Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bringing Irish back into the public domain

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

The only reason or way Irish will ever make a come back is if young people see a reason to learn it or see a benefit to it. Forcing them to learn it in school or for college admission is not such a way.

totally agreed.... I have no interest in going to an ould Jig to speak Irish... Id much prefer to go to a regular pub or gig or something.

oh, and An Fear Aniar, dont worry about it, I just wish the government would do everything they could to bring irish back from where it is now... but I know that no matter what its up to you and I to really make the change...(i just need a little push!!)

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

Irish is a beautiful language, i love speaking it when there is no pressure i.e. no one critcising your grammar and when its just relaxed.
    I agree with what was said with Gaeltachts being vastly overstated, i live in Galway in a Gaeltacht region and the language is dead in the region although we have an excellent standard of irish in the national school.
    Yes the Irish language taught in schools needs to be overhauled, too much emphasis is given to stuff thats never used, you dont do poetry in French etc. The emphasis needs to be on the spoken aspect because people are more likely to speak irish rather than write it after they finish school. speaking irish is much more likely to be interestin than writing it. How are teachers meant to inspire love in a language if the course they are teaching is boring?
    I am also doing an Irish diploma in NUIG along with my other studies, its very interesting, the spoken is completely separate from the written part of the course as in you only speak in one class. The grammar is taught much better because its taught by people who are in love with the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

At the moment, there isn't really much motivation to learn Irish, as everything is in English. Only the really dedicated want to learn Irish nowadays, but learning Irish doesn't seem to bring many benefits at the moment, asides from being able to read signs in Irish, or something like that. I apologise for being cynical, but that's just the way it seems over here at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Having recently been turned down for a job on the grounds that they wanted someone with good Irish (and no, it wasn't TG4, RnaG or similar, it was a position where 2-3% of the material to be dealt with was as gaeilge and IMO they could have subcontracted a cardigan-wearing, bearded shinner gaelgoir to do it...*awaits stream of outraged abuse*) I'm pretty f@cked off with this whole Irish language thing.

When I was in school it was all Peig Bleeding Sayers and Fear Lasta Lampai, nobody took any interest in it as it was a dead language on its way out and it was in no way hip. Now, thanks to TG4 it's become 'young' and 'exciting', which I guess is a positive.

On the down side the only reason irish is alive today is because of 19th/20th Century Cultural Nationalism which used it as a means of differentiating the irish from the english, and thus justifying a seperate state. This tradition has continued and pretty much everything to do with irish, GAA etc are all to some extent manifestations of a sectarian attitude. The Good Friday agreement should get the IRA to decommission their language!

With regard to job applications I am wondering what the EU position on this is, as the 'need' (as if anyone in this country actually needs irish) for irish automatically precludes anyone who is a non-irish native and is therefore surely contrary to equal opportunities legislation. Comments anyone?

I say outlaw irish and put everyone on an even keel, as the last time I checked we could all speak english...

I look forward to a lively debate :)

///edit

I've just noticed a thread above about taxi signs in irish. And who is the outraged politician, why if it isn't ol' shinner Sean Crowe. Kind of proves my point. Tiocfaidh ar la and all that...

<clears throat>
    magpie, I am very sorry that you couldnt get the above job, but perhaps rather than using it as a means to insult the language, how about using it as motivation to actually learn it, so you might qualify in the future?
    When I was in school it was all Peig Bleeding Sayers and Fear Lasta Lampai, nobody took any interest in it as it was a dead language on its way out and it was in no way hip. Now, thanks to TG4 it's become 'young' and 'exciting', which I guess is a positive.

Firstly, as has been mentioned, it is a broad consensus that the Irish language in schools needs to be reviewed. Not made as a choice subject, but just thought differently to the way it is now.
    And although TG4 appeals to many young people, which is a good thing, the purpose is to give irish speakers a place on national television, and not just afew hours a week at the arse end of RTEs schedual.
    On the down side the only reason irish is alive today is because of 19th/20th Century Cultural Nationalism which used it as a means of differentiating the irish from the english, and thus justifying a seperate state. This tradition has continued and pretty much everything to do with irish, GAA etc are all to some extent manifestations of a sectarian attitude. The Good Friday agreement should get the IRA to decommission their language!

Now, heres where my problem with your post really kicks in. The fact that you would consider the Irish language a tool of sectarianism is rediculous, and 100% ignorant. Obviously the feeling has escaped you, but Im sure people who speak Irish and learn to speak Irish dont do so to show the Brits what for, they do it because its their national language, because they have pride in their heritage and because they can.
    And being able to speak Irish or not is not what justifies us as a seperate state, perhaps the fact that we WERE a seperate state and were then invaded would justify it. America doesnt have its own language, so should that be put under the commonwealth again??
    And Irish is not the IRAs language, nor is it the GAAs. It is Irelands. Im not going to get started on the ignorance of your decommissioning joke, because I hope against hope that it wasnt serious.
    With regard to job applications I am wondering what the EU position on this is, as the 'need' (as if anyone in this country actually needs irish) for irish automatically precludes anyone who is a non-irish native and is therefore surely contrary to equal opportunities legislation. Comments anyone?

I would love to see you bring your case to the EU. Firstly there are very few jobs in Ireland that require Irish. Secondly, even if they all did, there is no way the EU could/would stop it. Irish is our first language. If the government decide that you have to speak irish to get a job, then you better learn or leave. Any non-Irish native would have to follow the law, and if that law stated you must speak Irish, then they would have to learn. Once again I will use an example. Do you think that if you went for a job interview in France, without any french and you were refused the job that you would have any reason to complain? And the current need for Irish is no argument, its still our language, even if it has been neglected.
    say outlaw irish and put everyone on an even keel, as the last time I checked we could all speak english...

Something tells me you are no more that an idiot TROLL. Why dont we get rid of the tricolour while were at it? And ban Irish literate and plays etc, theres no need for our heritage anymore.
    I've just noticed a thread above about taxi signs in irish. And who is the outraged politician, why if it isn't ol' shinner Sean Crowe. Kind of proves my point. Tiocfaidh ar la and all that...

What point? You have no point? Do you think that all Irish speakers are Sinn Fein heads? That the sole mission in the lives of all native speakers is to bomb the brits?? The fact is in this country you have a right to practice the language, and these drivers rights are being denied.

Magpie, i suggest you grow up. If you dont have any respect for Irish, at least respect other peoples right to use it. IT may not be widespread at the moment, but that doesnt mean we should forget it, in fact, quite the opposite, we should do everything we can to save it. ]

Kennett, your not wrong in what you say, which is why i would like to see big shops being forced to display dual prices etc (see the original post for my other ideas!!). There is no need to learn Irish at the moment, but if enough is done there could be in years to come

Flogen

• Advertisement

And being able to speak Irish or not is not what justifies us as a seperate state, perhaps the fact that we WERE a seperate state and were then invaded would justify it

Oh really? What state was that?

I'm obviously mistaken in the reasons why Conradh na Gaeilge was set up then....

Oh really? What state was that?

erm.... IRELAND YOU IDIOT

check your history books, we used to be independent, then we were invaded, then we were independent again.... quite easy to remember but I can draw you a graph if you like

and Conradh na Gaeilge was set up to reverse the influence Britain had on Ireland, not to justify a seperate state, the fact we had been invaded was justification for a free state.

Flogen

IRELAND YOU IDIOT

Oh really? I thought Ireland consisted of a loose conglomeration of warring tribes and families, one of whom invited the Normans in to defeat the Viking King of Dublin.

But what do I know about history compared to you, right?

Conradh Na Gaeilge was a cultural nationalist institution that set about inventing traditions (viz the Irish Kilt) in order to hark back to a mystical time of 'freedom' and racial purity. Something similar happened in Germany in the 1930s.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

It's really sad that this thread was started by someone that really wants to learn irish, and then that person has to practically defend our whole heritage. I say fair play to you Floghen, but know that you are always going to come up against ignorance if/when you become a gaelgóir.

Irish for me has nothing to do with any politics. Its is just another one of the beautiful Irish things that I appreciate.

People being spiteful because of the way they were taught irish in school is nothing new, nor is people not getting jobs. You did not fit the requirements. I'm sure you will find another job where you qualify.

Conradh na Gaeilge was also set up to give pride back to its people. And I have pride in my language and cultur.

Please stop trying to create a troll.

I'm Irish born and bred and it's not my language. English is.

• Advertisement

so your trying to compare Ireland with Nazi Germany?
    The Gaelic League was setup to re-introduce Irish and Irish ways, not invent tradition. And to even think about comparing it with Nazism is amazingly ignorant. The Gaelic league wasnt racist, it was just keen on saving Irish heritage, like most Irish people are.
    Oh really? I thought Ireland consisted of a loose conglomeration of warring tribes and families, one of whom invited the Normans in to defeat the Viking King of Dublin.

no actually, Ireland before the British invation consisted of 4 provinces, each with a king, not small tribes and families waring. So obviously you dont know alot about irish history.

and jesjes is right, learning the irish language is not about politics, its about yourself and how you feel about your heritage. Some people do try and make it political, but it shouldnt be.
    If you dont want to learn Irish, thats fine, but dont be so ignorant to suggest that we should all stop, or that its just RA heads that are interested.

Flogen

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

English is your first spoken language, yes. But Irish is the first language of this country. Recently there was a new law passed that means all government documents have to be bi-lingual and that we, as Irish people, have the right to a trail through Irish, along with many other advantages. I will find out more details and post them on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Flogen,

Fair play to ya.
    I feel 100% the same. Just wondering how your planning to go about learning it?
    ie. Books or classes or tapes?

cheers gillie, I plan on going to a night class thing in my old school, which has a beginners irish class (my irish is quite bad, so id be better starting from the start). I think they do an advanced course, but depending how i go I might start to get some books and tapes etc.

But starting off with classes myself!

Flogen

Sure there is 125 lessons for free!

http://www.irishpage.com/irishpeople/

Actually, here is a list of plave you can learn for free!!!

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaeilge/foghlaim/

Given that Ireland had been a part of the United Kingdom for 200 years there was precious little tradition to preserve. You'll find that the Irish that is taught today was produced by a committee in the 1920s and is a bastardisation of a number of regional dialects, many of which were officially extinct by 1850.

It's an unfortunate indicator of how successful the cultural extremism of Conradh Na Gaeilge, the GAA (which invented the rules for hurling etc in the mid 1800s, how traditional is that?) and the Fianna Fail government of the 1930s have been that people equate Irishness with being able to speak a functionally extinct language and harking back to a mythical time in prehistory whose most credible historical source is the Tain.

Apparently you can learn Irish for free at HM Prison Maze, sorry, that's 'Long Kesh' to you. That's where Gerry Adams learned.

STOP. RIGHT NOW>

You are turning this into something political. And is WAS NOT THAT TO BEGIN WITH.

If you dont like it. Fine. We do. And learning it is our parogitive. Now, feck off with your troll. NOW.

Ceart go loir... ta me ar mo rothar. Go n-eiri an bothair libh. Slan!

Yeah, wish us look after all that hassle. AN Cliste ar fad.

Biodh an fheamainn leat.

• Advertisement

An bhfuil cead agam dul go dti an leathras? Nil aon tintean mar do thinteain fein, thigim.

Tá cead agut póg mó thóin.

Dun do clab

Listen buddy, you said you were on your bike. Now make a move. Yeah?

Wow! Is craic mor ata e an gaeilge... is fear nua liom.

thanks for those links jesjes

and magpie, just give it up.
    Ireland has alot of tradition worth preserving, from before the UK occupied us and during.
    And modern Irish was jsut regulated, not bastardised. Theres little hope for a struggling language that is different from one end of the island to the other, all languages are regulated, its how it works
    The Gaelic League was nationalist, but it wasnt extremism, it was just trying to save the Irish language and ways.
    And rules for Gaelic and Hurling were, as with language, brought in to regulate the sport, it has a long tradition before that. Infact, rules for soccer were only set up around the same time as GAA
    And being Irish is and never was about just speaking the language and knowing how to Irish dance. your irish, so am i. I just intend on learning my language, and practising it where i can. It is not extinct. if it was TG4 and RNAG etc wouldnt be commercially viable and would close down, along with many other Irish based organisations.

You are an ignorant troll, this is about how to encourage and learn the language, if you want no part in that, then dont post on the thread.

Flogen

gaibh mo leithsceal? Ni thigim Bearla.

Listen. Lets stop replying. He is just trying to annoy us. And sadly is succeding.

Cad? An duirt tu aon rud?

• Advertisement

You know I speak Irish, fluently. Now. This is the last time. FECK OFF.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement