Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teaching Council - Print your own card

• 18-02-2019 12:36pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭

You have to laugh really, for 65 euro.
    What am I going to do without my super professional looking photocopy paper with a bit of 'sticky backed plastic' stuck to it?

What exactly do these people do (in both languages)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

spurious wrote: »
    What am I going to do without my super professional looking photocopy paper with a bit of 'sticky backed plastic' stuck to it?

I pointed out last year that these shower have huge amounts of cash reserves sitting in a bank (over 12 million euros if I remember rightly).

Perhaps what they could do is organise and pay a team of teachers to produce subject plans so that every school in the country is not duplicating the work - if individual schools need to slightly update these then so be it. But quangos aren't known for producing anything useful...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭amacca

You can be sure the underlings in the office are kept busy and probably work very hard so they don't get a chance to think for too long about what the hell they are actually doing.

The real question which I'm sure you were getting at is this work of any real value to anyone?..............or is it simply another quango creating busy work to justify its existence?

another question is how many are at the top and what are they creaming off either solely from the enterprise or in conjunction with other side gigs, speaking engagements, board seats etc etc?

Here are the accounts from 2017 (the 2018 are not up yet)

https://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Publications/Finance/Financial-Statements/Financial-Statements-2017.pdf

Average (mean) salary per worker is 46000. Would be interested to know if it is a graduated scale like teaching. Top salary 100k I think. Not bad for producing a an e-zine every now and again and processing payments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Jesus, maybe they'd give me a job. I could handle all the non-Irish trained applicants.

No.
    No.
    No.
    Mmmm nice cup of coffee.
    No.
    No.
    Lunch girls?
    No.
    No.
    No.
    Home.

Ker-ching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Do we have to print our membership cards now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes and everything else, receipt, cert. saying you're registered.
    You'd think they'd drop the fee.

Yes and everything else, receipt, cert. saying you're registered.
    You'd think they'd drop the fee.

So they do absolutely nothing for us now????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

So they do absolutely nothing for us now????

Not quite. Of the three things that you have an option to print off yourself, you can still request receipt of payment letter. The other two things, your T Certificate and that card yoke you have to, I believe, print off yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Has anyone EVER been asked for their TC card?

You’d think they could at the very least print out a credit card style membership card that would at least look a tad professional.

Cowboys Ted

You’d think they could at the very least print out a credit card style membership card that would at least look a tad professional.

Cowboys Ted

Nah, they don't have the money for that....

• Advertisement

Cowboys Ted

I still have my initial registration on the good quality glossy paper with the green on the back but I updated my subjects and got a page I could have printed myself.

I've never been asked for my card or that little bit of plastic they call a card.

Would it not be possible to issue 10 year cards on actual cards? It would save money and if a teacher retires/ doesn't pay, make it invalid - will it matter - no - we're never asked for them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

You can get free/reduced entry to historical sites in several EU countries with the TC card. I used mine in Rome and saved a good bit. They were a little sceptical of the crappy plastic card at the time. I guess the new print at home version will be rejected.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

What a shower. At the very least go and make sure you're getting your flat rate expense that includes the TC registration. Every time I help someone with their taxes they have the lower rate of flat rate expenses put it, not the one with the TC registration included. I know it's gone now but at least get it for the last 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

dory wrote:
    Every time I help someone with their taxes they have the lower rate of flat rate expenses put it, not the one with the TC registration included. I know it's gone now but at least get it for the last 4 years.

Can that tax credit be claimed online? I just have flat rate expenses as far as I know..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

You can get free/reduced entry to historical sites in several EU countries with the TC card. I used mine in Rome and saved a good bit. They were a little sceptical of the crappy plastic card at the time. I guess the new print at home version will be rejected.

Imagine presenting this new printed 'card' seeking a discount! You'd feel a complete wally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

I still have my initial registration on the good quality glossy paper with the green on the back but I updated my subjects and got a page I could have printed myself.

I've never been asked for my card or that little bit of plastic they call a card.

Would it not be possible to issue 10 year cards on actual cards? It would save money and if a teacher retires/ doesn't pay, make it invalid - will it matter - no - we're never asked for them anyway.

Great idea, shops can issue us with proper cards, libraries, banks etc.Why can't TC. That makeshift plastic card is laughable couldn't believe it the first time I got mine. It's something you could easily lose as it's neither this nor that. Surely they can do better.

Blaizes wrote: »
    Great idea, shops can issue us with proper cards, libraries, banks etc.Why can't TC. That makeshift plastic card is laughable couldn't believe it the first time I got mine. It's something you could easily lose as it's neither this nor that. Surely they can do better.

And the ones from the library are free 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Perhaps they are banking on the fact that we, as teachers, are most likely out of all professional bodies to own/have access to at least two laminators!!
    But on a serious note, it's pretty shambolic that as a professional body, they cannot provide us with a decent card seeing as though we are tossing them €65 a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

In fairness they've probably been reading our posts telling them to take their card and xxx xxx xxxxx xxx xxx etc.

So at this stage it's a case of

Smails.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Can that tax credit be claimed online? I just have flat rate expenses as far as I know..

Yes. Just go into your PAYE anytime thing. When it comes to filling in your flat rate expenses select the one that says Other teacher PLUS Teaching council registration.

• Advertisement
Advertisement