Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Item Repair and Brexit

• 15-02-2019 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭

I purchased something online from the UK back in September. It developed a fault in January and I sent it back for repair. They admitted it was faulty and are repairing it free of charge...however are telling me now it could take 6 weeks to repair and then they have to still send it back to me! Im a bit worried in the case of a no deal Brexit that if it arrives after, Revenue will try to charge me customs vat etc. when it arrives back. Its over €150 in value. I owned the item since Sept and returned it in Jan via An Post Registered. I know we all have no idea what will happen with Brexit but if they did try to charge me when it arrives back does anyone know if I can show the order confirmation from September 2018 showing that I already owned it prior to Brexit and I also will have owned the item for more than 6 months.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Proof that the item was owned in Ireland prior to any changes *should* be sufficient even in the most onerous customs regime that could come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To be honest, you’re overthinking it. We simply don’t know yet how Brexit will land, and therefore we don’t know what regime will be in place.

You own the item and as long as you can prove that, it will be fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The product is yours, there is no VAT/C&E applicable due to "goods re-imported that were exported from the European Union" exemption as a worse case scenario of a hard-Brexit and the documentation you mention are enough

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement