Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for .223

• 10-02-2019 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

I'm in the market for a. 223 full kit for foxes. I've seen Savage and a Ruger rifle. Just wondering what to look out for in a second hand rifle and what would be ok to pay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

I'm in the market for a. 223 full kit for foxes. I've seen Savage and a Ruger rifle. Just wondering what to look out for in a second hand rifle and what would be ok to pay.

Following

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I'm in the market for a. 223 full kit for foxes. I've seen Savage and a Ruger rifle. Just wondering what to look out for in a second hand rifle

Forearmed is forewarned so hit Google and search for the brands. It’ll give you general opinion on each make or model and good and bad points.

First impressions from a visual inspection go a long way so assess overall condition of the rifle and pay attention to the crown. Shoulder thebrifle, does the bolt cycle smoothly and do the components function as intended. How does the rifle feel in the shoulder, does it fit you? Remember with a scope you may need an adjustable riser for a good and consistent sight picture.

Also look for,
    - a dealer with a good reputation
    - a person whose opinion you trust to go with you and view rifles (depending on your knowledge and confidence)
    and what would be ok to pay.

Sky’s the limit. Depends on what components you add to your package. You’ll pay more for the sought after and reputable rifle and scope brands. My own rifle for example
    Tikka T3 tactical, 1 in 8, MAE mod and a Hawke Frontier scope,
    would command 1500 IMHO if I was to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭clivej

I have the CZ varmint in 223, with the kavlar stock and bedding plate. Very accurate and has shot under 2" at 300m with hornady 40gr vmax

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jamesshooter

clivej wrote: »
    I have the CZ varmint in 223, with the kavlar stock and bedding plate. Very accurate and has shot under 2" at 300m with hornady 40gr vmax

Looking for a full kit really. Thanks anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I moved this thread out from the for sale section as it was more of a "what would people recommend" type of thread.

However if you're after a full kit then may i suggest this as a thread which you can place in the for sale section.

"Wanted:

223 bolt action rifle.

Preferred brands are Savage, Ruger or Remington, but most makes considered. Must have scope, rings, and subject to licensing a suppressor. IOW the full kit, ready to shoot.

Budget is **INSERT BUDGET**.

What have you.

TIA.
    "
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lads,

Before this turns into a for sale thread let me just remind everyone, it's not. This is a discussion thread, and if the OP starts a for sale thread then lash away, but any mention of buying/selling on this thread will be removed.

As i said above to the OP start a thread in the for sale section, label it as Wanted, and use something similar to what i wrote above. All offers can go in that thread.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Ok I'll try again then. What is your budget as this can guide the recommendations you will get. As said above you can buy cheap but I wouldn't its cheap for a reason or you can go into the thousands.
    You mention for foxes but will this be its only use or do you plan on doing a bit of target shooting as well.
    There is no point in people recommending expensive rifles if thats not where the OP is at. Could you give us a bit more info please.
    At the end of the day you are better of looking in a few dealers to see whats there and what takes your fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I have the .223 savage axis xp 10. Was a great rifle for foxes. But it went faulty on me and as some lads here may know that was down to being lied about the amount of rounds gone through the gun before not I bought it. But I do wish I bought it brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭pm.

I recently bought a.223, my original plan was to buy a Howa 1500 heavy barrel stainless but I couldn't find one. These are a very accurate rifle and great value for money.

I'm the end I bought. Steyr pro varmint with a stainless steel heave barrel. I am delighted with it. I bought the rifle second hand for around €1100 but the rifle was like new. Extremely accurate and not too heavy to be carrying.

Luckily I had a scope a s&b 3x12x50 with the illuminated sights, ideal for lamping. The scope is worth than the rifle and as the lads have said your budget is really important.

A lot of the time the scope is worth as much as or more than a rifle.

There are some great value scopes that come with a lifetime warranty and one that I have used and still do is the sightron. They can range from 250; to over 1k.

I would recommend a heave barrel tbh as the speed of the.223 will heat up any light barrel in 4/5 shots, especially if you plan on using the gun at a range. Best of luck with your choice

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

I have a CZ varmint with thumb hole stock. Extremely accurate . Heavy at about 12 lbs but I love it. I find a round bale is great to shoot off it just takes any little vibration that may come from the shot. I'd be CZ for ever

• Advertisement
Advertisement