will start but I doubt it'll get that far. The whole mess and suspect deals around IW in the first place hasn't gone anywhere, the same reasons it was defeated last time still exist, and while there will be lots of vocal protests even more will just ignore the bills anyway just as they did before.

FG once again proving to be the "arrogant taxation party" and scoring yet another own goal.
_Kaiser_ is offline  
18-07-2019, 07:54   #49
Benedict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 503
IW should now face up to the fact that the "excessive usage fines" cannot be collected and any that are collected will have to be given back - just like they had to give back charges taken in the past. They are saying that if they "suspect" a non-metered home is using too much, they will insist on them getting a meter? So does IW think that the people in No 47 Anywhere Avenue who fought them off before are going to stand back this time and allow the meters because they are "suspects"? What will IW do this time? Arrange for the Riot Squad to be present (with plenty of tear-gas) in case they are confronted again?
Then maybe they discover their "suspicions" were wrong. So it must be No 49 who has been using all the water after all. So they get the Riot Squad again and just hope they're right this time?

So, if you don't have a meter (lucky you) and you see someone lying on the footpath outside your house with his ear to the ground, you'll know you're a "suspect" so expect the army to show up soon.

Does IW SERIOUSLY think this will work? That metered homes will just pay up while their non-metered neighbours are laughing at them?

Last edited by Benedict; 18-07-2019 at 08:00.
Benedict is offline  
(3) thanks from:
18-07-2019, 08:24   #50
The Bishop Basher
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,148
In Wicklow they were using over 90% of LPT revenue collected from us to setup and fund IW. They also have all that motor tax, of which i've just paid €1494 which again goes towards the funding of IW. I pay well over 50% of everything i earn in both direct and indirect taxation while getting fluck all in return and paying for all other services separately, and now they think i'm going to pay yet again for what is nothing more then a bloated quango with a history of wasting tax payers money while looking after "their own".

Last time I checked I didn't have gob****e written across my forehead.

I just don't give my cash away that easily to the government or to anyone else. It's too hard earned and so it's never wasted. Why do the government think i'd give it to them to waste ? Not a hope. It's step too far and i'll go to prison for it if necessary.

Eliminate the waste from the public system, stop throwing all our money at the most expensive children's hospital in the world and in the wrong location, stop wasting our money on dodgy contracts, and failed broadband rollouts, stop supporting and protecting those making fraudulent insurance claims, reduce the obscene pensions bill etc etc etc. The list goes on.. Start spending our money wisely so we can see a return on our taxes and then, but only maybe then, we can discuss water charges but for now they are dead in the water and so is any government that tries to introduce them.
The Bishop Basher is offline  
Advertisement
18-07-2019, 08:25   #51
odyssey06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Kelly View Post
Irish water have been for the past several years now upgrading these pipes in various parts of the country.
It's also worth noting that thousands of jobs have been created as a result of the ongoing upgrades to our water system.
Have you a source for this job creation statement?
Wasn't one of the rationales for IW that by consolidating the water services into a single national body meant less staff would be needed to run the services?

https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-wate...72307-Oct2015/

IRISH WATER IS due to reduce its number of employees by 1,200 over the next six years. Three hundred jobs were cut since last year, making the number 1,500 in total. A spokesperson for the utility said the measure is part of a larger business plan agreed when Irish Water was set up. The company is hoping to save €1.1 billion in “operational savings” by 2021.
odyssey06 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
18-07-2019, 08:43   #52
is_that_so
Registered User
 
is_that_so's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey06 View Post
Have you a source for this job creation statement?
Wasn't one of the rationales for IW that by consolidating the water services into a single national body meant less staff would be needed to run the services?

https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-wate...72307-Oct2015/

IRISH WATER IS due to reduce its number of employees by 1,200 over the next six years. Three hundred jobs were cut since last year, making the number 1,500 in total. A spokesperson for the utility said the measure is part of a larger business plan agreed when Irish Water was set up. The company is hoping to save €1.1 billion in “operational savings” by 2021.
The IW part was, but it didn't allow for the lazy lumping in of c 2500 LA staff on top of it. The reduction in that is where their savings will come but we'll have to wait till 2025 to see that fully implemented.
is_that_so is offline  
18-07-2019, 08:48   #53
is_that_so
Registered User
 
is_that_so's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bishop Basher View Post
We live in a house with a shared water main.

Same as very other house on our road.

They tried to fit meters anyway and when I asked them why they were wasting taxpayers money they told me they were just following orders.

So I got onto my local SF counselor and had the installations stopped.

Unless they can specifically measure your household usage, there’s no way they’ll be able to bill you for it. That’s their problem though.

It seems some people are itching to hand more of their hard earned cash over to the government to be wasted on god knows what and that should be their prerogative but they won’t get a cent out of this household without significant tax reductions in other areas.

We already fought that battle and won but we’ll fight it again if we have to. We’re already paying far too much tax for far too few services and IW is nothing but an elaborate con-job on the nation.
You do realise that this proposal is for excess usage and not general water charges? If you're not likely to be in that boat it doesn't affect you an even if you happen to be, reducing your usage to below that limit means no need to engage with IW.
is_that_so is offline  
18-07-2019, 08:50   #54
Limpy
Registered User
 
Limpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 483
The first start should be a referendum on Privatisation of Irish water.

The moment bills start coming in the door people will mobilise again.

FG and FF are beating a dead horse at this stage if they think they can sneak them back in.
Limpy is offline  
Advertisement
18-07-2019, 08:54   #55
Plumbthedepths
Registered User
 
Plumbthedepths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 7,527
As my granny used to say "God loves a trier".
Water charges by the back door, how transparent.
Plumbthedepths is offline  
(3) thanks from:
18-07-2019, 08:56   #56
NIMAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 23,434
Is everyone going to be treated the same this time round?

I had a meter installed outside my house, but what about all those that didn't due to protests? Are these properties going to get meters installed, or are those people who cause trouble and perhaps waste water get away with it while the rest of us pay?
NIMAN is offline  
(2) thanks from:
18-07-2019, 08:58   #57
The Bishop Basher
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by is_that_so View Post
The IW part was, but it didn't allow for the lazy lumping in of c 2500 LA staff on top of it. The reduction in that is where their savings will come but we'll have to wait till 2025 to see that fully implemented.
Not really savings in the true sense though. These were additional payroll costs that had nothing to do with IW and should never have been included. It would be a bit like buying a flash car you can't afford and selling it a few weeks later to make "savings". I can think of numerous ways they could make genuine savings to the benefit of the tax payer but of course that's never in the game plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by is_that_so View Post
You do realise that this proposal is for excess usage and not general water charges?
For now.. But we all know that this government wants to introduce water charges and will do so by whatever sneaky means necessary. This is just the beginning of that process and needs to be cut off at the head now.
The Bishop Basher is offline  
(2) thanks from:
18-07-2019, 09:02   #58
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2,371
Surely everybody is opposed to excessive usage. But how are people responsible for leakage. If the leakage was obvious they’d fix it. Otherwise it’s a buried pipe.
Franz Von Peppercorn II is offline  
18-07-2019, 09:04   #59
The Bishop Basher
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post
Is everyone going to be treated the same this time round?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post
I had a meter installed outside my house, but what about all those that didn't due to protests? Are these properties going to get meters installed
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post
or are those people who cause trouble and perhaps waste water get away with it while the rest of us pay?
By causing trouble do you mean exercising their lawful right to peaceful protest ?

Yes they will protest.

Look, you choose to be a sucker and pay that's your call.

Many of us see no reason to follow your lead and will stand up and fight this as we did last time.
The Bishop Basher is offline  
(5) thanks from:
18-07-2019, 09:05   #60
odyssey06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Von Peppercorn II View Post
Surely everybody is opposed to excessive usage. But how are people responsible for leakage. If the leakage was obvious they’d fix it. Otherwise it’s a buried pipe.
And also, surely a leak would account for a helluva lot more water than > 1.8 times the household average?
odyssey06 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet