Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Job cancellation

Options
  • 14-02-2019 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

I verbally agreed to get some work done after a guy came to my house to look at it. After agreeing price the guy mentioned it would be 13.5% more if I didnt pay cash. Thought about it, decided this wasn't ok and messaged him the next morning to cancel. No response.

My understanding is you can cancel something like this within 14 days by law. Wondering if he might turn up and take issue. Probably won't be an issue, but thought I'd run it by people here to verify my position.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I verbally agreed to get some work done after a guy came to my house to look at it. After agreeing price the guy mentioned it would be 13.5% more if I didnt pay cash. Thought about it, decided this wasn't ok and messaged him the next morning to cancel. No response.

My understanding is you can cancel something like this within 14 days by law. Wondering if he might turn up and take issue. Probably won't be an issue, but thought I'd run it by people here to verify my position.

13.5 % is vat which he is required by law to charge , if he was looking for cash he hasn't a leg to stand on,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

What was the scale and scope of the work to be carried out?
    He's looking to avoid paying tax, so as mentioned above, he can't really complain too much.
    But be aware, for whoever you try to hire next, and make sure he's clear about the price and vat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

There won't be a response as he wanted a cash in hand job. No vat charge which is illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Tell him you will report him to Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I'd say there is no chance of him turning up or you even hearing from him again unless you make contact yourself. Nothing to worry about.

As a side point - text message is not the way to communicate in this type of situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement