Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's involved in a petrol mower service?

Options
  • 18-02-2019 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of bringing my old petrol lawn mower in for a service. What do they do to it? What should I ask them to do? It may need new blades. What's the average cost of a service?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Is it 2 stroke or a 4 stroke engine? It's all super super easy stuff, very basic tools and a few minutes on google and you'd have it running like new.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Is it 2 stroke or a 4 stroke engine? It's all super super easy stuff, very basic tools and a few minutes on google and you'd have it running like new.

I have no idea what kind of thing it is at all. Don't know what stroke means.
    It's quite old at least ten years old. I am meaning to bring it somewhere for a service. What kind of things will they do as part of that and how much would it cost.
    Can't do anything myself. Am an idiot about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Air filter,spark plug and oil change.sharpen the blade.half an hour.check belt drive if it’s self propelled.

Air filter,spark plug and oil change.sharpen the blade.half an hour.check belt drive if it’s self propelled.

Thanks. Approx how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It honestly sounds like you shouldn’t try this.

What is required depends on how it’s running.
    If it’s running and you want routine maintenance then oil, filter, spark plug, sharpen blades and thiurough once over will do.

If it’s running poorly then maybe carburettor and fuel tank cleaning should also happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Ring a shop and get a price for a service and blade sharpen. If it's running alright then I'd just let it keep doing its thing

_Brian wrote:
    It honestly sounds like you shouldn’t try this.

_Brian wrote:
    What is required depends on how it’s running. If it’s running and you want routine maintenance then oil, filter, spark plug, sharpen blades and thiurough once over will do.

_Brian wrote:
    If it’s running poorly then maybe carburettor and fuel tank cleaning should also happen.

Thanks.
    Am not sure what you mean by 'You shouldn't try this".
    Am just enquiring about a service!

bobbyss wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Am not sure what you mean by 'You shouldn't try this".
    Am just enquiring about a service!

People were saying it’s easy to do yourself, it’s only easy if you know what your doing. No offence intended.

_Brian wrote:
    People were saying it’s easy to do yourself, it’s only easy if you know what your doing. No offence intended.

None taken whatsoever. I wouldn't have a monkey's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Thanks. Approx how much?

Honestly no idea of cost. I do all my own mowers.parts for servicing a briggs engine for a walk behind mower plus oil would come in around 20 euro.ive no idea of labor costs.

• Advertisement

Honestly no idea of cost. I do all my own mowers.parts for servicing a briggs engine for a walk behind mower plus oil would come in around 20 euro.ive no idea of labor costs.

A lawnmower dealer used to charge me €65 for a service of a self drive mower it was basically 45 euro for labour which was his hourly rate. I

A lawnmower dealer used to charge me €65 for a service of a self drive mower it was basically 45 euro for labour which was his hourly rate. I

Wow! I am in the wrong business altogether. 45 euro.

Wow! I am in the wrong business altogether. 45 euro.

Sounds right for a self employed person who has the overheads of a building, equipment, insurance to cover. Running a business is expensive. Agri dealer near us charges €55/hr

I worked maintenance on equipment back in 90’s and we charged £35 for first hr and £25 every hour after. That was 25 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I have no idea what kind of thing it is at all. Don't know what stroke means.
    It's quite old at least ten years old. I am meaning to bring it somewhere for a service. What kind of things will they do as part of that and how much would it cost.
    Can't do anything myself. Am an idiot about these things.
    You could find out a bit about internal combustion engines on Google, (or in the library), but to put it simply, if it sounds like a chainsaw or a Honda 50, it's a 2-stroke, while the type of engines in cars etc are generally 4-stroke, a more complex type of engine with a lower note a steadier kind of beat.

Thanks for all your replies. So I got it serviced and bearing in mind I am a strict amateur with little or no knowledge of lawnmowers
    I have one question.

When I pull the lower metal handle for automatic it takes off really well. But what I have noticed is that the back two wheels often jam when I pull it back.

Before it was grand. I could do small bits forwards and backwards quickly. Now often I am leaving skid marks in the grass what with the back two wheels not moving. I am near dead with the effort. What am I doing wrong? Why have the back two wheels starting locking when they never did that before?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭quagmire47

Thanks for all your replies. So I got it serviced and bearing in mind I am a strict amateur with little or no knowledge of lawnmowers
    I have one question.

When I pull the lower metal handle for automatic it takes off really well. But what I have noticed is that the back two wheels often jam when I pull it back.

Before it was grand. I could do small bits forwards and backwards quickly. Now often I am leaving skid marks in the grass what with the back two wheels not moving. I am near dead with the effort. What am I doing wrong? Why have the back two wheels starting locking when they never did that before?

Mow your lawn moving forward at all times. You shouldn't be pulling the lawnmower backwards.

See image below:
    https://tinyurl.com/yyzhj9pg

If you follow a map like this your lawn mower is always moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

quagmire47 wrote: »
    Mow your lawn moving forward at all times. You shouldn't be pulling the lawnmower backwards.

See image below:
    https://tinyurl.com/yyzhj9pg

If you follow a map like this your lawn mower is always moving forward.
    If you are like me, and your lawn is relatively small with a few tight turns around a patio area, you will have to pull back occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I have one question.

Next time you are pulling it back leave go of the lower metal handle.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have one question.

It's a feature that you can't pull back with the drive on. Just let go of the handle to pull back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

btw - how much were you charged?

• Advertisement

johnayo wrote:
    If you are like me, and your lawn is relatively small with a few tight turns around a patio area, you will have to pull back occasionally.

That's absolutely right. And especially if you want to go over the edges I would push it over the edge and back again a few times.

Price? Can't remember but generally happy with it. Maybe about the €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Never heard of a two stroke lawnmower to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Never heard of a two stroke lawnmower to be honest!

We've a 2 stroke FlyMo in my parents house, which was resurrected after another 2 stroke wheeled mower died.

2 stroke was banned for most uses years ago so most are likely to be scrapped or left rotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A honda 50 is not 2 stroke and sounds rather different to a chainsaw.

Advertisement