Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

20-03-2020, 20:17   #9421
the purple tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_ Public View Post
One of the issues with Wolf Hall, apart from the dizzying range of characters to get to grips with, was the confusion people felt over the use of "he" as a pronoun, sometimes it was hard to work out who it was referring to. Mantel acknowledged it and rectified it for both subsequent books where you begin to see "he, thomas cromwell,..." etc.

I think its worth studying the family trees and cast of characters very closely, once you have a good handle on that, the whole story opens up so much more easily i think.
It got a bit easier when I realised that Henry VIII was always referred to as 'He' with a capital H.
Advertisement
20-03-2020, 23:19   #9422
Danger781

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmisk View Post
I am reading station eleven at the minute...pretty good so far.
The novel takes place in the Great Lakes region after a fictional swine flu pandemic, known as the "Georgia Flu", has devastated the world, killing most of the population.
So pretty timely you could say!
I've owned this for quite a while and now does seem like the perfect time to start reading it, given the current circumstances..

I'm just finishing Abaddons Gate (Expanse Series #3) - Should be done tonight before I go to sleep
21-03-2020, 10:16   #9423
Foweva Awone

Current reading situation attached... I have of course read all of the Anne books before, never such a pretty version of them though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200319_202125.jpg (3.60 MB, 69 views)
(2) thanks from:
21-03-2020, 11:51   #9424
optogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foweva Awone View Post
Current reading situation attached... I have of course read all of the Anne books before, never such a pretty version of them though!
ah look. Think I'm going to reread these too.
21-03-2020, 13:35   #9425
quickbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Doctor View Post
Who reads only one book?
I only read one book at a time.

I have somehow accumulated many, many books (drat those charity shops that I just can't pass by!!) over the years so am well provided for duriing these extraordinary times. I have over 50 at last count, and there are some whoppers there too.

Just finished The 19th Wife.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
22-03-2020, 00:56   #9426
mikhail

I just finished Malcolm Gladwell's latest, Talking to Strangers. He builds the whole thing around this video of a woman being arrested over pretty much nothing: the officer tailgated her, then stopped her for changing lanes without signalling. She hanged herself in her cell three days later. The question he's interested in is why we're so bad at reading people. Chapters deal with stories like the CIA trying to spot double agents, judges making decisions around setting bail, administrators trying to assess the credibility of accusations of sexual assault against a high profile sports coach, a famous rape case and the related issues of consent and decisions made while blackout drunk, waterboarding, the universality or otherwise of facial expression, and more.

It's a bit uneven, but as usual he has lots of interesting stories in there to chew over, all told very accessably.
22-03-2020, 01:17   #9427
Adyx

Re-reading Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir in anticipation of the sequel in June. Fantastic book if you like necromancy with a dash of sci-fi.
22-03-2020, 01:22   #9428
Weepsie

Just finished Butchers Crossing by John Williams. Slow moving, describes mundane things about hunting in American West well. Some of it was great, someokay.

Now onto Sometimes a great notion by Ken Kesey. Started it several times and gave up, now seems an ideal time though
Thanks from:
23-03-2020, 22:43   #9429
rushfan

Currently re-reading "Rocket Men" about the American space program, and on the Kindle: "Rise and Kill First" about the Israeli Mossad thingy. only 8% into that one but looks very promising.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-03-2020, 22:49   #9430
ArchXStanton

Anyone recommend reading the da vinci code? Been here staring at me for the last few years, might make use of this free time..
23-03-2020, 22:53   #9431
eh i dunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchXStanton View Post
Anyone recommend reading the da vinci code? Been here staring at me for the last few years, might make use of this free time..
Wouldn't normally be my thing but I enjoyed it but it's pretty long.
Thanks from:
23-03-2020, 22:56   #9432
jprboy

Quote:
I recommend you burn it and get your hands on Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum" instead, seriously!

I read the .."Code" a few years ago and think (I'm not the only one) that Dan Brown was more than inspired (I'm being polite here) by Eco but produced a far, far inferior book.
23-03-2020, 23:28   #9433
mikhail

Quote:
Don't do it.

I suggest instead Dan Brown's 20 worst sentences.
24-03-2020, 09:04   #9434
quickbeam

DaVinci is mindless rubbish. But there's sometimes a time and a place for mindless rubbish so I say go for it.

I also read Foucault's Pendulum. I'll be honest, I preferred DaVinci. I couldn't make head or tail of what was going on in FP. Maybe you can draw your own conclusions about me based on that, but, honestly, it was one of the worst books I ever read.
24-03-2020, 14:44   #9435
Cheshire Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickbeam View Post
DaVinci is mindless rubbish. But there's sometimes a time and a place for mindless rubbish so I say go for it.

I also read Foucault's Pendulum. I'll be honest, I preferred DaVinci. I couldn't make head or tail of what was going on in FP. Maybe you can draw your own conclusions about me based on that, but, honestly, it was one of the worst books I ever read.
I loved Foucault's Pendulum, but I was the only one in my family and circle of friends who finished it. It's definitely not an easy read.
Thread Closed