Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

19-03-2020, 23:00   #9406
mustang shelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Doctor View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to be arrogant, I'm just a voracious reader.
No worries , I only read physical books and wouldn't touch a kindle or the likes. My eyes wouldn't be able to handle that much screen time after working on a laptop all day.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-03-2020, 00:36   #9407
bobbyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldejoie View Post
Currently re-reading Wolf Hall, and planning to re-read Bring Up The Bodies, to prepare Getting rave reviews so far, hope you enjoy!
I tried Wolf Hall and gave up. Her third book is getting good reviews so am wondering should i give it another go? And go for the treble?
20-03-2020, 01:00   #9408
mikhail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang shelly View Post
No worries , I only read physical books and wouldn't touch a kindle or the likes. My eyes wouldn't be able to handle that much screen time after working on a laptop all day.
Kindle is e-ink, not a backlit screen like a laptop. It's no harder on your eyes than paper. Or at least mine is; I couldn't swear there isn't a backlit model.

I prefer real books too, but I travel for extended periods for work (or at least I did, until recently ) and my Kindle has been immensely useful for being a book-sized library.
20-03-2020, 01:10   #9409
Ads by Google

Quote:
I enjoy it when people say they don't like kindles while making it blatantly obvious they've never even used one.
(3) thanks from:
20-03-2020, 01:18   #9410
Ipso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyss View Post
I tried Wolf Hall and gave up. Her third book is getting good reviews so am wondering should i give it another go? And go for the treble?
I also stopped reading Wolf Hall, just couldn’t get into it.
Advertisement
20-03-2020, 09:07   #9411
Barna77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipso View Post
I also stopped reading Wolf Hall, just couldn’t get into it.
Stick to it.
True that it can be dense, and the reader may need some knowledge of the historical era, she leaves some things like hanging or just mentioned.

I should have bought the third book, now that I have plenty of time to read
20-03-2020, 11:36   #9412
Nigel Fairservice

Quote:
They're not that bad, they're very easy on the eye. I use mine mostly when I travel or if I'm on the go. Ill still read my physical book if I'm just at home. Amazon do a Kindle deals of the day where they have 4 or 5 books on offer for £1. I have a whole pile of physical books to read and if I see one of my books from the pile that's on offer with the Kindle I'll buy it. I'll read it on a plane or a bus or something.
Thanks from:
20-03-2020, 11:51   #9413
Joe_ Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barna77 View Post
Stick to it.
True that it can be dense, and the reader may need some knowledge of the historical era, she leaves some things like hanging or just mentioned.

I should have bought the third book, now that I have plenty of time to read
One of the issues with Wolf Hall, apart from the dizzying range of characters to get to grips with, was the confusion people felt over the use of "he" as a pronoun, sometimes it was hard to work out who it was referring to. Mantel acknowledged it and rectified it for both subsequent books where you begin to see "he, thomas cromwell,..." etc.

I think its worth studying the family trees and cast of characters very closely, once you have a good handle on that, the whole story opens up so much more easily i think.
Thanks from:
20-03-2020, 11:54   #9414
fryup

anyone get their hands on Eyes of Darkness - the book that predict covid 19

if so any good?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-03-2020, 11:58   #9415
TheRepentent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Fairservice View Post
They're not that bad, they're very easy on the eye. I use mine mostly when I travel or if I'm on the go. Ill still read my physical book if I'm just at home. Amazon do a Kindle deals of the day where they have 4 or 5 books on offer for £1. I have a whole pile of physical books to read and if I see one of my books from the pile that's on offer with the Kindle I'll buy it. I'll read it on a plane or a bus or something.

I predominantly use the kindle...don;t have room for many books and always hated selling them. Great bit of tech to be honest.

Ionly buy books off a select few author who I love.

Having said that if I ever win the lotto I'll have my own Libary with floor to ceilins shelves and a ladder on wheels
20-03-2020, 12:21   #9416
Barna77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_ Public View Post
One of the issues with Wolf Hall, apart from the dizzying range of characters to get to grips with, was the confusion people felt over the use of "he" as a pronoun, sometimes it was hard to work out who it was referring to. Mantel acknowledged it and rectified it for both subsequent books where you begin to see "he, thomas cromwell,..." etc.

I think its worth studying the family trees and cast of characters very closely, once you have a good handle on that, the whole story opens up so much more easily i think.
I had forgotten about the use of "he". Yeah it was truly confusing.
And you're right about the family trees and list of characters.
(2) thanks from:
20-03-2020, 12:37   #9417
Joe_ Public

Quote:
Think it was only towards end of Bodies that i could go more than a few pages without checking the cast of characters page. Reading the third book i dont need it at all and makes a big difference. The series does require a bit of extra effort i think, but rewards make it hugely worthwhile.
Thanks from:
20-03-2020, 12:39   #9418
Mars Bar
I belong here. As do you.

I'm doing something I never do but I have 3 books on the go at the moment

Oathbringer - Brandon Sanderson (so I can get away from the real world)
Rewire Your Mindset - Brian Keane (so I can stay focused and learn some new coping strategies for these strange virus days)
The Body: A Guide For Occupants - Billy Bryson (so I can feel like I'm learning but laugh at the same time)
(2) thanks from:
20-03-2020, 18:20   #9419
appledrop

Quote:
I probably find this easier than some because I admit I have watched every programme going about Henry IIIV so I can remember who is who quite easily. Wolf Hall on BBC was a brilliant series based on the Hiliary Mantel books.

If there was ever a time to read a book you couldnt get into now is the time!
(2) thanks from:
20-03-2020, 18:44   #9420
Aglomerado

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryup View Post
anyone get their hands on Eyes of Darkness - the book that predict covid 19

if so any good?
I'm reading it now. About halfway in. No mention of a virus so far but there is a dead boy who might not be dead ....
I'm also reading Bill Bryson's new one the Body. It's brilliant as is everything that man writes.
(2) thanks from:
Thread Closed