Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Today, 01:53   #1
iamstop

Allow me to explain why the 'All Live Matter' hashtag is awful.

If you are using the 'alllivesmatter' hashtag and don't know any better or are confused why people are mad at you let me explain it:
1. The original hashtag 'BlackLivesMatter' was a reaction to a string of well documented cases of police brutality that resulted in the death of a long list of unarmed black people. On top of that there was no appropriate punishment for the police officers involved. They mostly got paid or unpaid leave until the heat died down and continued back at their jobs after that. Meanwhile the families and friends of the deceased got no justice. This sends shockwaves of trauma throughout the immediate community, the country of the US and the rest of the black population outside of the US too. This original hashtag started to really shine a light of the system wide oppression of black people in America and elsewhere.
2. The oppressors decided that this hashtag would gather too much momentum and decided they needed to water it down and dilute it with 'alllivesmatter' to protect the racist system that they benefit from. And to some degree it's working (COINTELPRO). Every time you use that hashtag you are doing the work of the oppressor. You are being used as a pawn. You are being manipulated into diluting a movement that's main goal is end police brutality.
2a. Nobody using the 'BlackLivesMatter hashtag is saying Only Black Live Matter. It is universally understood that all lives matter.
3. So, now that you are educated on the deceitful and hateful and manipulative reasons for this 'alllivesmatter' hashtag to exist you should stop doing the work of the oppressor and stop using it and stop being used.
3a. If you've read all this and understand it and still use the 'alllivesmatter' hashtag then shame on you. You are a terrible human.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
Today, 01:56   #2
Dogg Munde

Thanks for that. Good post

#AllLivesMatter

Last edited by Dogg Munde; Today at 01:59.
(2) thanks from:
Today, 01:59   #3
DelaneyIn

Irish lives matter. You flutes need to understand that and stop protesting over a convicted armed robber, who put a gun to a pregnant woman, when we are at the height of a global pandemic.
Today, 02:00   #4
sydthebeat
Subscriber

#blacklivesshouldmatterjustasmuch
Today, 02:03   #5
GarIT

How black people are treated in the USA is incredibly similar to how Irish people are treated in NI, how can we include them?

I doubt there is a movement that has the goal of increasing police brutality.

Many people have said only black lives matter. There have been many BLM protestors who have said they should be killing cops or white people as revenge or to make it even. I don't take them seriously, they are the edge case nutters but it's not correct to say nobody is saying it.
Advertisement
Today, 02:04   #6
Bobblehats

#Allclivesnatter. Must be in their dna or something
Today, 02:06   #7
DelaneyIn

Here is an Irish lad in limerick getting battered for not supporting black lives matter.

https://www.facebook.com/51862008151...3013/?vh=e&d=n

Horrible stuff.
Thanks from:
Today, 02:06   #8
cj maxx

#people matter
Today, 02:11   #9
Bobblehats

Alma matters. That is all
Advertisement
Today, 02:15   #10
GSBellew

Point 2a you state that it's universally accepted that all lives matter.

Should this be the case it negates the need to say that any lives matter.

My life matters, as much as anyone's, if saying so makes me racist.........
(2) thanks from:
Today, 02:19   #11
Warbeastrior

#BlackLivesMatter is the right and appropriate hashtag as black people are as a whole treated worse than white people in the US and further afield. As a white male, I know my life matters but were I black, I'd be questioning whether a lot of people thought that.
As was said over the last few days, if someone's house was on fire and they were using water to put it out. It would look very stupid if his neighbour came over giving out to them asking why they weren't putting any water on his house even though it's not on fire. That's what the #AllLivesMatter hashtag is like.
Today, 02:27   #12
Jim Bob Scratcher

#FatLivesMatter
Today, 02:33   #13
GSBellew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbeastrior View Post
#BlackLivesMatter is the right and appropriate hashtag as black people are as a whole treated worse than white people in the US and further afield. As a white male, I know my life matters but were I black, I'd be questioning whether a lot of people thought that.
As was said over the last few days, if someone's house was on fire and they were using water to put it out. It would look very stupid if his neighbour came over giving out to them asking why they weren't putting any water on his house even though it's not on fire. That's what the #AllLivesMatter hashtag is like.
I'll contra that with the point that making the black v white distinction is in itself contrary to the concept of inclusiveness and is racist.

If all lives matter is racist and white lives matter is racist than it's clear that black lives matter should also be racist.
(4) thanks from:
Today, 02:37   #14
GarIT

It seems to me like the feminism issue. The argument that feminism is by definition sexist and that modern feminism has gone from being about female equality to female superiority.

BLM is the correct term for this issue but there are also other issues.
Today, 02:42   #15
Bobblehats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbeastrior View Post
But what if they come over and say here, I worked my life paying a mortgage off on that adjoining house and now it’s tarnished by fire damage because the council took it upon themselves to snap this one up and put you chancers in it. Do you think they’d understand?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion