Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LCVP

Options
  • 17-02-2019 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭

This year Department have moved date for final collection from MAY (with final exam) to March 6th. They plan to correct them over Easter!

This could happen with all Project work that has previously gone up with Exams ie like History LC.

Has this caught out people? Ie even though you were meant to collect them in March and put projects away until MAY. Did schools do this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

When is the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Bobtheman wrote: »
    This year Department have moved date for final collection from MAY (with final exam) to March 6th. They plan to correct them over Easter!

This could happen with all Project work that has previously gone up with Exams ie like History LC.

Has this caught out people? Ie even though you were meant to collect them in March and put projects away until MAY. Did schools do this??

So what if they have to be posted off in March? Surely that's fairer, and prevents some schools giving their students an advantage by letting them take until May to complete the portfolio.

There was a circular about it in January. Don't see how people could be caught out. My school takes up all portfolio work on the deadline, but I know some schools don't do that. About time they were pulled into line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Look they are Technically in their rights. But there was no indication they were going to do this. No hint. As to unfair advantage-come to my school and see who we are dealing with pupil wise. Some of them. Then tell me we have an advantage!

Look they are Technically in their rights. But there was no indication they were going to do this. No hint. As to unfair advantage-come to my school and see who we are dealing with pupil wise. Some of them. Then tell me we have an advantage!

A circular was sent out in January. It doesn't matter who you have in front of you. Projects should be submitted in March on the cut off date, students shouldn't have an extra 6 weeks in some schools and not in others.

If projects are being submitted on time, this isn't an issue.

Yes lets apply the letter of the law to 17 year olds. I wonder if I applied the letter of the law to my contract /duties what life would be like for students??

Flexibility is required day to day in classrooms and schools. Many students are still in the system because the School and teachers showed flexibility and didnt apply the strict letter of the law.
    The Department should have been clear since September they were going to apply this change.

Anyway Im not going to discuss ethics with anonymous posters who probably dont teach LCVP

• Advertisement

Students seem to manage fine with the timetable that is set for the LC exams for every other subject.

A deadline is a deadline. So presuming you give them a further two months to complete the project which is more than other students get, do they manage to have the portfolio completed by the first Wednesday in May? Isn't that a deadline? If they can comply with that deadline then they can comply with the actual deadline. And I have taught LCVP.

Students seem to manage fine with the timetable that is set for the LC exams for every other subject.

A deadline is a deadline. So presuming you give them a further two months to complete the project which is more than other students get, do they manage to have the portfolio completed by the first Wednesday in May? Isn't that a deadline? If they can comply with that deadline then they can comply with the actual deadline. And I have taught LCVP.

Most Students in Ireland took the extra time as few schools collected them up. Thats a fact. It was a poor system. They should always been shipped off to SEC in March. Leaving them in schools was like asking poachers to be game keepers. Its one of the reasons why the ASTI fought so hard to avoid assessing our own pupils.
    As for your sweeping statement about pupils managing fine with other subjects I cant comment. We could go and discuss the rampant writing of projects by teachers sometime but I couldnt be arsed. And No I dont write LCVP portfolios.

RE MAY-they were shipped off in May To SEC. They were 'stored'in schools until then. Look the whole subject is riddled with fault lines. The subject options criteria is nonsense. The marking is criminal. But I grow tired and weary . Hoping to ditch it

Most Students in Ireland took the extra time as few schools collected them up. Thats a fact. It was a poor system. They should always been shipped off to SEC in March. Leaving them in schools was like asking poachers to be game keepers. Its one of the reasons why the ASTI fought so hard to avoid assessing our own pupils.
    As for your sweeping statement about pupils managing fine with other subjects I cant comment. We could go and discuss the rampant writing of projects by teachers sometime but I couldnt be arsed. And No I dont write LCVP portfolios.

RE MAY-they were shipped off in May To SEC. They were 'stored'in schools until then. Look the whole subject is riddled with fault lines. The subject options criteria is nonsense. The marking is criminal. But I grow tired and weary . Hoping to ditch it

Do you have any evidence to back up this sweeping statement?

Leaving them in schools is asking teachers to act like professionals, i.e. take them up the day they are due. The exam secretary should take delivery of them from the teacher and store them away somewhere under lock and key.

Do you have any evidence to back up this sweeping statement?

Leaving them in schools is asking teachers to act like professionals, i.e. take them up the day they are due. The exam secretary should take delivery of them from the teacher and store them away somewhere under lock and key.

Groan . The power has gone to your head! Tick that box lieutenant

Your colleagues must miss you deeply this week;)"

Not got anything better to say for yourself than insulting posters?

• Advertisement

Not got anything better to say for yourself than insulting posters?

If you think that's insulting you have a thin skin. Anyway I don't know you so how can you be offended by anything I say ?! I altered it pretty soon. Adios.
    I don't plan on posting again.

Advertisement