Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DoneDeal Scam

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

368100 wrote: »
    No bank is going to check every payment matches name and account number......volume of transactions are too high and too many variables in the information sent, can be spelling mistakes etc. Only obligations the bank has is to record source of funds, report suspicious money laundering ....and ensure the payment is properly authorised from the account its coming from.

In terms of matching account and name, maybe so but a code of practice exists in the terms and conditions of every account you open.

If an amount is incorrectly debited or credited to your Account, the Bank may make any necessary correcting entries to the Account without the need for approval from you. In certain circumstances the Bank may request your authority to recover a misdirected payment which has been credited to the Account. If your authority is not forthcoming, the Bank will provide such of your details as may be required to the relevant payer in order to assist their recover of such misdirected payment.

The key is to make the Bank act. Fraud should be the first port of call. It is theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Sorry to hear you got caught for the money.
    Not trying to get away from your problem. But has anyone using donedeal seen the complete bo***x they have made of there app. Can't even view all new adds anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

STB. wrote: »
    In terms of matching account and name, maybe so but a code of practice exists in the terms and conditions of every account you open.

If an amount is incorrectly debited or credited to your Account, the Bank may make any necessary correcting entries to the Account without the need for approval from you. In certain circumstances the Bank may request your authority to recover a misdirected payment which has been credited to the Account. If your authority is not forthcoming, the Bank will provide such of your details as may be required to the relevant payer in order to assist their recover of such misdirected payment.

The key is to make the Bank act. Fraud should be the first port of call. It is theft.

But it wasn't a misdirected payment, it went to where the OP sent it, and authorised it to be sent.

Terms and conditions are mainly to cover the bank, I don't know any bank that would refer to a code of practice being contained within them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Sorry OP. I was hoping against hope that you'd have posted good news. It's a lot to get stung for no matter how much money you might have to your name

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

A local radio station would be worth a shot, even the Healy Rae’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

368100 wrote: »
    But it wasn't a misdirected payment, it went to where the OP sent it, and authorised it to be sent.

Terms and conditions are mainly to cover the bank, I don't know any bank that would refer to a code of practice being contained within them

The code of practice exists on every account you open. Thats from BOI's.

I do agree that the Banks first port of call in this instance is to pursue fraudulent account holders, those using an account for fraudulent purposes. I think the OP is a member of the same Bank which should make it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Thanks to all contributors. I made the call to AIB and they've taken my statement and forwarded the information onto the AIB fraud team who I was told will attempt to return the funds to me if they are still in the offenders account. I was advised to also file a report with the Gardaí just for my own personal records going forward. After I make my Garda Report there isn't much else I can do.

Nice one. I hope you get your money back with the banks help.dont forget to light a candle to st Anthony asking that the scammer dies roaring and fattens until they burst.

Any luck since op.did they manage to track Down the thief or had you any contact since.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

DoneDeal is not the most secure site out there, a few years back I was selling a car and the price changed a few times which caught my eye, I contacted DD and they told me I logged onto their site via a message sent to me and that it wasn't a true DD site and "they" got my password and were altering my ads. Boll1x, none of that happened as I would never log onto DD or any website via a link, I'm not that stupid, I only ever use my bookmarks from my PC.
    DD maintained their side of the story, I took the ad down and haven't used DD to buy or sell since.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote:
    DoneDeal is not the most secure site out there, a few years back I was selling a car and the price changed a few times which caught my eye, I contacted DD and they told me I logged onto their site via a message sent to me and that it wasn't a true DD site and "they" got my password and were altering my ads. Boll1x, none of that happened as I would never log onto DD or any website via a link, I'm not that stupid, I only ever use my bookmarks from my PC. DD maintained their side of the story, I took the ad down and haven't used DD to buy or sell since.

That's nothing to do with Done Deal. It's not that their site isn't secure. You allowed your login details to be stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Have we any update on this??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I wouldn’t buy a second hand Irish phone under 36 months old ever. It could be blacklisted, insurance scam etc. If you really have to buy a used iPhone X/8 etc buy it unlocked from abroad. That way if it is later falsely reported stolen it’ll still work in Ireland. PayPal or debit/credit payment method only.

Search iPhone X bad ESN on eBay. You’ll get a blacklisted Verizon CDMA iPhone cheaply. Verizon don’t lock their post pay devices and their iPhones (post iPhone 4s) support both GSM and CDMA. They activate and work perfectly outside the USA.
    The majority of these phones are blacklisted due to non payment of device/bills.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.ie/ulk/itm/283381117329

Example above. iPhone 7 256gb. Parts only in USA but in Ireland just pop in the sim and it’ll work perfectly. Find my iPhone/iCloud turned off

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Just read from start to finish in the hope it would turn up

It's a no brainer to report to bank and guards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

august12 wrote: »

I'd say the OP is unlikely to ever get one themselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    That's nothing to do with Done Deal. It's not that their site isn't secure. You allowed your login details to be stolen.

You need to reread my post again, I did nothing except to log onto DoneDeal the normal way...anyhow bit OT

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote:
    You need to reread my post again, I did nothing except to log onto DoneDeal the normal way...anyhow bit OT

You said in your post that you logged into your account through a fake text message and the crooks stole your details

august12 wrote: »

No and I’m vexed over it. I wanted to hear what happened next.
    I hope in a weird twist of fate the scammer fell into a septic tank cos they were walking along counting their money and not watching where they were walking and drowned in a tank of sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

No and I’m vexed over it. I wanted to hear what happened next.
    I hope in a weird twist of fate the scammer fell into a septic tank cos they were walking along counting their money and not watching where they were walking and drowned in a tank of sh1te
    These threads annoy me when I get a beginning, a middle and no end. It's not fair OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Killarney2988

Any luck since op.did they manage to track Down the thief or had you any contact since.
    Heard nothing back from AIB as of yet. If I don't hear anything next week, I'll follow up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You said in your post that you logged into your account through a fake text message and the crooks stole your details

That's what DD told them happened. The poster is denying clicking on any links in messages.

• Advertisement

Heard nothing back from AIB as of yet. If I don't hear anything next week, I'll follow up with them.

Stay after them until it’s resolved.

Advertisement