Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

26-02-2018, 20:53   #7531
appledrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fann Linn View Post
The Tatooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris.
How are you finding it? I recently read The Choice by Edith Ever and it was a very interesting read. Thinking of buying this one next.
Advertisement
26-02-2018, 21:02   #7532
Fann Linn

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledrop View Post
How are you finding it? I recently read The Choice by Edith Ever and it was a very interesting read. Thinking of buying this one next.
I've an interest in history and have a 'gra' for WW2 to be honest, so just finding another viewpoint on this terrible time.

Saying that, the story itself is interesting, and the subjects pov is quite original and yet so very , very central to the full horrors of Auschwitz. It's really amazing how Man can be so barbaric and yet also amazing how Man can struggle to survive that very barbarity.
(2) thanks from:
26-02-2018, 21:11   #7533
appledrop

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like an interesting read definitely on the list for the next book. If we get this snow in that we are promised I'll be flying through them all!
Thanks from:
04-03-2018, 22:32   #7534
Thargor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle101 View Post
I just bought Frank Herbert's Dune novel along with Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. Can't wait to get stuck into them as i've been really eager to read Dune for a while now.
Dune is an amazing read, enjoy it, probably my all time favourite.
04-03-2018, 22:55   #7535
appledrop

Right so finished reading Fatherland. I did really enjoy it but disappointed with the ending. Anyone else feel the same?
Advertisement
04-03-2018, 23:14   #7536
Inspector Coptoor

Reading a physics book called
“the greatest story ever ...so far. Why are we here” by Lawrence M Krauss.

I have a biochemistry background and physics is not my strongpoint but this book is giving me a much better understanding of quantum mechanics.
Would recommend.
(2) thanks from:
05-03-2018, 00:08   #7537
kimokanto

I recently finished David Szalay's book - "All that man is"
It reads more like a collection of short stories than a novel but this in no way reduces the quality of this book.
There is a subtlety & simplicity to his writing which belies its magnificance.
Bleak at times but touchingly sensative & funny also.
05-03-2018, 07:34   #7538
shoegal1

Just finished The Potato Factory by Bryce Courtenay. Part 1 of a trilogy. From 19th C London to the convict colony of Van Diemen's Land, a really good read.
Thanks from:
05-03-2018, 08:16   #7539
rushfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledrop
Right so finished reading Fatherland. I did really enjoy it but disappointed with the ending. Anyone else feel the same?

It's on the list!! Just finished Conclave which wasn't bad, intriguing ending.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-03-2018, 10:10   #7540
Malari

Ferney, by James Long.

I appreciate a lot of work went into the historical research for this novel, and the writing is quite beautiful at times, but I just couldn't get on board with the central love story. I didn't identify with the characters and Spoiler: I found myself sympathising with the husband. I don't think I'll bother with the sequel.
Thanks from:
05-03-2018, 10:47   #7541

The complete Sherlock Holmes.

I only really got into reading as a twenty something. I was a nerd reader as a teenager and didn't read a lot of fiction. Only getting around to most of the classics now.

Still better late that never. Almost finished reading outliers by your man Malcolm Gladwell and am just about to start a book on fifa corruption.
05-03-2018, 10:48   #7542

I'm reading The Book of Dust by Philip Pullman, the follow-up to the His Dark Materials series.

I'm always surprised at how well Pullman captures the world from the point of view of a child. It feels very real.

Last edited by Vojera; 05-03-2018 at 12:22.
(2) thanks from:
05-03-2018, 12:18   #7543
New Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malari View Post
Ferney, by James Long.

I appreciate a lot of work went into the historical research for this novel, and the writing is quite beautiful at times, but I just couldn't get on board with the central love story. I didn't identify with the characters and Spoiler: I found myself sympathising with the husband. I don't think I'll bother with the sequel.
I absolutely LLLOVE that book!!! I read it back in 1998, mind you. I agree with what you're saying about Spoiler: the husband, but I thought the story was so brilliant I was completely hooked (again, this was 20 years ago).

The sequel ("The Lives She Left Behind"), which is set something like 15 years later (I can't remember exactly), answers some of the questions left from "Ferney" and is one of those books you can't stop reading, it's written beautifully and is very well structured, and again the historical part is very well researched, too, but I felt disappointed by the ending, I felt like James Long wanted to put a very definite stop to any chance of a further volume - to me it sounded like the editors forced him to write it - either that or he got fed up and put those characters behind him ages before he had finished to write the sequel.

James Long (who has also written a couple of books along the same lines under the pseudonym Will Davenport - "The Sinner" and "The Painter", if I remember correctly), used to be a BBC journalist. His first few novels were mostly crime/thrillers/espionage type of things, but he has an obvious passion for history. He has also co-written "The Plot Against Pepys" with his historian son Ben Long .

He's one of my favourite authors (and I don't even like history).

Last edited by New Home; 05-03-2018 at 12:25.
Thanks from:
05-03-2018, 12:19   #7544
New Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vojera View Post
I'm reading [b]The Book of Dust[/i] by Philip Pullman, the follow-up to the His Dark Materials series.

I'm always surprised at how well Pullman captures the world from the point of view of a child. It feels very real.
That's on my wishlist. Chapters, wait 'till I get to Dublin!
Thanks from:
05-03-2018, 12:21   #7545

On Writing by Stephen King
Read it before, reading it now, and will read it again.
Thread Closed