Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

26-03-2020, 14:24   #9451
Foweva Awone

I do 99% of my reading through the library, my order list is constantly full and always being updated, and obviously I'm really missing that at the moment.

So I'm using this opportunity to order books that I've always wanted to read but that weren't available in the Irish libraries ... right now I'm reading My Fair Junkie by Amy Dresner, and after that it'll be High Achiever by Tiffany Jenkins - both addiction/recovery memoirs (both from Amazon.) I do love me a good addiction memoir!!!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-03-2020, 14:30   #9452
DenMan

I'm following Noughts and Crosses every week on BBC One. It's brilliant. I'm curious, has anybody read the books before?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nought...(novel_series)
26-03-2020, 15:06   #9453
quickbeam

I'm not watching the show, but I read the first book.
Thanks from:
26-03-2020, 15:29   #9454
EmmetSpiceland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang shelly View Post
I see that it's classified as horror. I don't know if that's my thing.

I usually go for crime fiction with an emphasis on the main character either being the pathologist/anthropologist or the detective. I really enjoy a good book that can take you through the crime solving process.
Ah, I wouldn’t consider it a “horror”. Not in the classical sense. It’s as much a horror as ‘American Psycho’, it’s certainly horrific but it’s probably closer to a thriller.

It focuses on the bad guys and what they get up to. Lots of graphic details of their “exploits”. And, while it’s fairly stomach churning, it’s also fairly childish too.

If you’re into gory, descriptive, murders then you’ll enjoy this. Especially, if you like it very “over the top”.
26-03-2020, 15:53   #9455
Autosport

Quote:
I just finished reading A Conspiracy of Bones by Kathy Reichs and I gotta say, I'm kind of disappointed.

It's a bit different to the other Temperance Brennan novels in that the gory details are notably missing due to the fact that Brennan has been exiled from the medical examiners office. I enjoy reading how the victim was tortured/mutilated/murdered but none of this was here.
Have you read any of Chris Carters books??
Advertisement
26-03-2020, 15:57   #9456
Fann Linn

Trafalgar-An Eyewitness History.
Edited by Tom Pocock.
Penguin Classics.

Illustration of life onboard a 19th Century battleship.

Last edited by Fann Linn; 26-03-2020 at 16:17.
26-03-2020, 16:16   #9457
mustang shelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosport View Post
Have you read any of Chris Carters books??
I haven't actually
26-03-2020, 17:15   #9458
Ipso

Quote:
I see that it's classified as horror. I don't know if that's my thing.

I usually go for crime fiction with an emphasis on the main character either being the pathologist/anthropologist or the detective. I really enjoy a good book that can take you through the crime solving process.
What crime fiction authors do you recommend?
I really like James Ellroy, David Peace’s Red Riding quartet was great and just got into the Harry Bosch series. From an Irish point if view, I enjoyed Tana French’s books and Alan Glynn’s trilogy of Winterland, Graveland and Bloodland.
26-03-2020, 17:31   #9459
mustang shelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipso View Post
I really like James Ellroy, David Peace’s Red Riding quartet was great and just got into the Harry Bosch series. From an Irish point if view, I enjoyed Tana French’s books and Alan Glynn’s trilogy of Winterland, Graveland and Bloodland.
I'll look into those that you mention, I'm always open to recommendations for the crime fiction genre

Kathy Reichs would be my favourite, I have read all of the Temperance Brennan books (19 in total) and also her young adult offerings (co-written with her son).

I also really like Tess Gerritsen and have just today moved on to the last book in the Rizzoli & Isles series (12 books in total). I've given JK Rowling's Strike series a go but find it to be a bit hit and miss, I find I get bored quite a bit.

I have books by Patricia Cornwall, John Grisham and Steve Cavanagh (Irish author) on my shelf to give a go once I wrap up the the Rizzoli & Isles series by Gerritsen.

I've also read quite a few books by Mary Higgins Clarke but I would not recommend her. I thought her books were very basic and followed the same set up, so no surprises or twists and turns.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-03-2020, 18:36   #9460
adox

Just finished “Our Little Cruelties” by Liz Nugent.
A great read. Not one likeable character in the whole book and yet I was totally engulfed in it.
(2) thanks from:
26-03-2020, 18:37   #9461
adox

Quote:
Robert Dugoni is excellent in the genre. Fairly prolific as well.
Thanks from:
26-03-2020, 19:35   #9462
bonzodog2

Quote:
I'd put a word in for James Lee Burke, John Connolly and Michael Connolly
Thanks from:
26-03-2020, 20:07   #9463
eh i dunno

Quote:
Peter James "dead" series of books well worth a read.
26-03-2020, 20:16   #9464
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

Mod: We're nearing the 10,000 post mark so I'm locking this. New thread here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058065050
(5) thanks from:
Thread Closed